Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIstream'n
Pieman, I never said all warranty repairs never get paid. Most do, some are easy and some take alot of work to get covered. Others don't get paid at all and the dealer eats them to keep "his" customer happy. Believe it or not that's the truth. My point was simple and for most it makes sense. If I have an opportunity to sell a vehicle to someone I will never see again, great I'll give them the best deal that I can. If I have an opportunity to sell a vehicle to a local customer who will return and spend more money in my store down the road for service,parts, accesories, another vehicle etc then I think it's in my best interest to give them an even better deal. I also have a chance to make that person a repeat customer which is paramount to our success. That's just how we run it. If you have a dealership then you can run it differently if you like. If you have not had a good experience with your local dealer{s} then maybe there is something wrong with the way they view their hometown customers. I still feel if given a fair shake MOST dealers will value and work harder for their local customers.
Brian-- I think if I lived close enough to your store I would probably deal with you, assuming you got anywhere close to what a fair deal is. If your store is as you describe it is one of the few,and one I have yet to experience. Of the 3 new AS I have purchased, the "local dealer" was as discribed. the dealer I purchased the first 2 from no longer handles AS, and the 3rd treats me like a total stranger when I walk in the door. With that kind of experience you can see where the only motivation I have for buying anywhere is the best possible price. ---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Brian-- I think if I lived close enough to your store I would probably deal with you, assuming you got anywhere close to what a fair deal is. If your store is as you describe it is one of the few,and one I have yet to experience. Of the 3 new AS I have purchased, the "local dealer" was as discribed. the dealer I purchased the first 2 from no longer handles AS, and the 3rd treats me like a total stranger when I walk in the door. With that kind of experience you can see where the only motivation I have for buying anywhere is the best possible price. ---pieman
Pieman, I totally hear what you're saying. Those guys need more competiton and then they'd have no choice but to get stronger. I too wish you lived closer!! Even without competition those dealers should have enough pride to do the right things and have a great dealership. Hearing all of this really makes me angry. I would love to have an A/S franchise and run it like it should be run. I visited what is suppossed be the highest volume A/S dealer in the country right here in the northeast and I have to tell you I was not very impressed at all. Lots of inventory, decent knowledge and that's about it. Those guys are what they are because the rest of their competition is so weak. Too bad because Airstreamers deserve better.............
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Brian ---I know the store you're talking about. Without names here's an experience I had with them. Keep in mind we were in New Mexico at the time. We had just ordered our 30' Classic from Oasis in Tucson and like anyone waiting for a new unit were anxious and looking through inventorys of dealers around the country at pictures. This particular dealer had the best webb site and pictures of any, in fact had a unit exactly like we ordered, thus I got to see one like what we had ordered. Thinking I was doing the right thing I gave them a call to compliment them on their "site". The manager asked why I didn't give them a shot at our deal. I explained where we lived, that I couldn't come that far even if we traded. They said they would have delivered it!!! We're talking 2500-3000 miles !!!! So when spring came around this past year I was thinking of trading for a 34 and begun shoping prices etc, ball parking, as I didn't know if our budget would stand another trade. Remembering our conversation I called them and said just what I told you, that we were concidering trading our 30' for a 34 and would they care to shoot me an approx price as i wasn't sure I could trade at this point. They immediately accused me of using them so I could play their price against another closer by. and were not interested. GO FIGURE !!! As it turned out we decided to keep what we had but should we trade again I wouldn't concide them---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
OK...I have been following this thread to see what everyone has to say...I will add this...

There are several really good A/S dealers across the country that will service anyone's unit no matter where it was purchased...and yes there are some that really don't want to service your unit unless you bought it from them.

I have never had a problem collecting warranty from A/S...NEVER!

But that is not what matters to us the most...what matters is
THE CUSTOMER!

You see, we are in the car business too...our owners family have been in the new car business in our city since 1939! We have several local customers that we have to see at the grocery store, schools, ball games and in church every week...we HAVE to take care of our CUSTOMERS because we live with them and it is what makes our business successful...THE CUSTOMER!

Are we perfect...NO...do we make mistakes...YES...but we try to learn from our mistakes and make improvements daily...but what is our most valued asset...THE CUSTOMER!

I have sold units to several of the folks on this forum and they are very important to me...some have become very, very good friends over the last few years...heck, I even bailed one of them out of A/S prison with my personal credit card one time...2air...but that is another story!

I think some lose sight of what makes you a successful dealer!

THE CUSTOMER!

Let's face it, if you don't take care the THE CUSTOMER, you might not get them back...

I have heard it said that sales might get you the first sell, but service will get you the second...

I really think this is true!

So what is a good deal and who do you go to so you can get the best deal???

I think a good deal is when THE CUSTOMER is happy and the dealer is happy!

Does price matter...YES

Does service matter...YES

Will I service anybody's unit...YES

So will several other dealers across the country....and they are the ones that really care about...

THE CUSTOMER!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Dittos for Airhog1. I am one of his "customers" and his actions back up his words. These guys are the best and receive my highest personal recommendation!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #46
_

. , .
bad boy bad boy, what ya gonna do when the come for you...

when he gives you his home phone number and cell phone number...

and says "if you ever need ANYTHING, call me" he really means it.

and my get out of jail card really did work!

THANKS G!

hey does this mean you are my 'airhog1/dog' bounty hunter/bail guy?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
when he gives you his home phone number and cell phone number...

and says "if you ever need ANYTHING, call me" he really means it.

and my get out of jail card really did work!

THANKS G!

hey does this mean you are my 'airhog1/dog' bounty hunter/bail guy?

cheers
2air'
You got it Bro.

" just call out my name, and you know wherever i am i'll come running"

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #48
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
..." just call out my name, and you know wherever i am i'll come running"G
i can fly higher than an eagle, 'cuze....

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Brian ---I know the store you're talking about. Without names here's an experience I had with them. Keep in mind we were in New Mexico at the time. We had just ordered our 30' Classic from Oasis in Tucson and like anyone waiting for a new unit were anxious and looking through inventorys of dealers around the country at pictures. This particular dealer had the best webb site and pictures of any, in fact had a unit exactly like we ordered, thus I got to see one like what we had ordered. Thinking I was doing the right thing I gave them a call to compliment them on their "site". The manager asked why I didn't give them a shot at our deal. I explained where we lived, that I couldn't come that far even if we traded. They said they would have delivered it!!! We're talking 2500-3000 miles !!!! So when spring came around this past year I was thinking of trading for a 34 and begun shoping prices etc, ball parking, as I didn't know if our budget would stand another trade. Remembering our conversation I called them and said just what I told you, that we were concidering trading our 30' for a 34 and would they care to shoot me an approx price as i wasn't sure I could trade at this point. They immediately accused me of using them so I could play their price against another closer by. and were not interested. GO FIGURE !!! As it turned out we decided to keep what we had but should we trade again I wouldn't concide them---pieman
Here's a long story shortened. I drove for 4.5 hrs to get to them. spent two hours with a salesman and when I asked to spec out an 08 and price it up the salesman to'd {turned me over} me to the manager who proceeded to qualify me which in a nutshell means he's sizing me up to see if I have the money and if I'm seriously buying. After our 2 minute conversation he decides I'm not ready to buy and says bye without looking at options or giving me a price. I guess he was smart enough to figure out that I had nothing better to do with 10 hours on my day off so I jumped in my car with my wife and went down and back for the fun of it. I called them back a month later{they never called to follow up with me before that} and wanted to talk about a trade in and after hearing 5 minutes of the salesman wining about the soft motorhome market etc etc he reluctantly gave me a trade in price that was the low to say the least. Two months later I purchased our A/S @ Marty's. A week after we got it we received an email from the other guys asking where we stood. They didn't remember our trade in conversation. Those guys sure are sharp!! But hey they're #1...............
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 11-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
OK...I have been following this thread to see what everyone has to say...I will add this...

There are several really good A/S dealers across the country that will service anyone's unit no matter where it was purchased...and yes there are some that really don't want to service your unit unless you bought it from them.

I have never had a problem collecting warranty from A/S...NEVER!

But that is not what matters to us the most...what matters is
THE CUSTOMER!

You see, we are in the car business too...our owners family have been in the new car business in our city since 1939! We have several local customers that we have to see at the grocery store, schools, ball games and in church every week...we HAVE to take care of our CUSTOMERS because we live with them and it is what makes our business successful...THE CUSTOMER!

Are we perfect...NO...do we make mistakes...YES...but we try to learn from our mistakes and make improvements daily...but what is our most valued asset...THE CUSTOMER!

I have sold units to several of the folks on this forum and they are very important to me...some have become very, very good friends over the last few years...heck, I even bailed one of them out of A/S prison with my personal credit card one time...2air...but that is another story!

I think some lose sight of what makes you a successful dealer!

THE CUSTOMER!

Let's face it, if you don't take care the THE CUSTOMER, you might not get them back...

I have heard it said that sales might get you the first sell, but service will get you the second...

I really think this is true!

So what is a good deal and who do you go to so you can get the best deal???

I think a good deal is when THE CUSTOMER is happy and the dealer is happy!

Does price matter...YES

Does service matter...YES

Will I service anybody's unit...YES

So will several other dealers across the country....and they are the ones that really care about...

THE CUSTOMER!

G
Spoken like a true pro....
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Winnipeg , Manitoba
How or where or any tips on how you got such a good deal

I'm trying too
Happydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think it helps to have cash or already have financing arranged.
Then pick a trailer on the dealer lot on the "floor plan" that has been on his lot for months or years.
Then worry him to death and hound him.
Then wait him out.
Maybe it would help to have a really nice trade-in that the dealership wants real bad.
Then, the sun, moon, and stars have to align with the planets and Jupiter has to align with Mars.
Also, you could do it if you know something about science.
You see, you have to know about the levels of gravitivity and polarity...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #53
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I think it helps to have cash or already have financing arranged.
Then pick a trailer on the dealer lot on the "floor plan" that has been on his lot for months or years.
Then worry him to death and hound him.
Then wait him out.
Maybe it would help to have a really nice trade-in that the dealership wants real bad.
Then, the sun, moon, and stars have to align with the planets and Jupiter has to align with Mars.
Also, you could do it if you know something about science.
You see, you have to know about the levels of gravitivity and polarity...
Expanding on this a bit. Never let the sales person know that you're hungry for the trailer your interested in. Your attitude should give the message that you're interested, but you don't really need it. At the appropriate time, if you want to apply a little pressure, pull out your checkbook and start writing for the price you want. Tell the person you're ready to buy right now if they will just meet your price/terms. Don't be afraid to ask for extras, either. Be willing to walk, tearing up the check (keep emotion out of it). A sales person hates to see money walk out the door.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post

Expanding on this a bit. Never let the sales person know that you're hungry for the trailer your interested in. Your attitude should give the message that you're interested, but you don't really need it. At the appropriate time, if you want to apply a little pressure, pull out your checkbook and start writing for the price you want. Tell the person you're ready to buy right now if they will just meet your price/terms. Don't be afraid to ask for extras, either. Be willing to walk, tearing up the check (keep emotion out of it). A sales person hates to see money walk out the door.
What he said.
I know a guy who wrote a $30,000 check for a $45,000 GMC Sierra SLE fully loaded 4x4.
The salesman at first said he couldn't do it, but changed his mind when the guy turned to leave.
He got roughly a 33 percent discount.
Y'all already know. Money talks...
Some people say you should always get 1/3 off.
Tey going to an old rundown dealership
Those pretty new 3 or 4 million dollar facilities have a tremendous overhead that the guy in the old warehouse with the gravel lot on the edge of "the hood" doesn't have.
There are costs associated with that big new shiny dealership that are passed on to you.
Motorcycles, boats, and automobiles all have this in common..
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Columbus , Ohio
We just upgraded our 2014 int'l Serenity to a 30' Classic from Mike Corso at Camper Clinic II in Budapest Texas (outside Austin): good deal, great service. They have a superb inventory as well.
We highly recommend them!
Kokomogoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wonder if it helps to shop at the end of the month-
Salesman is eager to meet his "quota".
Dealership wants close the financial books for the month-
The trailer is on the "floor plan" and the dealer wants to stop paying interest on it-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I also wonder if it helps to shop in the "off" season-
Buy a boat, motorcycle, or RV in the fall or winter-
Sales are down or "slow" during the colder months-
I bought my Harley in a blizzard in February-
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I just re-read this thread

Jump from 2007 (fat dumb happy economy) to 2013 & 2014.

Ain't it funny how a depression changes things? Ain't it funny how the internet has changed things? Ain't it funny how time slips away...

One of the most mediocre Chevy dealerships in Virginia has turned it's service department into its major profit center. They finally figured it out when everyone stopped buying cars in 2008 and when their service department needed to be bringing in bucks... and they found out what negative online reviews could actually DO to their ability to get owners back into their bays.

Last year, when I got the F-150 (first Ford ever) the owner of the Chevy dealership called on me personally and asked to take me to lunch at a hugely expensive steak place if I'd give him the reasons for my decision. Called ME? WHY? I do a lot of business networking, and most people know I live in my RV.

I never thought of myself as an "influencer" but he told me I am, especially among women who own bigger trucks. I met with him without the big dinner and explained my reasoning - and did mention that if they ever made a 3/4 ton "Dura-Burb" or "Dura-'hoe" I'd be back, especially if it got better mileage when NOT towing.

What IS notable is that this Chevy dealer used to SUCK at service and had only one method it's sales people were allowed to sell - (the hard sell to a customer whose IQ is supposed to be 80 or below) - but all that has changed as the world has turned. I could get my knickers in a twist, but let's face it most businesses and most people "reform" when the alternative is too horrible to face. I've got to admit that they had the intelligence to SEE that something had to change and the GRIT to DO the work to make the change happen when they had to.

When I think about a great dealer like Airstream of Arkansas going out of business... it makes me wonder... did they just get hit with their cash flow too low to survive, did they (as I did) underestimate the depth and length of this ongoing thing? Did they file for bankruptcy and come back a week later with a different identity? Were the owners ready to retire anyway?

Paula