Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Ambassador > 1970 -1973 Ambassador
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
Talking 29 Ft Airstream Ambassador 1972

We just bought our first Airstream. It's a 29 ft Ambassador that has been sitting in someones driveway for years. Luckily we don't have to tow it far, it's at the next town over. All the windows and screens look great. I suspect some rot under the bathroom area. Real torn wondering if I should remove everything and start all over. Totally re-do the interior? It needs paint and elbow grease and the exterior still has the plastic coat and hasnt been washed in years. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Images

kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Start with your floor,,, if it is bad you might as well tear it all out... My back is bad, but I am starting at the front and working back.. redoing it all.... Well just changing all the cabinets out and wood...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Looks like a great rig. We just bought a 1975 31 footer this summer. It's in great shape in side (not perfect) and everything works now that I've fixed a few things.

We're going to leave ours mostly stock inside. I like the way things work and look inside (ours doesn't have any flarant 70's olive green or anything like that).

I biult a new couch/bed for ours, and purposefully went with vinyl that looks like it could have been original. I usually like to keep things "era appropriate"

Some pics:
Airstream Upholstery - a set on Flickr
ShinyTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
Question 1972 Ambassador 29 ft

Just bought a 1972 Airstream travel trailor 29ft Ambassador for 3k$. The exterior still has the plasict coating and is in need of a bath, etc.
The interior needs some elbow grease, TLC, and lords knows what all else. I noticed some rot uder the rear batroom. The seller has no keys and Im not sure how Im going to get into the exterior compartments, sigh. Anyone have any missing key suggestions?
ssgkboo@yahoo.com
Attached Images

Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
pics soon

The guy is going to deliver it next Sunday, so that will give him a week to get it ready to roll.
There is a plastic piece above where the coach goes. I has a huge hole in it. Im wondering if that piece can be removed,, etc. Er, hey, it's my first Airstream.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydee View Post
We just bought our first Airstream. It's a 29 ft Ambassador that has been sitting in someones driveway for years. Luckily we don't have to tow it far, it's at the next town over. All the windows and screens look great. I suspect some rot under the bathroom area. Real torn wondering if I should remove everything and start all over. Totally re-do the interior? It needs paint and elbow grease and the exterior still has the plastic coat and hasnt been washed in years. Any advice would be appreciated.
When you start preparing your budget, you should include a couple of axles.

Torsion axles, that have sat for years, go bad.

When they are bad, small bumps on the road, create havoc with the entire trailer.

You should be able to see 2 to 3 inches of the tire, "above the top of the wheels."

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Just bought a 1972 Airstream travel trailor 29ft Ambassador for 3k$. The exterior still has the plasict coating and is in need of a bath, etc.
The interior needs some elbow grease, TLC, and lords knows what all else. I noticed some rot uder the rear batroom. The seller has no keys and Im not sure how Im going to get into the exterior compartments, sigh. Anyone have any missing key suggestions?
ssgkboo@yahoo.com
Unless the previous owners have changed the locks, keys are readily available from most any dealer.

Do you have a 71 or a 72?

Post the serial number. Many here can help you.

When you want parts, the exact year saves problems when you place an order.

Andy
Old 09-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
eeeek, Axles?! Holy axle batman, that sounds like a big job! Good thing Ive got some tools! But, not sure I want to tackle that....Was hoping to just fix up the interior for guest and let it sit in my yard. I dnot own a vehicle strong enought o pull it. My 05 chevy trailblazer has a 6 cylinder and not capable of gettin er done.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
The seller said it was a 1971 29FT, however, he gave me an old Florida certificate of Title that says 1972 -30 ft.
ID no 129D1J2274 - off the title.
Was wondering if I was going to have to change the locks....sounds like I just need to call a dealer.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
The seller said it was a 1971 29FT, however, he gave me an old Florida certificate of Title that says 1972 -30 ft.
ID no 129D1J2274 - off the title.
According to the serial number you have a:
International
29' (aka Ambassador)
Center Double bed
Built in Jackson Center, Ohio
2274th unit off the line.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Waterboro , Maine
The seller said that there was a bed in it when he bought it. He removed the bed and now there is a futon disassembled and piled up right as you walk in. I pulled the rug back and there is minimal rot in the plywood right inside the door to the right along the wall. The plastc piece beside the clock has a hole in it. Not sure if any of the appliances work. The seller replaced the refer, it looks brand new. I suspect some rot on the bathroom floor. It probably does need axles, but shes all mine!
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
eeeek, Axles?! Holy axle batman, that sounds like a big job! Good thing Ive got some tools! But, not sure I want to tackle that....Was hoping to just fix up the interior for guest and let it sit in my yard. I dnot own a vehicle strong enought o pull it. My 05 chevy trailblazer has a 6 cylinder and not capable of gettin er done.
Many owners change the axles on a tandem Airstream, with a helper, in just a few hours.

No jack is needed, as well as no special tools are required.

If the trailer will be parked, then it will not need axles. Stabilize it with some jack stands.

If and when you may chose to take the trailer out on the highways, then by all means, change out the axles.

Since it was parked for years, get the trailer waterproofed.

Replace the window, entrance door, access door and sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

You may also want to replace the ceiling vent cover gaskets.

If you see any signs of water leaks on the floor, chase them down.

Seams can leak, as well as any missing rivets.

Be sure to also check the clearance lights for a good seal, as well as the scare light. They are famous for leaks, too.

Andy
Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i'd make sure that the title matches the trailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
concord , New Hampshire
DOes anyone know where I can get a rear bathroom for my 1972 ambassador
csaweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

1972 29' Ambassador
burgaw , North Carolina
i just acquired the same trailer. been sitting for 5 years under some pine trees. cleaned up good. ref and ac works good. not sure of other
rkturnercg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkturnercg20 View Post
i just acquired the same trailer. been sitting for 5 years under some pine trees. cleaned up good. ref and ac works good. not sure of other
Equipment that uses torsion axles, must not be parked for an extended period of time.

To do so, allows the rubber rods within the axle tube, to go bad.

When that happens, the axles no longer provide a cushion for bumps.

The following article will help you to check out the axles.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Andy

Tags
1972 ambassador