Old 11-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

el paso , Texas
WHO at the dealer to start with to get best deal?

Is there a rule of thumb?--the sales mgr?--the dealership owner? (& if so, is it best to look up the dealership owner's name somewhere or just call the dealership & ask for the owner?)

FWIW, I'm looking at a certain model of new 07's & have "verified" inventory online at several dealers (prolly to buy in Cali for delivery to AZ or NV...)

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
DO NOT forget sale tax.What you think is good deal untill you get to bottom line with sales tax may not be a good deal.Look at dealer in areas with low or no sales tax.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
It depends how involved in the day to day the owner is. Sales consultants are there for a reason. Owners don't have enough time to talk to every customer. I would suggest you call the owner and tell him that you want to come in and get the best presentation and the most information from their best consultant. After that's done and you've made up your mind on the model and YOU'RE READY TO BUY inform him{her} that you want to sit with him{her} and work out the deal. Notice the READY TO BUY emphasis. If you're ready he'll sit with you and get to the bottom line quickly. If you're not ready or are just using one qoute against the other don't tie up the owner. If you don't want to go through the dealership games then don't play games. Get to asking for bottom line when you're ready to write the check. You know the old saying...money talks. Good Luck
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini
DO NOT forget sale tax.What you think is good deal untill you get to bottom line with sales tax may not be a good deal.Look at dealer in areas with low or no sales tax.
Generally Sales tax is assessed based on where you register the trailer not where you buy it.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Generally Sales tax is assessed based on where you register the trailer not where you buy it.
Sadly, this varies wildly from state to state. Basically, any state that has a sales tax will want a cut if you live there (though they may call it a use tax). Many states will want a cut if you buy there. Some states have reciprocity agreements. In my case, Florida wanted 4% because that is where the selling dealer was (I never set foot in the state) but New York was willing to deduct most of that from the use tax I had to pay when I registered my Airstream. Your mileage will vary.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I lived in Virginia. Bought a trailer in North Carolina, Registered it in Montana. I owned property in both states at the time. Montana was cheaper. One time fee at registration.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
LONG Term Thinking

Airstreams aren't cheap. Period.

Even with a brand new Airstream you will have at least a few service issues. Service quality varies widely from dealer to dealer - and many dealers aren't really eager to fix warranty issues on units that weren't purchased at their dealership.

For heaven sake remember you'll probably own your Airstream for 20 years - and having a reliable dealer to help you with service issues you can't or don't want to do yourself will always be important.

Over time, the cost of towing your unit to the dealer for service could also be an issue, so look for the best dealer you can find within easy driving distance.

Dealers regularly sell cars, trucks and trailers to each other, so if the one you choose to deal with doesn't have exactly what you want, he may be able to acquire it from another dealer - or of course he can order exactly what you want from the factory.

Paula Ford
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Airstreams aren't cheap. Period.

Even with a brand new Airstream you will have at least a few service issues. Service quality varies widely from dealer to dealer - and many dealers aren't really eager to fix warranty issues on units that weren't purchased at their dealership.

For heaven sake remember you'll probably own your Airstream for 20 years - and having a reliable dealer to help you with service issues you can't or don't want to do yourself will always be important.

Over time, the cost of towing your unit to the dealer for service could also be an issue, so look for the best dealer you can find within easy driving distance.

Dealers regularly sell cars, trucks and trailers to each other, so if the one you choose to deal with doesn't have exactly what you want, he may be able to acquire it from another dealer - or of course he can order exactly what you want from the factory.

Paula Ford
Well said Paula
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
I like to talk with the sales manager before a sales person. Many times once you talk with a salesman you become "His"customer and "his' commission will be included in any deal made at that store, even one the sales mgr writes. This is the procedure i use: I do my own spec sheet. Then when ready to buy call prospective dealers with this. :: "here is what I want" I'm going to place an order where i can get the best deal and will be doing that within the next couple days. I will not tell another dealer what your offer is and will not call you back unless your offer is the best. Give me your best shot this time." Then I do that. If they say we'll match another deal if you find one better they are lieing when they say this is their best deal and I walk. Like someone said I will not do this until I'm ready to buy and have money in hand.---pieman
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
If a sales person is not will to help me get what I want even if I am still deciding I get another sales person. If they are not willing to help me. I find another dealer.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Someone will always beat anothers price. "Lowest Price" does not equal "Best Deal." The price of the trailer is only part of the deal. You are also buying convenience, ability and willingness to service, future expense including parts prices and labor rates. Access to capable techs and information is important. All of these things and more are part of the deal and should be factored into the price.

You cannot save enough money to justify buying from a poor dealer. This is true when buying trailers as well as tow vehicles.

We'd hate for the lowly salesperson to make a buck. A good salesperson will work with you until he gets to a price you are willing to pay or his sales manager says "that's it." The salesperson will still get paid. He'll also become your liason at the dealership. Your go to guy in an emergency, a friend when its time to trade. Why alienate these people by going over their head. Let them do their job. It's their job.

Roger
Old 11-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
Someone will always beat anothers price. "Lowest Price" does not equal "Best Deal." The price of the trailer is only part of the deal. You are also buying convenience, ability and willingness to service, future expense including parts prices and labor rates. Access to capable techs and information is important. All of these things and more are part of the deal and should be factored into the price.

You cannot save enough money to justify buying from a poor dealer. This is true when buying trailers as well as tow vehicles.

We'd hate for the lowly salesperson to make a buck. A good salesperson will work with you until he gets to a price you are willing to pay or his sales manager says "that's it." The salesperson will still get paid. He'll also become your liason at the dealership. Your go to guy in an emergency, a friend when its time to trade. Why alienate these people by going over their head. Let them do their job. It's their job.

Roger
Again, well said Roger. Hey Pieman does a dealers service dept figure into your decision or is all price? I figure if a dealer has a stellar service dept and strong techs then that must cost him more than if he had weak techs and a terrible service dept. So if his costs are a bit more than maybe saving a little money from another guy isn't that important. I shop for the dealer AND the price. Having a good price without a good dealer to lean on is just that, a good price buy not necessarily a good deal. I'm not saying spend tons more but shop smart. The good price euphoria will be long forgotten when you're in a jam and your price dealer can't step up.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
I disagree. I purchased from a dealer going out of business. I hooked up and have never had any contact with the xdealer. I received an unbelievable price, I have taken care of all the little problems myself which I would of done anyway. Most items are warranted by the OEM and I found the 2 who I contacted be to very helpful(ZipDee and Shurflow). To take this route you have to be sure of your skills and understand who is responsible for what and no dealer support will be available. You also have to be sure the amount of money saved is worth the risk. I figured the worst which could happen is I would have to make a trip to the Mother Ship. I live in New Orleans and the dealer was in an Atlanta. In my case I saved enough money to justify the purchase.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
For most there will come a time when you need the dealer, be it for an emegency appt., advise, borrow a tool, get a part in a hurry, handle communication with the factory etc etc. If dealers weren't important why doesn't Airstream just take orders online and deliver the unit right to your door? You've been lucky....so far..

WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD