Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 AM   #21
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think with your time frame and your budget, you might think about going vintage. You could buy something and have it brought up to snuff for less than new and it will be easier on your tow vehicle.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Hampstead38,
Here is another one for your consideration. This is a used unit available at DJ RV... 1981 31' Excell II and it is WELL within your price range.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I have to say, Cameron, I'm leaning towards staying married and finding a way to make the bed a little longer. I guess one of the appeals in renovating a vintage trailer (versus the "off-the-lot" approach) is the chance to make a few of those changes.

<snip>. I think we can make a 25' trailer work for our hiatus... and I'd prefer to keep it about that length with a modest dry weight to avoid buying a new two vehicle. It's just a question of fine tuning the interior a bit, I suppose.
Hi and welcome to the forum, Hampstead. Glad to hear you are keeping the wife.

I, too, feel that the 25' will suit our needs without necessitating a Monster Truck to tow it. I also noticed that the twin singles give the most "square area of bedspace per person". More than, say, the "queen" configuration. Usual bed dimensions seem to be flexible in AS TTs, so a Queen is not really a Queen, so to speak.

Also, most queens are mounted into a corner, which must make it difficult for the inside person to sneek out of bed without both of you being woken up, should ever a noctural trip become necessary.

Just a few thoughts...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thanks for the warm welcome and the additional comments. While the idea of a larger (over 25') trailer has some appeal, after our hiatus the tin girl will become primarily a weekender. I think we're OK with something that is comfortable but not necessarily palatial. The current plan for our tow vehicle is my Nissan Titan. I'm making a number of tow friendly modifications but at the end of the day, it's still a half-ton truck. Looking at a handsome old girl like the 1981 31' Excella means a walk to the truck dealership. I've heard there are some great deals to be had on the 1-ton diesels given fuel prices, but the money we spend on the TV is money we won't spend on the trailer or on "the big trip."

I have seen some beautiful restorations. The vintage tin also seems lighter and easier to pull. If the interior is essentially gutted, the intrepid owner can design the floorplan. I'm not sure one can improve much on the Airstreams, but this said, a trailer for just two people can be done a bit differently than one that can accommodate more.

I understand the advantages of the twins versus the queen (maybe we should call the smaller version a "princess"?) On the other hand, I love waking up next to my lovely wife... even if I have to trampoline bounce out and over her.

I do appreciate the links to trailers. The more we see, the better we understand the market. Rather than come in with a fixed idea and try to make the world fit, I want to stay open to ideas and to your collective, hard-earned experience. The truth be told, we could make all kinds of things "work," but where's the fun in that?
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I live about 20 minutes from you if you want to come by and see a 1962. It is not for sale, but you are welcome to come by...
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Buy recent, but used

New trailer pricing is based on cost-plus-margin. There is only so much room to deal, even when the RV economy tanks. You can probably get ~25% off list, if you are willing to drive to the lowest bidding dealer.

But used RV's are a different story. You will save a LOT of money if you purchase a recent, but used, trailer. Many people who buy RV's don't have the time to use them much (like me), so a "used" one can be virtually new. I'm sure that you could find a really nice, little used, stored inside, year 2000 or newer 25' Airstream for under $25K.

We have the 25 SS (six sleeper), not because we have 6 people, but because we like having a bed, dinette, and sofa all at the same time. If I were to do it again I would get the 28' to avoid the corner bed and have a bit more room in the bath.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Thanks for the offer to the see the '62. The pictures were nice.

I agree on the "gently used" thought, DMac. A dealer will sit on inventory, but a private seller sometimes needs to sell. I'm not looking to take advantage of anyone, but I do like a deal where everyone walks away happy. As noted, I'm keeping an open mind and an eye on the market. I'm also learning a bit more about vintage trailers. I think of this way; the more we know, the better.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DeSoto , Texas
'83 Avion versus '78 A/S Exc 500

We want to plunge into something but... like an insecure tourist from Hong Kong facing a bear in CO- we don't know what to do.

My wife and dad did the second check of an '83 Avion 30' er today. They're asking $6500- new tires, well kept/maintained, heater needs a 'coupling' to make it work?, everything else works, zip dees. Belongs to our retired neighbors oldest child- we trust them with our kids.

We're also considering an A/S that would be in similar age and shape. Example- '78 Excella 500 for $8500 on craigslist. New carpet, tires good (not great) everything works, small bubbling spot on counter in bath, no leaks. Guy has owned it for a year but now selling due to health.

Any wisdom on the buying, A/S vs Avion, or specfically on these two is greatly appreciated.

the binks
txbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Unlike the Colorado bears, the Airstreams don't bite you until you take them home.

Seriously, I can't tell you much about Airstreams versus Avions save what I have read doing my background research on the Internet. I can suggest that you the more you can explain about what you need, the better folks around here seem to be able to help.

On a fundamental level, a trailer is a tool... though somewhat more complex than say a hammer. A guy can walk into a real hardware store (disappearing these days) and find a dazzling array of hammers. The more you can tell the salesperson about what you plan to do with the hammer and how much you can spend, the better chance you have of getting a hammer that suits your needs. Through the course of this thread (and with the warm and gracious reception I have received), I have told folks that my wife and I need a travel trailer for an extended "hiatus" traveling the country. After the slice of early retirement, my wife and I will resume work and mostly "weekend." We're taller than some so the AS bed and shower are a bit "squinched." We've looked at the new Airstreams and think we could make a 25' Safari work, but we're open to ideas including a restoring a vintage tin girl. Our budget is about $50,000. We're leaning towards using our Nissan Titan as a tow vehicle and we'd be reluctant to go over 25' or 6000 pounds dry weight... unless we find a 31' my wife loves and she forces me to buy a 1-ton rig.

The folks around here seem to be able to do everything except channel the ghost of Wally Byam. The more you can tell folks about who you are and how you want to use your AS, the better they can help you. So, my suggestion is to fill in the details as you can and enjoy the hospitality.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
We're taller than some so the AS bed and shower are a bit "squinched."
Hampstead38,
My wife and I are vertically challenged and on a good day I am 5'6" and my wife is about 5'4". We are probably some of the few people that can walk in and out of an Airstream without having to duck.

The shower in our '87 is has more room than the '06. But the '06 bathroom area is larger because the throne and sink are on the road side and the shower is on the curb side. My wife loves to shower in both of them, but unless the campground showers are disgusting I usually make use of them. One less mess my wife has to clean up.

Quote:
...unless we find a 31' my wife loves and she forces me to buy a 1-ton rig..
You can pull a 31' with a 3/4 ton. Our '87 34' is actually more docile on the road than the 30'. The 30' is a slide out model with a LOT of tongue weight.

Be careful when you are looking, becasue you just may run across a 34 footer that you absolutely have to have.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Craig's List

Hampstead38,
I just ran through Criag's List for PA and thought you may be interested in...

2002 AIRSTREAM SAFARI 25' 6-SLEEPER "PLUS BUNK BED"

This has potential.

1985 32' Excella

This is a nice older unit, but from your previous posts it sounds like you still like to sleep with your wife (as do I). So the separate beds may be an issue. That was a big problem when we went looking for our second trailer. Finding an older Airstream with a queen bed was difficult.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DeSoto , Texas
This Avion would be pulled by our 97 Suburban K1500 (5.7L) and is 30'. We have HD trailering on it and this would be our first towing experience (save what I have done with my dad's 27' 5th wheel TT).

We need a hitch (brand?) and upgrade its 2 batteries (to get the auto level jack working, etc), heater repaired, and I believe that's it. It weighs approx 5500-5700 lbs dry and our Burb's original sticker says it's rated to pull 7500#.

Our neighbors are TT'ers, pull a 27' 5th wheel and Bass boat together with their '92 Ram diesel. This '83 Avion 30-P belongs to their daughter and they verify it's in great shape save the things I've listed. I found out about this Avion when I told my neighbor I was looking, wondered if he knew anyone selling (he sold his older SilverStreak last year but recommended I not buy it based on its age, weight vs my Suburban). They weren't necessarily selling until I asked- they indicate they will sell it b/c they don't use it much any more... maybe since 2005 while they built a home.

Thank you, any/all, for help. jwb
txbinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbinks View Post
We need a hitch (brand?)
Txbinks,
Discussing hitches here is like discussing politics, religion, or the Great Pumpkin. Everybody has their favorites. I had a Reese when I had an SOB, but when I got our first Airstream we got an Equal-i-zer hitch and I love it. If you really have the money you can look into the Hensley Arrow.

I cannot speak as to the quality of the Avions, but I have seen quite afew of them on the road and in campgrounds. The only thing that would worry me is parts availability. But if the price is right and it is well kept, like and Airstream, it should last a good long while.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post
This is a nice older unit, but from your previous posts it sounds like you still like to sleep with your wife (as do I).

I'm going to go out on a limb here, Carl, but I'm guessing what you meant is that you enjoy sleeping with your wife as much as I enjoy sleeping with my wife.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here, Carl, but I'm guessing what you meant is that you enjoy sleeping with your wife as much as I enjoy sleeping with my wife.
Hampstead38,
LOL. It read ok when I proof read it, but now that I read it again it is a little, how shal we say...misleading? And yes, I meant I enjoy sleeping with MY wife.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
Old 06-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I laughed out loud as well. I appreciate the links to trailers. It seems there's more going on in PA than south of the Mason-Dixon line. I don't see many travel trailers moving in Maryland.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #37
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only Airstreams I see are the ones passing through. Very few are sighted on the road, here in Maryland. If you go down the shore, on 97 just after the Crownsville rt 450 exit there are two parked on a hill just in the woods. Gets me excited every time we pass them. Good luck with your search and feel free to come by.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
We are headed down'ee ocean to see the in-laws this weekend. They live near Cambridge. It does seem odd to me that there are so few Airstreams in Maryland. This is a pretty decent state for public campgrounds and other facilities.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:48 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Just want to add something: I looked at the 32' Excella pictures... the one in Bucks County. I had a couple of reactions. One... 32' feels really big to me. Two, I don't have a good sense of the Excella floor plan based on the limited photos. I'm not sure I'm interested in something that big, but out of curiousity, how do the Excella's pull? Let's say a person put in new running gear (axles, tires, brakes), is this something a person could haul around the country? Based on my continued reading, it seems like a person can get a pretty good deal on the "longish" Excellas circa 80s to 90s. I just don't know much about them... yet.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Quote:
Just want to add something: I looked at the 32' Excella pictures... the one in Bucks County. I had a couple of reactions. One... 32' feels really big to me. Two, I don't have a good sense of the Excella floor plan based on the limited photos.

Hampstead38,
Be careful now, you are experiencing the first stages of Aluminitis, and I'm here to help.

Here are some links to help you out with the mid-1980's floor plans. When we got our '87 they had ALL the paperwork, including a 1987 product sales brochure and the specifications and floor plans for the 1987 model year. I scanned them into PDF's and they are available here...

1987 Airstream Product Brochure

1987 Airstream Product Specifications Features And Floorplans

Quote:
I'm not sure I'm interested in something that big, but out of curiosity, how do the Excella's pull? Let's say a person put in new running gear (axles, tires, brakes), is this something a person could haul around the country? Based on my continued reading, it seems like a person can get a pretty good deal on the "longish" Excellas circa 80s to 90s. I just don't know much about them... yet.

Hopefully you should not have to install new axles, tires, or brakes on a mid-1980's - 1990's trailer. There are however enough axle threads here to choke a horse, if you are up to the reading. The rule of thumb seems to be as long as there is at least 2 - 3 inches of tire viewable between the wheel rim and the wheel well trim, the axles should be OK. Brakes and tires are easy to replace.

At Penn Wood Airstream Park, where we keep the '87, there are lots of "snowbirds" that pull their trailers back and forth from Pennsylvania to Florida every year. And they all have 34 footers, because they are full timing. So in a word, yes, they can be hauled around the country.

My TV is pretty darned big as seen in my signature. I go at least 5 - 10 miles over the speed limit and get 18 mpg when not towing. When towing I try not to exceed 65 mph and get a steady 14 mpg. And that's hauling in PA through the PA hills. The tuck has plenty of power to tow our Airstreams. We use an Equal-i-zer hitch and love it. Easy to hook and unhook and has 4-way sway control

The 87 was purchased in Ohio and the trip was eight hours and in those eight hours of towing it home, I hardly knew it was back there, other than the drop in gas mileage. After I put the new floating floor in, we trailered it back to Ohio to P & S Trailer Services to have it stripped, polished, new decals, new lower wrap, new clearcoat, and added Zip Dee awnings on the road side and the rear. It needed none of the exterior work, I just wanted it ti look like new and be ready for the next 20 years. Then when it was finished we towed it back to Penn Wood and will tow it home at the end of the season in October. And I would have no hesitation in pulling it coast to coast, if I could only find the time.

Here is a link to some of my Airstream Life community page. You should be able to get a better picture of what a 34' looks like on the inside. Some of them were during the construction phase before I installed the floating floor. There are also some pictures of our '06 at Penn Wood and other places.

http://airstreamlife.ning.com/profile/DEITZ645

We travel with our beagle, Bailey and like I said we are by no means tall or large people and I think our 30' and 34' fits us perfect. Plus our daughter, son-in-law, and 9 month old grandson frequently join us, so the room is a must at those times. I would love a small 19' Bambi or a 25' International like the one at DJ's, but would be afraid we would get cramped after while.

Hopefully this all will give you some food for thought.

What is it Darth Vadrer said to Luke Skywaler???

"Luke, come to the dark side"
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)