Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #21
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
An interesting thread. Based on what I've read on these Forums since I joined up, I was able to isolate the kind of trailer I wanted to order along with the options. THEN, once it was delivered, I began to make modifications IN MY OWN PRIORITY ranking. First and foremost was safety....that meant a ProPride 3P hitch and (I wish I'd known this beforehand), replacing the "marginal" 15" wheels/tires with 16" wheels and Michelin LTs. Then I did stuff like the Iota converter/charger (which goes into float and desulphates your battery), then I replaced the transfer switch...a few days ago I installed the expansion tank for my water system. Mattress was solved with a tempurpedic topper -- which works just fine. So, if I were king, I'd go first with anything related to the margin of safety -- even though I know my trailer is "safe" as it was delivered to me, "safer" sounds even better. Then I'd do those things that build reliability, and last comfort. I did install two Maxim skylights because I'd seen them in someone else's trailer and they were not only beautiful, but also provided insulation. I added Maxx fans because they have a great remote control and you can leave them wide open in a rainstorm. OK, I have spent a fair amount of $ on all this stuff....and while it wasn't mandatory, it was my choice.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
The very first - and to me, mandatory - upgrade was replacing a non-powered rear roof vent with a Fantastic Fan. (What wasn't mandatory was the upgrade to remote fantastic fans - I like having 14 speeds, which you get with the remote, instead of the 3 you get otherwise.)

Second most essential - LED lighting. It lets us comfortably use the trailer for boondocking trips without worrying about battery capacity. (Solar comes this year.)

Then there was:
- A new "smart" water pump, which is quieter
- An upgraded 3-mode converter
- Dumping the 14" GYM tires for 15" Nokian commercial van tires and new wheels
- A Trimetric battery monitor
- IKEA foam mattress, trimmed to fit with an electric carving knife

Tom
Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
Coming back to this thread two years later, I am looking at some upgrades from my original list on my now, owned, and used for a year 28W. If I do not install a solar upgrade system this spring (talking it out with Lew now via email,) the Parallax upgraded 3-mode converter board from bestconverters will see me through this year -- I've boiled away my Interstate Group-24s.
o Last year I took care of the mattress with a topper and the shower with an oxygenetics and pleased there.
o The stove-top may be in the cards as the current one with its quarter-turn flame control is insane to cook accurately with in my opinion.
o The previous owner put in bright-white LEDs -- they have to go -- warm white I think is the way to go; that or to see if I can swap the switches with dimmers without replacing the LEDs/pucks they are in.
o My electrical jack has failed. It will wind down fine via the switch, but wont wind up. I gotta open it up and check the gears first, but so far, jacking manually hasn't been an issue, so not sure I am going to bother with it yet. The fuse is ok, but I haven't switched out my Interstate Group24s yet and wonder what level of impact that is having (even when hooked up.)
o Not on my original list -- vent covers for the fantastic fans. I am thinking a white one in the lounge and a black one in the bedroom - to allow/deny ambient light appropriately. I disliked waking up to dew turning opening and closing the shutters, and much preferred ventilation during rain if possible as well.
o Electrics, I am going to de-install the bedroom TV - have yet to switch it on. It would see better use in my home office during Washington Capitals season. I _do_ need to find a Sony system upgrade that remains compatible with the main area TV, but adds Sirius and USB music support.

MUTCTH -- what water pump did you go with? while I don't mind the noise of my current one, its operation runs pressure much like a heartbeat -- a sine wave of acceptable pressure. I want to look at options to upgrade either to a better pump, or a combination of a pump and (is it an expansion tank I seek?) to enable a more steady flow.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:07 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
My wishlist:

1) LED Lights
2) AGM Glassmat Batteries
3) Inverter/Solar Cells and Charge Controller
4) Undercounter Microwave if not Present (seems like a quick way to heat if i can't be bothered with the stove)
Other/Later:
5) Stainless Ext., Hitchcam on TV, Fan Upgrades?
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Replace - Upgrade

Replace -
- shower door, which seems to be a piece of junk.

Upgrade -
- stainless steel
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #26
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm planning to buy soon and found this thread very interesting. As a long time boater, I've learned the mattress is key. Probably the first thing I'll swap.

I'm very interested in learning about the wheels and tires. Keep reading about these being something to upgrade.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPoulin View Post
MUTCTH -- what water pump did you go with? while I don't mind the noise of my current one, its operation runs pressure much like a heartbeat -- a sine wave of acceptable pressure. I want to look at options to upgrade either to a better pump, or a combination of a pump and (is it an expansion tank I seek?) to enable a more steady flow.
Ack. I wish I could say that I remember, but I don't, and the trailer is off in StorageLand.

It wasn't the greatest update, but that's not necessarily the pump's fault. If I run lots of water through the system and get all the air out of the lines, then the pump is superquiet. But I seldom get it to that state, since I often drain the fresh water tank between trips. Plus, the PEX lines wind up banging into stuff under the bathroom sink...

EDIT: I looked it up in the PM's, remembering that I had asked forum member lewster for advice: it's a Sureflo SmartSensor 4.0.

Tom
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #28
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

JMO...before 'ya'all start thinking about 'upgrades'...just make sure the dealer does a proper PDI and orientation.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I replaced my water pump with a Sureflo Revolution 2 years ago and it was a big improvement from the original.Quiet, no pulsing,quick shutdown and more water pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great thread. I am the crazy one- constantly upgrading with little camping! My list is extensive on what has been done. I have not gone with solar as it seems costly what it benefits versus a generator and inverter. Like Babs I focused first on safety- wheels/tires upgrade, hitch, etc. I added two fantastic vents as both of mine originally were just screened. I utilize my inverter and would recommend that to those wanting pluggable power when not hooked to a landline. The first thing I did was replace the carpet in the bedroom. It was nasty. It is now a high-end heavy ounce carpet with anti-mold pad. In the future I would like no carpet and a complete new floor but the vinyl is in good condition. Thus, the evolution as others have mentioned.

It is difficult to say what an immediate upgrade would be as there are all different era AS purchased with various needs. I believe the one major achilles heel of campers are the tires. There are just too many blow outs. Perhaps it is irresponsible owners but more and more I read stories like "we just got this camper and were on our first trip when the tire blew and damaged our camper." That and anti-sway sound like the immediates that might apply to everyone.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Looking back, my most immediate upgrade would have been the ProPride (or Hensley) hitch because I wouldn't have spent $700 on the dealer's hitch/installation. It has also been the most significant improvement in towing comfort and safety, by far. Michelin 16" tires/Sendel wheels are next, for tire reliability and peace of mind.

The most significant improvement in living comfort has been the recliner seating conversion done at Jackson Center. Next has been a Hensley Hot heater, for even, quiet heating during our "snowbird" winters. Maxim vent covers are high on the list for ventilation during rain and while sleeping or towing.

For maintenance we have three standout products and procedures. An inexpensive Sonin Moisture Detection Meter used quarterly around the interior perimeter of the trailer, probing into the plywood subfloor assures any leaks will be found and fixed before wood rot can occur. CorrosionX applied to exterior shell rivets, cut panel edges, accessories, hinges/locks, and nicks/scratches and Boeshield T9 applied to underbody steel components has kept our new Airstream completely corrosion free since new 3 1/2 years.

We are very comfortable with our Flying Cloud 25 Rear Queen Bed and the improvements we have done. It came from the factory with solar/AGM batteries, full awnings, and convection/microwave plus gas oven. These would otherwise be very high on our improvement list. The least used factory accessory is the air conditioner, aftermarket accessory is the Honda 2000i generator.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Delete repeat post.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote