Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I purchased an AS that had sustained minor damage, but was well repaired. As long as you disclose the hail damage I would feel fine about purchasing one. A nice cosmetic fix might be flexible solar panels. Three or four 100-watt panels at less than $200 each, plus a good solar controller, and not only have you covered some of the damage, you have upgraded the AS.

We essentially only dry camp and with 300 watts of solar, plus a Goal Zero Lithium Yeti 1000 from Costco we are in good shape, even when using a slow cooker all day (Yeti 1000 is now starting to sell directly from Goal Zero for $1300, whereas, in the past they have only been available from Costco for $1000.) With Goal Zero now starting to sell them, don't know how long they will be available from Costco, hopefully always. (The Yeti 1000 will provide 115 vac, true sine wave, 1500 watts, 3000 watt surge, for 1000 watt-hours, or about 90 amp-hours for 12 volts equivalence).
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Would you consider buying an Airstream with hail damage?

In 2002, I bought my 1984 Excella 31 ft.
It had some light hail on it, so instead of paying the $15,000+ price the pristine trailers were bringing, I bought it from an individual for $9500 cash for it because he had been paid by his insurance for the hail.
Another buyer was going to pay his asking price at $15,000, but the bank would not Finance with the hail damage on it, and he was not going to carry the paper on it. I was paying cash...so I got the trailer.

Then I had trouble getting coverage on it because of the hail as soon as they saw pics of it, until I talked to Progressive.
They asked if it had salvage title. It does not.
Then they said they would likely not pay for cosmetic damage from hail evidenced in the photos since it was apparent hail damage was pre-existing, but would pay for hail IF it broke windows, skylight vent covers, AC, etc.
I was good with that.
So, I insured it for my purchase price.
Then on our first major trip, we got caught in a hail storm in Cortez CO that piles marbles on the road 4-6 inches deep. Traffic just stopped in the road on Hwy 491, and so there was nothing we could do.
After the Cortez hail, it almost looks "artistic" it has so many dimples on it.
But no structural damage.
A few years later it got hit with about 4 lemon sized hailstones, so I have a large dimple right rear corner, one on the stove vent cover, one on the fridge vent cover, and one on the right front corner. The skylights and windows held up.
The inside is perfect. Never smoked in or kidded out.
Over the years I have had the furnace rebuilt, the water heater replaced, and the refrigerator replaced....along with the usual tires, batteries, etc.
Perhaps we should name her "Dimples", or the "Golf Ball".

I didn't buy it to be a museum piece. I bought it to use and make memories.
And had I bought the perfect trailer, that first major trip to Cortez would have made it look about like it does today anyway.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Flying Cloud
Garden City , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc View Post
In 2002, I bought my 1984 Excella 31 ft.
It had some light hail on it, so instead of paying the $15,000+ price the pristine trailers were bringing, I bought it from an individual for $9500 cash for it because he had been paid by his insurance for the hail.
Another buyer was going to pay his asking price at $15,000, but the bank would not Finance with the hail damage on it, and he was not going to carry the paper on it. I was paying cash...so I got the trailer.

Then I had trouble getting coverage on it because of the hail as soon as they saw pics of it, until I talked to Progressive.
They asked if it had salvage title. It does not.
Then they said they would likely not pay for cosmetic damage from hail evidenced in the photos since it was apparent hail damage was pre-existing, but would pay for hail IF it broke windows, skylight vent covers, AC, etc.
I was good with that.
So, I insured it for my purchase price.
Then on our first major trip, we got caught in a hail storm in Cortez CO that piles marbles on the road 4-6 inches deep. Traffic just stopped in the road on Hwy 491, and so there was nothing we could do.
After the Cortez hail, it almost looks "artistic" it has so many dimples on it.
But no structural damage.
A few years later it got hit with about 4 lemon sized hailstones, so I have a large dimple right rear corner, one on the stove vent cover, one on the fridge vent cover, and one on the right front corner. The skylights and windows held up.
The inside is perfect. Never smoked in or kidded out.
Over the years I have had the furnace rebuilt, the water heater replaced, and the refrigerator replaced....along with the usual tires, batteries, etc.
Perhaps we should name her "Dimples", or the "Golf Ball".

I didn't buy it to be a museum piece. I bought it to use and make memories.
And had I bought the perfect trailer, that first major trip to Cortez would have made it look about like it does today anyway.
The dings on mine kind of bothered me a little cause I'm that guy that washed and waxes everything I own and like to keep things perfect but paying less than half of what a 2012 25fb cost used out weighed it being perfect lol. I went to badlands,Custer and Yellowstone and I noticed every other airstream that pulled in the campgrounds had some degree of hail damage so I didn't feel so bad about mine.
jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The dent on the end panel looks way bigger than a hail dent.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The dent on the end panel looks way bigger than a hail dent.
Hi

It was a cow sized piece of hail ....

====

This is one gotcha. Hail may *not* be the only damage / issue on the trailer. If they were scrapped off a dealer lot brand new, that's one thing. If some guy named Bob owned them for a few years ... who knows.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 28
1979 30' Argosy
Tate , Georgia
I'll buy yours

So, if you have hail damage, and the insurance company is going to pay out, ask about buying it back from them.

I may buy it from you and fix it.

But if they take it back they issue a salvage title.
RoamingHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I would buy a hail damage trailer. I have owned several.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Is it insurable? Most insurance will not cover a trailer with a salvage title or extensive preexisting damage.
If you're paying cash, that won't matter.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Some of those dings may be repaired. I know of a guy that specializes in getting hail dings out of cars. I went to him for a few dings (not from hail) on my F150 and he did a great job. Might want to look into that.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Some of those dings may be repaired. I know of a guy that specializes in getting hail dings out of cars. I went to him for a few dings (not from hail) on my F150 and he did a great job. Might want to look into that.

Hail dings in aluminum is different. It won’t pop out like steel. You also cannot access to back side.