Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Parker Dam , California
General Question on AS trailer - 1972 Ambassador

I recently purchased a 1972 31ft Trailer. One metal label on the right side of the body says, Land Yacht. The other label says, Ambassador. The other label which is red,white,and blue says Airstream International. Can anyone explain which model do I use? Is it an International Ambassador or International Land Yacht? Does anyone else out there own a 1972 31 ft Airstream Trailer??

Thanks

This Site is awesome!!! Everyone is very helpful, Thanks again
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

OK VAC people, help me out here.

Until some year or another, ALL Airstreams were Land Yachts. During your model year, A particular name denoted a particular length - ie all '72 Ambassadors were that length, and vice versa. And International denoted a particular set of options or trim.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Mark has it right, but all Ambassadors were 29 footers in the 70's. The international package would have option in it like a double step, AC, water filter, upgraded upholstery, vista view windows, etc. It changed form year to year so it is hard to know what was normally included.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
My 72 Overlander is an "International Land Yacht." Sounds pretty regal, doesn't it?

Like everyone said, there are options that were available for the Int's. From what I could gather from my owners manual, things like extra 110 and 12V plugs were options. Steps, and one thing I am curious about.... The manual says that the Internationals had larger waste tanks 21 gal. vs. 14, and larger HW heaters. 10 gal. vs 6 gallon. I don't have Vista View windows . Some day if I get to a rally I can compare features.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Land Yachts are still with us. I walked past a motor home this weekend that didn't remind me of Airstream, but it was labeled, "Land Yacht by Airstream". It also looked brand new. I don't keep up with motor homes, but this one looked more like a box than those that i see at Vintage ralleys.

Jim
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Alex, I have a 1972 31 footer. Mine is an International. Mine does not say Ambassador on any of the tags.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:59 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The plate by the door on mine says Airstream Land Yacht, then right next to it is a plate that says Sovereign, then the plate on the side stripe says International. And I thought all I bought was an Airstream So I guess you could say I have a 1975 Airstream Sovereign International Land Yacht! Try and day that in one breath BTW I have Vista Views( can't see much of Vista out of them ) extra step, 10 gal HWH separate stove and Oven, extra plugs and 31' of aluminum that needs polishing

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:06 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to fundave
Smile

With Airstreams ya never know what ya got, till ya aint got it no more. The names change but the quality remains
fundave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1972 ambassador