Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2003, 02:25 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

What is "dealer prep"?

Just got word our 16CCD will be coming out of factory around the 30th, then shipped to dealer in B.C. I am a novice, here - this is my first trailer. What should I expect of the dealer in terms of preparation and a briefing on use? With all the QC issues lately, I plan on telling them to go to extremes. Should I expect them to install the hitch (I'm prob. buying an Equal-i-zer), or the brake controller? Should they purge and fill propane tanks? Mints on the pillows? What?
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:40 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It really depends on your dealer. My Safari was Walbernized, all plastic on the carpet was removed, unit interior was clean, water tank was filled, A/C was on, tire pressures were checked, LP tanks were filled, we were supplied a new water hose and sewer hose, unit was leveled for an overnight stay at the dealer's, a bottle of champaign was in the cold refrigerator. We had almost 2 hours of instruction going through everything on the trailer.

The dealer did install my dual cam sway control (I had it written into our agreement).

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Exclamation Burn in the furnace!!!!

Frozen, See my post on the furnace sets off smoke alarm. The dealer (really the factory?) should do this on their propane and time.
Enjoy,
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
"Dealer Prep" is usually $50 worth of work for $800.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I dunno about $50 worth

Jack's experience sounded like dealer prep was certainly worth it.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:50 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Pick, Do you mean dealers usually charge for this? or overcharge, I guess. I'm assuming AS sets some standards for their dealers to make sure what is delivered meets whatever standards they have set.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 06:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Dealer prep...

Congratulations on your 16' CCD frozen chosen!

Quote:
"Dealer Prep" is usually $50 worth of work for $800.
Well, it sure does vary from dealer to dealer.

In our opinion you should not have to pay for dealer's prep since most of the time what they do is covered under your regular warranty and is basic common sense!

Anyway, we got no champagne or other gifts whatsoever and paid $495.00 for our dealer's prep which included (as per their doc):
- inspection of exterior fit & finish.
- adjust wheel lugs to specs, fill tires to proper PSI
- check all external outlets
- check stop, turn & running lights
- check & flush all water tanks
- winterize (if necessary)
- check & fill propane tanks
- check & operate all appliances
- check water pressure to all faucets & showerhead
- full interior-exterior detail
- customer orientation
- RV Starter KIT; to include: 10'waste hose, 25'RV type water hose, 30-15 AMP adapter, 1 roll of RV toilet tissue, 1 single use packet of black tank de-odorizer, 1 pair of disposable clear plastic gloves.

Guess what? After we checked it we found several other problems, all being taken care of now. Quite a few which should've been addressed in the prep we paid for!
ie. ...if you turn the shower on water leaks onto the bath floor since the stall was not sealed all the way! ....the dinette was mounted completely wrong, unlevelled and not square to the wall!

Live and forget!

If you can don't pay for it, unless it's a very reasonable price and you feel you're going to get something extra besides what you're entitled to when you buy a new product!!!!!!!!!

wish you all the best
Old 09-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't even get me started about dealer prep.....my dealer when questioned where the fire extinguisher was.....he came back and said there was not one that came with the brand new unit..

Of course I got 2 sets of stabilizer cranks, 2 15a converter plugs and they gave me 3 units worth of documents, some features my unit didn't even have....

I've communicated most of my strange exp with this dealer to Airstream.

Kimili is right...live and forget...

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
If there was one thing we would do over regarding the dealers instructions, or lack of, on the care & use for of our unit, I would have taken a video. For one thing the excitment of the moment & or fear (what have we done?) seem to overwhelm the ???? presentation. Even with two--well three counting Mr. Turbo--we all came away with different ideas on how things worked. For instance, Mr. Turbo still thinks his bed is on the mattress & ours is on the floor. We're still fighting over that one. It would have been nice if we had a video to run the ???? presentation again, showing the awning procedures, proper flushing of the tanks, maint, etc, or again the lack of. I suggested to A/S on the customer sheet that THEY supply the video. Never heard, but still think it's a good idea.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
BTW, there were no extra charges added for our "prep". I do understand that its buried within the deal that you negotiate with the dealer even if it isn't added as a line item.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Lightbulb We did record the dealer instructions

Our experience was very much like Jack's (minus the champagne). And the cost was probably buried into the price, but we were not billed for dealer prep. We did video tape the instructions though. I recommend doing that if possible. Especially if you are new to things like hitching up.
Ken
silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dealer Prep

A dealers obligation to the buyer of a new Airstream product, is to perform what is called a "PDI."

The PDI (predelivery inspection) entails a complete test and inspection of everything and anything pertaining to that coach, and to ensure that it is functioning properly. If not, Airstream or the component manufacturer, as the case may be, will cover the necessary labor to effect proper operation.

A "customer checkout," is one of the huge variables, but shouldn't be.

When a dealer has sold a coach, "ultra wholesale," they have lost the incentive to do a good job for the buyer. Shouldn't be that way, but it is.

A proper customer checkout insures the owner that everything about the coach, has been demonstated to them, and all reasonable questions answered.

Topping off with a cold bottle of wine or champagne, comes from a "class dealer."

A dealer can run from there's the coach, here's the keys, see ya, to that of the true professional, who will devote time and effort to ensure that the new buyer, is as happy and informed as can be.

The buyer places themselves in the hands of the dealer that they selected.

The buyer should inquire about the dealer from other customers of that dealership.

Business is business. If the buyer pushed for an "ultra wholesale" deal, they also then pushed for the minimum of care and treatment. If that is the case, then they sort of got what they paid for. That might be harsh, but that is the way it is.

As in any sales organization, there are good dealers and there are those that are not. How they are supported, or lack thereof by the buyers, dictates their future.

The other thing that a buyer controls is delivery time. Don't buy the coach today and demand delivery today. DON'T BE IN A HURRY. Purchasing an Airstream is almost like purchasing a home. Today, it's the second largest investment that a family will usually ever make, unless your a pilot, or want a Yacht. Ask the dealer when can he deliver the coach to you. If the dealer is given the time to prep the coach properly, and does not, then you have a beef.

If immediate delivery is demanded, you have not allowed the dealer the proper "make ready" time.

Funny, silly, dumb things happen when the public goes through coaches on display. The dealer should take the time, for you, the buyer, to ensure that everything functions in the manner that Airstream intended.

And finally, what kind of service can that selling dealer provide, AFTER THE SALE???? Don't be a party to frustration.

Andy

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool Sorta like

When you fly with a bargain airline...
And, they throw bags of peanuts at you...lol

Quote:
Topping off with a cold bottle of wine or champagne, comes from a "class dealer."
I believe I know the dealer that he bought his unit from..(at least I think it's the one in StLo) If it is, I'm not surprised at all..They came across (to me) as being a real first class operations~!
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Bill Thomas

I have known Bill Thomas personally since 1970.

He, and his company, were a class act then, and they still are today.

Andy
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Andy,
thank you for openly and professionally clearing AS and AS Dealer's responsabilities here on the forum.

What I personally don't find fair/just is when you DON'T pay a super discounted price for your unit and still get charged $500 - $800 on top of that for "dealer's prep" and then go out with your unit and find all sorts of problems:
nails sticking out, unsealed shower stalls that leak water into the unit, furniture mounted obviously incorrectly, window latches that don't close because again have not been mounted correctly...etc.

If you had paid a cheap price, got a great discount then yes, you get what you paid for but that's not the case for everyone!
Old 09-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

I don't remember the exact cost for dealer prep but I seem to remember $300+. This included pressure testing and filling the fresh water tank, filling the propane tanks, instruction on all appliances, awning, etc. We also received 2 ZipDee chairs and a welcome kit containing tp, sewer hose, pressure regulator, and some chemicals. The price also included the EAZ-LIFT weight distribution bars and hitch. They would have also installed the hitch receiver and break controller had we not already had it. In retrospect, I think we got a good deal.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Andy brings up a good point and one that I'd like to ask:

Anyone use Paul Sherry in Ohio?

Comments either on or offline appreciated.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Dealer preparation, is normally a part of the deal, as well as customer check out.

Normally two hours time is more than adequate for a complete customer check out, including having the buyer operate everything themselves, and in the case of a trailer, hook it up to their tow vehicle and go for a test drive with someone from the dealership.

Extra charges may apply for add on's, that were not a part of the contract.

Andy
Old 09-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Dealer Prep = Held inverted by your ankles and shaken vigorously by dealer until no more money falls out of your pockets. Then your on your way.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
Dealer Prep = Held inverted by your ankles and shaken vigorously by dealer until no more money falls out of your pockets. Then your on your way.
That's a great one! We're still laughing!

Thanks