Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1970 -1973 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to Rivetedude
Post Found One- 1973 Ambassador!

Tomorrow, I will go pick up my 1973 29' Land Yacht Ambassador! I'm pretty excited. I did some trading with a buddy and came up with some cash and tomorrow it's mine! EVERYTHING works perfectly in this trailer...including the original 8-track stereo. The patio and window awnings have just been replaced and haven't even been pulled out yet.

The only thing that might need some attention is the entry door. It sticks out a little at the top-front like it's a little warped or something. The previous owner rigged it with an extra seal around the top to stop drafts, but it's something I will want to fix or have fixed. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Will I have to take it back to Airstream? Will the whole door have to be replaced? A friend said the door might be sprung, but it closes fine. It's just pulled out...(not creased at all).

Either way, I'm pleased as poopie to finally earn my place here as an official owner and can't wait to get out there. I hear the biggest rally of the year is coming up in Jax Ctr this coming weekend. Prolly too late to get a spot though. Wish me luck and anybody with similar door problems, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
Rivetedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Ben, do a search on door repair. It seems I remember reading that this type of problem can be caused by the door flying open while you're rolling down the road ("warped door syndrome"). BTW, do you know how jellous I am that you found a trailer that everything works? Our story is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15132

Congrats and have fun!

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up door jam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadude
Tomorrow, I will go pick up my 1973 29' Land Yacht Ambassador! I'm pretty excited.
Congrats Ben, It sounds like a great find. Good luck on your "stork" trip tomorrow to bring home the new addition to the family

I have an untested theory that the door is okay but the camper is moving. Heavy air conditioners or just time causes the roof to settle...opening up a gap at the top of the door...Like I said it's just a theory. The fix is to pursuade the door to match the shape of the opening. I hear it involves 2x4s and many owners choose not to watch.

Keep the Detroit rally in mind for August. A number of us from Ohio will be attending.

Steve
Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
[QUOTE=sfixx]I have an untested theory that the door is okay but the camper is moving. Heavy air conditioners or just time causes the roof to settle...opening up a gap at the top of the door...Like I said it's just a theory.

I was kind of thinking something like that but the gap is only on one side of the top of the door and it's the front side at that. I think the wind is probably the culprit here. Airstream does make all of their doors open the wrong way. I sell RV's for a living and Airstream is the only one with "suicide" doors. Either way, the repair is the same...something I won't want to watch.

Ben
Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

[QUOTE=Ironheadude]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I have an untested theory that the door is okay but the camper is moving. Heavy air conditioners or just time causes the roof to settle...opening up a gap at the top of the door...Like I said it's just a theory.

I was kind of thinking something like that but the gap is only on one side of the top of the door and it's the front side at that. I think the wind is probably the culprit here. Airstream does make all of their doors open the wrong way. I sell RV's for a living and Airstream is the only one with "suicide" doors. Either way, the repair is the same...something I won't want to watch.

Ben
I think you might have a good conspiracy theory about the door thing. The way you can tell that a conspiracy is working is by the lack of all evidence!
Ironheadude-please keep in mind that the Detroit Rally is going to be coming up this August 26-28th! We would love to have you there. You can see what all of us have been doing to our vintage Airstreams and Argosys. You can also check out some newer ones as well!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I'd love to see what others are doing with their vintage Airstreams! I've got so many ideas. My dad works at a company that manufactures commercial dishwashers. I can get lot's of sheet stainless from him. Thinking about lots of stainless accents inside. Might make stainless slats and redo all of my tambour doors....Wouldn't that look great!

Ben
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
I'd love to see what others are doing with their vintage Airstreams! I've got so many ideas. My dad works at a company that manufactures commercial dishwashers. I can get lot's of sheet stainless from him. Thinking about lots of stainless accents inside. Might make stainless slats and redo all of my tambour doors....Wouldn't that look great!

Ben
That would be cool but watch the weight of what you add. You may very well make it too heavy on one side or the other.
I hope you can make the rally this summer. Please view the active thread labeled "Detroit Rally Vote!".
Hope you can make it. It might put you light years ahead by seeing what all of us have done and to get ideas from those who will have newer ones there.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Ben your idea about stainless accents is great. We are trying to do the same thing. Looked at some pictures of satinless showers on one of the threads, they were really cool. Do you have any 8 tracks to play? We want to go to a rally to and see what others have done. Haven't investigated enough on what would be best for us. Join the main wbccci or a local unit. What's best Lou. It's confusing. Ben I've heard the phrase pleased as punch, but never pleased as poopie.

Good luck tomorrow
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by early
Ben your idea about stainless accents is great. We are trying to do the same thing. Looked at some pictures of satinless showers on one of the threads, they were really cool. Do you have any 8 tracks to play? We want to go to a rally to and see what others have done. Haven't investigated enough on what would be best for us. Join the main wbccci or a local unit. What's best Lou. It's confusing. Ben I've heard the phrase pleased as punch, but never pleased as poopie.

Good luck tomorrow
Dawn
What's best for what, Dawn?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Found One!

Greetings Ben!

Congratulations on the find!

Quote:
The only thing that might need some attention is the entry door. It sticks out a little at the top-front like it's a little warped or something. The previous owner rigged it with an extra seal around the top to stop drafts, but it's something I will want to fix or have fixed. Any ideas as to what would cause this? Will I have to take it back to Airstream? Will the whole door have to be replaced? A friend said the door might be sprung, but it closes fine. It's just pulled out...(not creased at all).
It sounds like you have a door that has been "sprung" by being blown open while in-transit or caught by high winds when parked. Both of my coaches had this problem when I first acquired them -- since I know that the door frames can be damaged if the repair isn't performed properly, I had Ace Fogdall RV (Cedar Falls, IA) repair each of the doors -- the repairs have been a success and I haven't had any further problems (eight years and counting on the Overlander, two years and counting on the Minuet).

Quote:
Either way, I'm pleased as poopie to finally earn my place here as an official owner and can't wait to get out there. I hear the biggest rally of the year is coming up in Jax Ctr this coming weekend. Prolly too late to get a spot though. Wish me luck and anybody with similar door problems, any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
If you are thinking of the Airstream Homecoming Rally, it is a little more than two weeks away -- May 31 through June 5, 2005. See:

Airstream Homecoming Rally 2005 -- Details

You also aren't too very far from the site of the WBCCI International Rally where there is always a large Vintage section. The International runs from June 28 through July 4, 2005 in Springfield, MO. See:

WBCCI International Rally, Springfield, MO -- 2005

I will be attending these two Rallies as well as the WBCCI Region 4 Rally -- and if all goes as planned my '75 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible will be serving as the tow vehicle for the Minuet. The Region 4 WBCCI Rally in Fremont, OH (Sandusky County Fairground) from May 23 through May 29, 2005 is also on my travel itinierary. See:

WBCCI Region 4 Rally Information

While I cannot be absolutely certain, my intuition says that you shouldn't have any problem making reservations for any one of these Rallies.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Ben,
If you would like to attend the Detroit Forums Rally you can caravan with sfixx and loudruff. Of course you will have the only unpainted Argosy!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Lou do you have to join the wbcci or a local unit to go to a rally. I don't understand how that works. You have a rally in michigan, is it just memebers of your unit? I guess I need to read the old threads on the wbcci.

dawn
Old 05-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Lou do you have to join the wbcci or a local unit to go to a rally. I don't understand how that works. You have a rally in michigan, is it just memebers of your unit? I guess I need to read the old threads on the wbcci.

dawn
Dawn,
What we have put together was a "Forums Rally". You don't have to be in the WBCCI in order to come to a forums rally. Heck, you can set up one of your own forums rally's down in Mississippi!
We have a Metro-Detroit WBCCI Unit that is putting on a "Buddy Rally" that will allow one of the WBCCI members to invite as many Airstream or Argosy owning firends to attend the rally. You can contact the WBCCI at www.wbcci.org and they will forward your contact information to the Units that are local to you.
The unique thing about the Metro-Detroit unit is that it is mostly working people. I do hear some people say that the WBCCI is for older folks. Well, it is if none of us join.
I would find out what forums members are near you and then start conversing with them. See what you can set up! If you need any help or advice let me know!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Found One!

Greetings Dawn!

Quote:

dawn
The only time you usually need to be a member of the WBCCI to attend a Rally is one that is sponsored by a Unit or Region of the WBCCI or the WBCCI itself. There is an exception for "Buddy" rallies where non-WBCCI-members are welcomed as guests. Of the rallies that I mentioned in my earlier post, the only two that require WBCCI membership are the WBCCI Region 4 Rally, and the WBCCI International Rally. As a member of WBCCI, you can attend any of the rallies -- for instance, I am a member of Region 7 (Wisconsin Unit), but I will be attending the Region 4 Rally for the second time.

The Airstream Homecoming Rally is sponsored by Airstream/Thor, and is open to all owners of Airstream Products. In general, Forum rallies are informally organized, where each of the participants handles his/her own reservations with the selected campground.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

How about if we give this thread back to the original post of buying his first Airstream!
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin and Lou. That helps alot. Didn't mean to hog your thread Ben. Look forward to hearing about your trip tomorrow. Dawn
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
Hey, no problem aobut the club posts! Actually I was kind of hoping to get some info on the clubs and which I should join etc. The homecomming is the rally I was talking about. Jackson Center is right down the road and it wouldn't be an expensive "spur of the moment" decision to go. I'll probably contact our factory rep for registration info unless any of you guys have the details.

About my stainless tambours, I never thought of the weight issue...maybe I'll use aluminum. Most of them are on one side and those slats are pretty thick. You get a couple thousand of the stainless ones on one side...yeah, that'd be pretty heavy...Thanks!

Ben
Old 05-09-2005, 06:59 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
[QUOTE=Ironheadude]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfixx
I have an untested theory that the door is okay but the camper is moving. Heavy air conditioners or just time causes the roof to settle...opening up a gap at the top of the door...Like I said it's just a theory.

Ben
We have a similar problem with our trailer, the PO of our trailer forgot where he put his keys, and his family had to pull the door out enough to unlock the door from the inside, now the top of the door sticks out a little. I have done the same thing as your PO has done, an extra gasket at the top to keep drafts and water out.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Ben...congrats on getting your 29' membership card! You're very fortunate to not only be in the industry, but also be about 25 miles from ground zero where it all happens.

Congrats and enjoy! Post some pic if you have time.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 07:35 AM   #20
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

Ben

its been done. a member of our local unit replaced his tambour w/ something like that. not sure if its actually "stainless", but it is definately "shiny metal". looks cool! and, it doesn't expand/contract w/ the weather and get sticky. check the outwater plastics catalog...that's probably where he got the material. www.outwaterplastics.com
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1973 ambassador