Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
What to look for on a brand new AS

Hello Airstreamers!
After searching for the perfect used AS, we finally made the decision (based on price) to buy new.
We are getting a 2019 Serenity 27FB. We absolutely love them!
I'm going to Denver to pick it up in the next week or 2 and would like to know what you all think are things to be on the lookout for when I do the walk through inspection. I'm not as concerned with how things operate but things that typically need attention when they are brand new. I will be making about an 800 mile trip back home, which should shake things out or up a bit. So I want to do a good walk through.
Thank you all in advance, you have been wonderful in answering our questions while looking!
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Lots of folks like to spend the first night at or very near the selling dealer. Then you can get anything you find fixed right away.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Lots of folks like to spend the first night at or very near the selling dealer. Then you can get anything you find fixed right away.
One thing that many find, later on, is that the batteries are shot because the dealers do not keep them charged. If you stay close, you can use the battery and see if it is holding a charge. If not, you can have the dealer replace it. You really cannot tell just doing a walk through.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I wish I'd have:
1. Taken a DVD with me and told the seller, "Show me how this plays on the TV and stereo."
2. Asked more questions about the water heater and awning.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Make sure the dealer does a DETAILED show and tell by running EVERYTHING. Spend a couple of days in the dealers parking lot to make sure batteries are charging etc. Have the dealer hitch the AS to the TV and show you how it's done - then you do it! Make sure the WD is balanced by the dealer between the AS and TV.

Never assume the dealer has done a thorough pre-inspection, add water to the tank pressurize the system run the faucets, check for leaks.

Do all this at the dealer so if any OOPS can be fixed before you head out.
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Belmont , California
Check for loose screws, cabinet doors, etc. They usually end up on the floor after a few days of driving.

Learn how to operate the awning and foot step.

If you spend the first night at the dealer's lot, keep it unplugged and try to operate everything off the batteries. If they don't last the night, you can plug in then. Ask for new batteries in the morning.
chugchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Strongly recommend spending 2 nights either on the dealers lot or very close by. Walk through should take a couple of hours and it’s a lot to learn. Yes, they have manuals but making sure everything is working before you head down the road is nice. Assume nothing works until shown that it does. Also suggest to make an appointment with Jackson Center within 6 months. Something, who knows what, will need to be fixed by the factory. It’s not the end of the world, AS stands by the warranty just plan for it.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2022 25' Globetrotter
Diamond Bar , California (winter) Montana (summer)
Open the refrigerator access door (on the outside of the AS) and make sure the fridge is plugged in!

Have them show you how to hit the reset function on the thermostat. Easier to learn from them in the parking lot than via telephone at 7am on a chilly Montana morning when the furnace stopped working!
2018 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
DRBusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Pull all the cabinets and inside walls out of the trailer and be absolutely *sure* to inspect how the wiring has been done behind the walls. If something shorts out you could have problems. ....... obviously this is *not* something you are going to do. Doing it *could* spot a problem.

There is an enormous amount of information dumped during the PDI process. There is no way to keep up with it all. There just is to much being presented. They *should* go over every single system on the trailer and show you how it works / that it works. That’s a lot of systems and a lot of details. Trying to add more on top of that .... yikes.....

As noted above, the best approach is to camp out in the dealer’s lot for the first night. If that is not possible, camp out nearby. I’d vote for having a couple of days penciled in for this process. There *will* be questions. You also will be running around shopping for this and that. Some of the shopping process will be “try it and see” so multiple trips are likely.

The good news is that you have a three year warranty. If indeed something really weird comes up, you have time to get it worked out. I’d pencil in a visit for fixes and checks at the 1,2, and 3 year points. If there is nothing to fix / check, go camping instead I would *not* let things pile up for a couple of years. I also would not want to run over for fixes every couple months.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
2 days prior to pickup, have the dealer turn your refrigerator on. Then upon arrival, switch the fridge to propane.

Bring a flashlight so you can see leaks and imperfections under the trailer, into the various cabinets, under the bed platform, etc. You are looking for leaks and assembly line debris.

Go slow and be methodical. Lots of checkoff lists here in the forum. “Orientation” is the key search word.

Don’t let the orientation person rush you. He/she probably has other customers/duties to take care of. Tough noogies.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Queen Creek , Arizona
Walk Thru

Have them show you how to put a cabinet door back on. The fancy hinges can be problematic.
Be sure the propane tanks are full.
Get schooled on the propane tank regulator control.
Be sure to get all of the manuals for the appliances etc.
If the dealer sets up your hitch, make them drive it past you to be sure of clearance, level and operation.
Batteries? Have them show you the specific gravity of the cells; find the date of installation and/or manufacture.
Tires. Check the date code. Trailer tires are time sensitive. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post2310629
Run the furnace, air, water pump to check operation and noise levels.
If the person doing the walk thru cannot answer a question, get someone who can.
There's more, but you can probably find it in this thread. Good traveling!
QC TORPEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC TORPEDO View Post
Have them show you how to put a cabinet door back on. The fancy hinges can be problematic.
Seriously, I don't think they know. I took one of the plastic 'hinge clamp" things to show the guys and no one knew what it was.
Quote:
Be sure the propane tanks are full.
Get schooled on the propane tank regulator control.
Here's my walk through. The tech tried to light the stove, it didn't light. He said, "I hope they filled the propane tanks." and moved on to the next item. Later, it worked fine, I don't know.
Big thumbs up on the regulator. Mine is very confusing. Ask how to change tanks manually and what happens automatically. I'm not sure I could explain it....two years later.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Before you drive away make and appointment to bring it back in two months to get everything fixed that isn't right or breaks. In that two months before the appointment use the hell out of the trailer and put on as many miles as possible. Also before you leave for your first trip check every rivet, screw, hinge and measure every gap. Take tons of photos of the before so when things start moving you have good documentation. Also read everything you can on this forum about problems and how to repair them. Good luck.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

pensacola , Florida
We bought a 2020 Flying Cloud:
Connections to water heater were barely finger tight. Spayed everywhere.

Screws mounting black water hose storage tube were over tightened breaking the mounts. Lost the whole storage pipe on the road trying to get it home.

Cabinet doors so out of alignment they bang into each other and would not close.

Under the mattress was over a cup of aluminum and sawdust.

Walk through was a joke.....dealer did not know thIs model.

Lack of care and attention at factory and lazy dealer
drano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #15

New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Hello Airstreamers!
After searching for the perfect used AS, we finally made the decision (based on price) to buy new.
We are getting a 2019 Serenity 27FB. We absolutely love them!
I'm going to Denver to pick it up in the next week or 2 and would like to know what you all think are things to be on the lookout for when I do the walk through inspection. I'm not as concerned with how things operate but things that typically need attention when they are brand new. I will be making about an 800 mile trip back home, which should shake things out or up a bit. So I want to do a good walk through.
Thank you all in advance, you have been wonderful in answering our questions while looking!
Use the walk around as a learning experience to operate the systems in the AS. Then take the AS on a two week trip and start writing down all your issues and concerns as they occur. Don’t take it too far from the dealership you bought it from. I guarantee you will be taking it back. If you go to a different dealership, you will have to wait in line, which could be weeks. Good luck.
Acdph7t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
It's Dec. in the Rockies so makes sure this is winterized before it spends the night outdoors.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Lincoln , California
Read

Don’t forget to read the owners manual. It’s amazing how many questions can be answered by looking it up.
Bigbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I believe that the number of problems found on pickup is a direct reflection on the dealer. If they do their job correctly and test each system all of those "problems" should be caught.
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Time should be on your side!

PDI in many cases is more of a Sign and Drive now.

You should operate everything from front to back side to side inside and out. If the salesperson rolls the eyes or keeps looking at the watch walk out and say we’ll take it home when we get the time to get it done. If it's two days it’s two days.

You have a wealth of information from all the above posts. I would make a list of your pre-delivery needs and interests and send it to the dealer well before you show up. We took delivery and then spent two days at a local RV park waiting for the proper hitch equipment to be delivered so we could tow home.

Good and bad your new baby trailer will expose her own personality and repair/adjustment/replace needs the first 100 miles down the road.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I believe that the number of problems found on pickup is a direct reflection on the dealer. If they do their job correctly and test each system all of those "problems" should be caught.
I agree. I have had very few problems on our new serenity. I think the dealer did a good job of going through systems before the PDI. We did camp the weekend after picking it up close to the dealer and stopped on our way home for new batteries. Like the others have mentioned, they were pretty much boiled dry.
Runs_4_beer is offline   Reply With Quote