Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #156
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
All things eventually fail.

So, it seems the engine in my truck is near complete failure. I'm looking for a new engine. I'd like to have a 383 built (torque), but that would cost two arms and a leg, so I'm looking for a more economical crate engine that will last another 40 years.
I called the local GMC dealer. When I got the parts department, I asked what a Goodwrench 350 crate engine would cost. The noob on the other end of the line asked what it was for. I told him a 1970 C20. He replied with "Sorry, my catalog only goes back to 1982." I said, OK how much for a small block 350 crate engine? His reply, "What vehicle is this for?"

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #157
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
At that point I think I would have asked for the old guy that is sweeping the floor in the showroom.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #158
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
bring it up here

I have a local shop that does that type job....inexpensive (as can be) and reliable...backs up his work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri Power in 350.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	154204  
Old 03-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #159
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Smile Up there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I have a local shop that does that type job....inexpensive (as can be) and reliable...backs up his work.
Thanks Rob, I'll give you a call later on today. Might be difficult for me to get it up there I doubt I could get it stuffed in the trunk of my BMW.
I have had a word of mouth recommendation for a shop close by. Hopefully it pans out.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #160

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
When the parts-chimp at a GM dealer doesn't realize that the 350 was introduced when his dad (or possibly granddad!) was in high school and a big part of its popularity is that the core of the engine stayed pretty much the same for 40+ years, it's pretty clear he doesn't know much about his job. Very sad.

Just tell him '82 for a price... I'd bet you $20 it would bolt right in.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #161
x

XXXX , XXXX
5.7 Ltr - 350 C.I.D. - GM ENGINE 1971-1985 New 10067353
Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #162
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Scoggin-Dickey has been (or still is) the "giant" in online GM crate engines. They're in Lubbock.

Try to find the HP/TQ graph on the cam in this GMPP HT-383 motor:

GM Performance Parts 12499101 - HT383 Performance Crate Engine, 340 HP, 435 ft lbs | SDParts - 1-800-456-0211

A 350 uses (needs) a slightly different cam, but this motor is the "ideal" for your application so far as the relation between compression ratio, cam lift & duration, etc. A 350 will come in lower on the numbers, but the area under the curve in a dyno graph is what I'd keep as reference in researching others. This one has the torque come on early and stay late. Flat.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...est/index.html

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...mpp/index.html

With this kind of curve the point at which one shifts will have good recovery into the next gear (like a big block) without having to wind it out way out (as is the norm with a smallblock).

I strongly favor the vacuum secondary QuadraJet as the part-throttle adjustment makes for higher economy (vacuum readings) once the correct metering rods are chosen. This is a big deal, IMO, for a tow vehicle.

Other than that I'd really prefer a HOWELL TBI kit (which they can customize to your vehicle and use. They've been around for 25-years or more. Bulletproof. And that motor will last a lot longer.

Good luck.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #163
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
So, it seems the engine in my truck is near complete failure. I'm looking for a new engine. I'd like to have a 383 built (torque), but that would cost two arms and a leg, so I'm looking for a more economical crate engine that will last another 40 years.
I called the local GMC dealer. When I got the parts department, I asked what a Goodwrench 350 crate engine would cost. The noob on the other end of the line asked what it was for. I told him a 1970 C20. He replied with "Sorry, my catalog only goes back to 1982." I said, OK how much for a small block 350 crate engine? His reply, "What vehicle is this for?"
Hey Lance,
Pick up a couple of Street Rod/Hot Rod mags, there are a bunch of companies advertising in there that have all levels of small block crate motors. Pick your torque, HP & what you want to spend & away you go.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #164
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd love to have the 383, but its just too much money. I do tow with this truck, but not enough to really need the 383. I think I'll be going with this one. This is the cheapest advertised price I can find for the 290 HP 350 crate engine. The Howell TBI kit looks like a deal too.
Time to go crack open the piggy bank.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #165
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That's an easy-running high-vacuum engine good for mpg. Might be marginal for towing (as a business truck; I had this setup in a '77 Impala wagon with 3.08 non-stock gears @ 4,400-lbs). It's really more for a car than a truck, and in towing it has to work hard. In a truck, even harder without an effective rear gear ratio (engine rpm against tire revolutions).

I'd like to recommend the acquisition of the following information at present, before engine installation is done:

1] Vehicle weight
2] Tire height (and rpms per mile)
3] Rear axle gear ratio
4] Torque converter stall speed
5] Engine compression ratio
6] Camshaft specification
7] GPS check of speed against corrected rpm: 35, 45, 55, 65 mph
8] Vacuum readings of solo/unladen truck at same [corrected] speeds

Comparison of old engine and new engine will help with any future contemplated changes. (And with all ignition and fuel delivery timing). Depth of records is your friend.

The money, the power in an engine is in the heads. Air flow. In & out. The old first step in improving a motor (economy, not just hot rod) is in better head airflow specs. To take advantage of that one must have a camshaft to meet that ability and compression that can support it.

195°/202° -- .390"/.410" @ 112° duration. Part #12364050

Stock 350 8:2 Stock Ex Manifold & exhaust (dual)

Dyno TQ = 272 @2600, 283 @ 3000, 305 @ 3500

245-HP (@5k) is more likely 170-HP at the rear wheels. Peak TQ of 305 (@3.5k) may be 250. Where those numbers peak is great overall.

It's easy to swap a cam on a longblock prior to installation. Cams aren't expensive. Or, later, with a better set of heads and matched cam, make sure tire height, gear ratio, stall speed is compatible with a heavier and heavier work truck. All the above requested information must work together. Like hitch rigging, the better the info provided a builder or an aftermarket supplier the closer to ideal is met.

IOW, it can't hurt to ask around per online request forms what cam manufacturers may recommend. They will recommend something, so look up cam graphs to compare that area under the curve and look at it against your numbers (as above request). The cam in the motor contemplated has been around about 40-years.

If today your truck has 3.08 gears and you want to go to 3.54 (for those oversize tires you are running [?], IIRC, they hurt power, braking and mpg), as the truck is struggling when working for your business the above info is basic for any/all performance changes. 3.31 gears and stock sized tires might be perfect.

A single 3" o.d. mandrel-bent exhaust (no crimps) is ideal where the exit to the system is at or near the tailgate (angled at side) with a zero back pressure muffler (engine has to be tuned for this).

Someday, heavy-gauge headers (14-ga) in a Tri-Y configuration is a worthwhile upgrade with a hi-flow Y-connector for the exhaust join. It allows the engine to hang on longer when above 1,500-rpm (the optimistic number where airflow is slowed with stock manifolds), and are good for economy. Economy is best vacuum reading is highest when the engine is under load at the preferred road speed.

The old rule-of-thumb about towing is that the TV cruise at just under or near peak torque running the roads. Next to no throttle movement is needed to maintain the same headway when it is set up this way. It's also almost ideal for economy (short of an overdrive gear).

It could be that gears and tire size are changes that are of best benefit first if performance (mpg or grunt) is not what was expected. The HOWELL TBI unit is a good idea at any stage.

We're already looking forward to pics of the new motor.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #166
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
That's why they call it a "crate" engine.

Thanks for the excellent post Ross. Lots of great information there. Hey, congrats on the new job!
The truck is a Custom Camper/20 so it has a very low gear, but I'm not sure exactly what the ratio is. It also has a Gear Vendors OD unit and headers.
The new crate engine arrived yesterday. I'm having CenTex Truck and Trailer install it for me, as I have lots of work to do at the shop. Hopefully they will be done with it by the end of next week. I need to get it broken in so I can use it to tow to the Lonestar VAC rally at the end of the month. Here is a pic for you.

Name:	IMAG0618.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	155711

Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #167
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Thanks for the excellent post Ross. Lots of great information there. Hey, congrats on the new job!
The truck is a Custom Camper/20 so it has a very low gear, but I'm not sure exactly what the ratio is. It also has a Gear Vendors OD unit and headers.
The new crate engine arrived yesterday. I'm having CenTex Truck and Trailer install it for me, as I have lots of work to do at the shop. Hopefully they will be done with it by the end of next week. I need to get it broken in so I can use it to tow to the Lonestar VAC rally at the end of the month. Here is a pic for you.
Attachment 155711
Looks like fun! Reminds me of the good ol days at the pick and pull junk yards scabbing my crappy cars together. Except instead of a cherry picker I had an oak tree and a come a long.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #168
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
The guy that I grew up across the street from is doing this now. It was a bit of a gear head rodeo town, I miss it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blown money 2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	155714   Click image for larger version

Name:	blown money 3.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	155715  

Name:	blown money bill.jpg