Old 09-22-2003, 01:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Andy,
thank you for openly and professionally clearing AS and AS Dealer's responsabilities here on the forum.

What I personally don't find fair/just is when you DON'T pay a super discounted price for your unit and still get charged $500 - $800 on top of that for "dealer's prep" and then go out with your unit and find all sorts of problems:
nails sticking out, unsealed shower stalls that leak water into the unit, furniture mounted obviously incorrectly, window latches that don't close because again have not been mounted correctly...etc.

If you had paid a cheap price, got a great discount then yes, you get what you paid for but that's not the case for everyone!

Old 09-22-2003, 01:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

I don't remember the exact cost for dealer prep but I seem to remember $300+. This included pressure testing and filling the fresh water tank, filling the propane tanks, instruction on all appliances, awning, etc. We also received 2 ZipDee chairs and a welcome kit containing tp, sewer hose, pressure regulator, and some chemicals. The price also included the EAZ-LIFT weight distribution bars and hitch. They would have also installed the hitch receiver and break controller had we not already had it. In retrospect, I think we got a good deal.

On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Andy brings up a good point and one that I'd like to ask:

Anyone use Paul Sherry in Ohio?

Comments either on or offline appreciated.

Regards,

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dealer preparation, is normally a part of the deal, as well as customer check out.

Normally two hours time is more than adequate for a complete customer check out, including having the buyer operate everything themselves, and in the case of a trailer, hook it up to their tow vehicle and go for a test drive with someone from the dealership.

Extra charges may apply for add on's, that were not a part of the contract.

Andy
Old 09-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dealer Prep = Held inverted by your ankles and shaken vigorously by dealer until no more money falls out of your pockets. Then your on your way.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Dealer Prep = Held inverted by your ankles and shaken vigorously by dealer until no more money falls out of your pockets. Then your on your way.
That's a great one! We're still laughing!

Thanks
Old 09-23-2003, 09:47 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

I have a different viewpoint

I have to admit that without criticizing anyone, I strongly disagree with Andy's opinion. It is not a matter of whether or not the dealer decided to make a deal that could be considered a "Wholesale Deal." The bottom line is that they chose to make that deal.

From that point on, you are the customer, and no matter what, they should treat you with the utmost respect and offer you the same service that they would offer any of their other customers. That is what customer service is all about.

Regarding a fee for Pre Delivery Inspection, the concept of it is an absolute joke. After working in the automotive industry for over 10 years, I strongly believe that the only reason that dealers are getting away with the charge is because customers are letting them. As soon as customers refuse to pay the fee and take their business to a dealer that does not charge the fee, the fee will disappear. Why should a customer have to pay a dealer a fee for buying a product from them and inspecting the product that they are selling? If the dealer wants to charge anyone for the inspection, they should charge Airstream or the respective parts supplier. Why should a customer have to pay a dealer to check his/her brand new unit for any problems? Why should a customer have to pay a dealer to show them around their unit or how to used the unit? Isn't that what customer service is all about?

Have you ever purchased a car and then been told that you are going to be charged for the delivery process. Of course not, we would all laugh and go to the dealer down the street. Before you ever take delivery of a new vehicle, a technician goes through the automobile and it is fully inspected. You are then given the opportunity to go through the automobile as well. As I mentioned before, my background is in the automotive industry. I would like to stress that I have never worked on the retail side of the industry, but on the manufacturers side. As a graduate of the University of Michigan with an MBA in Finance and MS in Management, I have worked with General Motors, General Motors dealers and suppliers to GM world wide on what it takes to make the system work.

I think that this all seems like common sense, but PDI fees will only end when we say enough is enough. The bottom line is that purchasing a new Airsteam is not cheap. I believe that when we spend several thousands of dollars on a new unit, the dealer not only has a responsibility, but an obligation to make sure that everything is right. That is the only way to do business.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Joshua32064.

Please be advised that I did not state an "opinion."

I merely stated facts. Facts that anyone that has been around the RV industry for many years, knows as well as I do.

I did not say I agreed with or disagreed with them. That is another matter.

We do not, have not and will not sell any RV. Our business is solely parts and service.

Andy
Old 09-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

You are right. You do not sell RV's so my comments do not apply to you. Regardless, the bottom line is that the only reason why all of these practices have gone on is because customers have allowed them to go on.

Josh
Old 09-23-2003, 12:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Josh.

I agree with you.

The "buyers" allowed it happen, and it did.

But, sometimes a buyer invites the problem.

However, the buyers "can" curb the abuse.

The old adage "be an informed buyer" seems in time, to have slipped by the wayside.

The best dealer, for the sale, "AND" service, is not always the closest.

Andy
Old 09-23-2003, 09:03 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Andy,

I can't disagree with a word you wrote. Hopefully the process will change in the near future.

Josh
Old 09-24-2003, 08:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Josh.

But there are those that will throw caution to the wind, and pay and pay, and pay again, because it adds fuel to the "gripe" wagon.

And there are those that "shop, inquire, save, and become happy campers."

Ah, blessed are those that are "happy campers."

For it is "they" that make being in business, worth while, and camping a "joy."

Andy
Old 09-24-2003, 11:02 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

This is exactly the kind of "thing" that those of us on the outside looking in are perhaps more aware of than those of you who are already in the game. And probably, this kind of "that's the way it is" thinking is keeping some of us out. We are all aware of the price of admission to airstream ownership, but please, quality and treating the customer with respect should be a given in this price range. (IMHO)! The customer will pay for honest value.
This is also the kind of real discussion some of us come here to see, and I hope Airstream is listening. My congrats to Josh for telling it like it is. luke
Old 09-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Dealer Prep

I agree with Joshua , when buying an Airstream there should be no dealer prep . I was lucky , the dealer I used did not charge for it , I would not have payed it regardless, I would have walked first . My unit was clean , full of fuel , batterys , the dealer threw in a few misc . items hoses , power adapter , a device to help fill your fresh water tank faster , toilet paper , some chemicals. I even received the electric brake control and Equalizer . this was installed of course . I then received a good instruction session , which must have been murder on the guy , due to my incessant questions . I shopped for well over year and bought at a big discount and still received good service . I think that when you step up to what I believe is the finest trailer on Earth , SERVICE should not be something you have to beg for . Joshua is right , if they agree to sell it to you at a discount , the service should be an automatic part of the deal regardless of the price paid , unless I guess they sold it to you at pure cost , but who's going to do that .LOL I leave on my first short run tomorrow morning , Hoo-ray !