Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #121
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKO92 View Post
MAN! There are some serious skills on display, here. So, I feel comfortable asking whether you have an idea about a floor trim issue....
The toilet/bathroom area in the back of my 78 Argosy Minuet is being re-arranged. I installed a composting toilet (got rid of the blackwater tank) and now have a curved section of floor (opposite the shower pan) that intersects the curved wall.
I have bamboo flooring to install, and need to hold the edge down with trim. What material could be used to: 1) hold down the floor and 2) bend enough to match the curve of the wall?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Shannon in Athens, GA
Hmmm.... by "hold down the floor" I'm assuming that you're installing a floating floor? I've never been able to abide them, personally. Don't like the foot feel, and flexiness. In a bathroom, you could get seepage of "moisture" underneath, causing smells and rot. I would suggest a glue-down application, that's how I'm installing my bamboo floor. Once you no longer need to hold stuff down, you could do a very precise install of the bamboo, using a drawing compass to set the curve, then use some Big Stretch caulking to seal the edge. No molding at all!

Otherwise, you'd be dealing with a compound curve, which would be a molding nightmare. I've got some spiffy software called Lamina 3D that can take a 3D model and lay it out flat (a developed surface). So the trim piece would look like a shallow curve, so that it would lay back on to the inner skin of the trailer. Do this three times, if you're using 1/8" thick stock, and glue them together in place using some sort of ad-hoc arcane clamping system. Remove when set, and carefully shape and sand it fair. Hours of work, that may or may not look fantastic when you're done. I shudder to think of it!

Here's a tip for getting a perfect curved edge on your flooring: cut as close as you can with your jigsaw, band saw or (my fav) scroll saw. To get that last bit of perfect, use a sanding disk on a hand-held 4" to 4 1/2" to split the pencil line. The grinder can also back bevel the underside so that it fits tight, tight, tight!

One man's opinion... good luck!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 07:57 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
What happened to this project?
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote