Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
When does a dent become a deal breaker?

I found the perfect used 22’ sport and went and looked at it yesterday. I gave it the once over spending lots of time checking everything. It’s a 2017 and there are a few small things like, latch on propane cover is missing a part, waste discharge port plastic cap is missing, and one or two rivet heads above table are missing, no biggie.

There are two small rock dents in the front as well. I got on a ladder to have a look at the roof and in the drivers rear where the rear panel and roof and side all come together it’s obvious there is a dent/depression. It’s about the size of someone’s knee and not really deep. I thought I got a picture but it didn’t turn out. My concern is that it’s where two or three panels come together and the depression may have compromised the water tightness, worst case, or best case it’s a dent I can’t see on the ground and no big deal.

Am I over reacting?
Aside from that it’s a beautiful trailer.
Thanks
Sean
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
If it's where all three panels come together.....wouldn't that be where a structural rib is? Maybe the panels are just adhered to the rib and the rib is just not formed right.

I wouldn't worry about it. Having a used AS with some patina is good for the soul, as you don't know how many people with perfect trailers wail when they get their first scratch.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My trailer has rock dents in the front and a small dent in the roof in the back. We use it 5 months of the year anyway. Our propane cover latch has never worked. Drain cap is $8.99. Always a couple of popped rivets inside. You can reseal the joint near the dent,

Work the appearance into the pricing and go for it. Think about you reselling it with the dent while you are buying it. The dent you describe would not be a deal breaker for me,
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I am not sure this accurately expresses the common feeling about water leaking through the outside skin: they all leak.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
TorpedoFamily

Currently Looking...
2014 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ozark , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I found the perfect used 22’ sport and went and looked at it yesterday. I gave it the once over spending lots of time checking everything. It’s a 2017 and there are a few small things like, latch on propane cover is missing a part, waste discharge port plastic cap is missing, and one or two rivet heads above table are missing, no biggie.

There are two small rock dents in the front as well. I got on a ladder to have a look at the roof and in the drivers rear where the rear panel and roof and side all come together it’s obvious there is a dent/depression. It’s about the size of someone’s knee and not really deep. I thought I got a picture but it didn’t turn out. My concern is that it’s where two or three panels come together and the depression may have compromised the water tightness, worst case, or best case it’s a dent I can’t see on the ground and no big deal.

Am I over reacting?
Aside from that it’s a beautiful trailer.
Thanks
Sean
Ask the seller to file the dent claim with his insurance company. But get a quote from Airstream Service the insurance company quotes are far too low. I just experienced this same deal when I purchased a used 2014 last month. The seller has turned it over to his insurance company for repair.
Torpedo Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
When I bought my first, the po had dented a basketball-sized place on the rear roof segment. As it was in the middle, and none of the seams were involved, I didn't mind it. I paid a fair price.

When it came time for me to sell it, I put a fair price on it, and cautioned my potential buyers about it, saying that if it bothered them, they should walk away, as life is too short to regret a purchase such as an Airstream.

I sold it to a nice couple that accepted it for what it was, dent and all, and everyone was happy.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I strongly recommended buying a pre-dented airstream
Life is too short to worry about when the first one will strike

Gives em character

Unless it's creased on a seam, shouldn't leak any more than a normal airstream. Since it's not visible from the ground, I'll be easy to seal if it ever does.

Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Bothell , Washington
I went up on the roof of our Flying Cloud and put a knee down where I wasn’t supposed to. Left a nice dent just like my knee.

Went to an auto store and purchased a small auction dent puller. Two minutes later the dent was gone.

However, mine was NOT at an intersection of panels and no rivets at that location. If the dent is located where there are rivets, I’d be concerned that there might be some structural damage. Again, just a guess.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If this *is* a noticeable dent right on top of a rib ... that's not good. A dent in a panel is one thing. Bending a rib takes a lot of force.( = they hit a tree limb rather than put a knee wrong). If the rib is actually damaged the repair can be a bit complex. Unlike a simple dent, a damaged rib can impact the strength of the trailer ....

Is this a bit of hysteria? Sure it is. Without pictures, we're all guessing about what's going on. All I'm really saying is that there is another extreme to the range of possibilities.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
As per Sidekick Tony, you will not worry as much when you get your own first dent.
Look at it as, a beauty mark.
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
no big deal unless its a rib which isn't likely .... I had one on my rear corner roof and couldn't get it out with a suction cup but had great luck by drilling and inside hole and pushing a rod thru while also pulling from a small outside hole..... worked 95% and a couple of rivets added to the holes and you'd never know I did it.
If the price is right your buying a nearly new rig!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Thanks for all the replies guys. I am starting to wonder if it was on the panel intersection or just behind, like I said I was looking the whole trailer over and saw that and I recall it being at the panel I terection but it could have just as easily been behind it. Either way it’s not a deal breaker after sleeping on it and reading all the great replies here.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
When does a dent become a deal breaker?

My opinion is that what we’re talking about is a small dent that you can only see from the perch of a ladder and nothing more. 99.995%

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:39 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Hi Sean,

I can only convey our experience when shopping. What you decide is what you are comfortable with.

In 2014 when shopping for an Airstream my wife and I looked at several used ones. WE came to the conclusion that the newer the unit someone was getting "rid" of (selling) seemed to have a direct relation to the amount of damage it had. People who don't take care of there (70k - 100k) investment seemed more likely to be dumping it after a few or even 1 year. This is not always the case, but was more likely our experience. If the people didn't care enough to take care of the "LITTLE" things. What else might they have broken or damage that you can't see.
We looked at a used Ocean Breeze model that when we arrived to look at had 2 large dents in the roof, were someone clearly had sat on the sides of the roof. and a gouge in the roof were it hit something backing up. The price on this unit was still 40k Would we by a 40k dollar car with that kind of damage? Hell No. Why would we put up with it in a 40k dollar trailer. We did not want to loss sight of the big picture. There are plenty trailers out there, settling for one with someone else's problems was not for us.
We decided the additional investment in a NEW trailer was better for us.

Good luck in your search.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok so since the decision has been made (and it sounds correct) .. .time for dent stories.

Our trailer was viciously attacked by some traffic cones while dodging a drifting semi in a construction zone (that's my story and you better have video if you want to contradict me ). If you know exactly where to look you can see the two of them.

While in an AS park and chatting about this another owner quite helpfully started talking about the proper way to buff out and remove the dents (and the tell tale orange in the dents). My reaction was that - no, they are now part of the story. Leave them as they are. Much better to have them as a reminder of what can happen.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Awww...I looked this thread up because I just put a dent in my 2018 Sport...while backing into my driveway...so sad...but not the end of the world after reading your posts, thanks friends.
Franchesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
"they all leak"? No, they don't...
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
"they all leak"? No, they don't...
The ALL either have, do, or will. Without doubt.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote