Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #1

What should I look for when buying?

I am looking at buying an older trailer to restore. Around the 23 to 26 foot length, 60's to 70's vintage. What are common problems and what should I be looking for when I check them over? I'm travelling to N Carolina in the near future and may look at some on the way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pete
Kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Figure out what your total budget is; that is purchasing and rehabbing. Then start shopping. You can get an idea of the cost of various repair jobs by searching these forums.

Pre 74(ish) trailers may not have grey water tanks.
Some longer trailers built during the seventies may be prone to frame seperation.

Common repair issues for older trailers include:

Rotted (water damaged) sub floors. This can be a big repair.
Tires and / or wheels
Plumbing upgrades
Univolt (power inverter) and battery
Axles might need to be replaced (big ticket item)
Appliance upgrades
Leaks
Broken glass - can be expensive
Upholstry, carpet etc.
and... there are more.

If you find a trailer that has been well maintained or fixed you will have to pay more for it. On the other hand, the cost of fixing can be spread over time....

My $.02 I would look for a trailer with a good floor, no body damage and good axles. The rest is managable.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What should I look for when buying?

Greeting Kees!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees
I am looking at buying an older trailer to restore. Around the 23 to 26 foot length, 60's to 70's vintage. What are common problems and what should I be looking for when I check them over? I'm travelling to N Carolina in the near future and may look at some on the way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Pete
You will likely find quite a number of coaches available in your model and size range. Janet has enumerated a good selection of the items to consider. Another good source to consult is to check out the Price vs. Condition page on R. J. Dial's website - - this page will give you an idea of the critical features to examine on a Vintage coach as well as provide you with some guidelines regarding values for a coach in a given condition.

Good luck with your search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote