Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I'm trying out some polished aluminum countertop edge molding, and a redesign of the bins. Looks like I did some architectural salvage from a zeppelin! Cabinet doors are inset now. The stereo and inverter/charger monitor are in a plastic panel that will have other switched and gauges as needed.

I mounted the new LED tail-end marker lights, and the new door light today. While I had the fixtures off, I did a full polishing of the areas around the lights.

Futzed with the porch/scare light; very frustrating! I have power there, I sanded down the connections, but the light bulb wouldn't light. Even tried a variety of bulbs! So I ordered a new fixture from Vintage Trailer, as they stock a drop-in replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04Airstream0000.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	203163   Click image for larger version

Name:	04Airstream0001.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	203164  

Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Any photos of those end markers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
I'm trying out some polished aluminum countertop edge molding, and a redesign of the bins. Looks like I did some architectural salvage from a zeppelin! Cabinet doors are inset now. The stereo and inverter/charger monitor are in a plastic panel that will have other switched and gauges as needed.

I mounted the new LED tail-end marker lights, and the new door light today. While I had the fixtures off, I did a full polishing of the areas around the lights.

Futzed with the porch/scare light; very frustrating! I have power there, I sanded down the connections, but the light bulb wouldn't light. Even tried a variety of bulbs! So I ordered a new fixture from Vintage Trailer, as they stock a drop-in replacement.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Nice job I like it. You got your TV area figured out yet?

Perry
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
That door light

For those of you contemplating replacing your light fixture over the door, I detailed my experiences as a product review at Vintage Trailer in the Home > Major Systems & Appliances > Electrical > Lights - Exterior > section. It's not a bolt-in replacement, but can work out well if care and painstaking modification is used. Just knowing that the light is switched by the ground leg before I started would have trimmed out a good deal of troubleshooting time!

My rear markers, per request. They are Maxxima M23015R Red 4" Combination Clearance Marker Lights, available on Amazon. Much brighter than the old double-bullseyes, nice and sealed up, too. The old fixture looked like it came out of a Cracker Jax box. Someone had neglected to actually hook up two of the markers, so I ran a new wire with the help of a trusty coathanger. Soon as it's dry out, I'll Vulkem them into place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-01-08 14.56.49.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	203202   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-01-08 14.58.34.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	203203  

Old 01-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Nice job I like it. You got your TV area figured out yet?

Perry
No real changes yet, though it is high on the list. Maybe I just am hesitant to model in the existing overhead compartment! The TV cabinet sets the width of the setee, so I have to do that cabinet first.

Interior demo starts this week, so that will give me many things to think about.
A question: is there anything behind where I marked the red circles? I'd like to put in some speakers there. The tambour goes behind the storage area, so that shouldn't interfere...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030494.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	203204  
Old 01-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't think there is anything behind that area. Have you looked inside that cabinet to see what is behind there? That whole end cap comes out as a single unit. I assume you are going to paint the end cap?

Perry
Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Check out this drop down TV mount. I think it is a pretty neat idea. It is in post #8.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...nt-112327.html

Perry
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I agree with Perry, I don't think anything is there other than some wiring possibly. There are no ribs behind the end cap either.

Kay
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
Maxima markers

So on your red markers, I'm hearing that they come with TWO wires and the trailers is supplying only one, how do you use both wires on the new markers?, I think my trailer has single wire to the markers but will find out for sure. Your advise would be welcomed.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyHomemakr View Post
For those of you contemplating replacing your light fixture over the door, I detailed my experiences as a product review at Vintage Trailer in the Home > Major Systems & Appliances > Electrical > Lights - Exterior > section. It's not a bolt-in replacement, but can work out well if care and painstaking modification is used. Just knowing that the light is switched by the ground leg before I started would have trimmed out a good deal of troubleshooting time!

My rear markers, per request. They are Maxxima M23015R Red 4" Combination Clearance Marker Lights, available on Amazon. Much brighter than the old double-bullseyes, nice and sealed up, too. The old fixture looked like it came out of a Cracker Jax box. Someone had neglected to actually hook up two of the markers, so I ran a new wire with the help of a trusty coathanger. Soon as it's dry out, I'll Vulkem them into place.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert View Post
So on your red markers, I'm hearing that they come with TWO wires and the trailers is supplying only one, how do you use both wires on the new markers?, I think my trailer has single wire to the markers but will find out for sure. Your advise would be welcomed.
Thanks.
It's easy, Albert, just put the ground wire (mine was white with a post-connector crimp connection on it) through the screw that connects your marker light. If you to get fancy, get some Di-Electric Grease (Radio Shack) to make sure that the fitting doesn't corrode. All of the black wires are tied together.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I don't think there is anything behind that area. Have you looked inside that cabinet to see what is behind there? That whole end cap comes out as a single unit. I assume you are going to paint the end cap?

Perry
The storage part ends before the curvy part begins. Seems like such a crime to waste so many cubic inches! I rather not remove all of those rivets if I don't have to...

I like that drop-down TV holder, but I think it would ruin the nice lines of the curved ceiling. Nordic Tugs are cool trawlers, just saw one on the Caloosahatchie River when I was helping my friend move his trimaran this last weekend.

Build a big drawer, add a couple of sliding bolts to the surface behind the setee, attach TV. What could be easier?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
I agree with Perry, I don't think anything is there other than some wiring possibly. There are no ribs behind the end cap either.

Kay
Guess I need to man-up and cut the hole! Having some tunes in the trailer will help with demo work. Beer in the fridge would be a good idea, too!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I like the double stack overhead cabinets but curious about how far they protrude. Would a tall person hit his head on the upper most cabinet while working on the counter?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Aerowood, I've been banging my head against the wall to solve that problem! The cabinet closest to the door houses an overhead vent that I don't want to move. I'll make that cabinet as close as possible to that, and move the new range top out as far as I can. The end cabinet is basically flush to the edge of the countertop, so it could be a head banger. The middle one is recessed, so all of the cooking/cleaning work will be done in that middle position. It'll be just big enough to house the stereo with the auxiliary TV screen.

Proportions will probably change when I get to mock-up stage.