Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

what could be wrong with a 54 FC stored 10 years

I am in conversasion with someone who has a 54 Flying cloud that has been stored for ten years. What am I up against? Obviously new tires and bearings repacked. But what about the systems? If they worked when it was parked, would they still work? Or am I in for a lot of work?
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Really makes a lot of difference where it was stored. Inside, dry, climate controlled. If not then corrosion will have done some damage. Check every thing.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Where it's located (subject to winter/freezing temperatures?),
how it was stored (inside? under a tarp),
was it sealed so mice/critters were kept out? Was the waste system properly cleaned before storage.
Is there a battery - if so was it removed
Propane tanks will likely no longer be current and will need recertification or replacement (the new style valves)

I few years back I bought a trailer that had been semi restored five years earlier, then not properly stored.

The issues we found were mostly that mice had gotten into it and run rampant in it so although it looked great it had to be gutted, which we did. In our search we found a few that had waste tanks which had not been properly cleaned and you could certainly tell.

On one we looked at the water tank, made of metal, had not been properly drained and tank was quite rusty. I didn't buy it so don't know if the tank had to be replaced but had I purchased it I would have felt obligated to do so.

If it has an awning on it you'll want to check it out as well, particularly if the trailer was parked outside.

I'm sure others will be able to provide a much more extensive list, but these are the things we found in our pursuit/acquisition.

Good luck and if you buy it we'll be looking for pictures.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
My '65 had been sitting in a barn for ten years, no mice but I did find a couple of birds that had found a way in but not out. The tires were cracked very bad and the propane hoses from the tanks to the regulator and from the regulator to the line under the trailer had to be replaced.
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

we are still waiting for pictures unfortuneatly we are in california and it is in MA. Sounds like its a second owner trailer, so i am hopeful of it being in good shape. From what I understand it has been stored under a tarp for ten years witht eh wheels removed. I don't know if the tanks were drained or if it was winterized before storage.

I guess I will wait to see pictures, it will help to know at least how it was stored. Its gonna have to be in pretty good shape for me to go through the hasle of getting the thing over here.

any other advice??

Someone mentioned a thread about people checking out a trailer out of state for you. Anybody know anything about this?
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Inspectors List

Somewhere on here there is an inspectors list. I looked for an hour, didn't find it. I did find a link to "a" list for volunteer inspectors.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...5&d=1123865344

Maybe someone else on here knows where the updated version is located.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Lightbulb This is 52 years old......

If you have never purchased a 52 year old travel trailer......
Check out this thread right here in the Forums...

@ http://www.airforums.com/forum...oud-18950.html

First, check the floor & frame for rot.....

Unless the previous owner(s) did the necessary work, you are looking at replacing the water & propane systems, appliances, & possibly the axle & springs, certainly the tires & probably the rims....
You will be hard pressed to find someone to accept the liability associated with towing this..... the only safe way to transport it it to flatbed it.
This is a project trailer, unless you have it in writing otherwise......
Do not think this is "turnkey" and you will be able to start using it....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:20 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Somewhere on here there is an inspectors list. I looked for an hour, didn't find it. I did find a link to "a" list for volunteer inspectors.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...5&d=1123865344

Maybe someone else on here knows where the updated version is located.

Chris
Is it this one??? It is a .pdf File with the trailer inspectors list. Also this thread could be interesting for you...

Good luck!!

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Trailers and motor homes are meant to be used not stored. Plan on replacing all of the systems and anything fabric or that could absorb odors. Even wood could be so musty by now that you will have to rip it out and start over. This may be a complete gut job due to non-use. The tarp scares me since it would tend to keep moisture in and not allow the trailer to air and dry, further if the tarp was resting on the shell you may have some issues with the aluminum. We have purchased two Airstreams which had little use and understand that it is not a good thing.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Yakima , Washington
How does one get on the list of volunteer inspectors?
AIR 7834 WBCCI 2105/VAC
65glbtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65glbtrotter
How does one get on the list of volunteer inspectors?
65glbtrotter I think you have to send a PM to rluhr to get on that list. I am not shure if he can get the Infos that all of us can have in the User CP, where you can mark the Inspector field and than can say which type your are inspecting... An other option I think is to post on the thread that you want to volunteer.

Does anyone know what happend to the old 'so you want to buy three states away' thread?? Is it now the 'Inspector near Melbourne FL' thread??

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Does anyone know what happend to the old 'so you want to buy three states away' thread?? Is it now the 'Inspector near Melbourne FL' thread??

Bjoern
Yes, it's the same thread. The Melbourne FL thread was merged into the original thread and the program kept the wrong title. I have changed it back to: So, you want to buy a trailer 3 states away???

Thanks for the heads up...crisis averted!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
If you think about anything left outside under a tarp for 10 years, be it a lawnmower, car, trailer, whatever, it's going to be subject to all the variables of weather, critters, and normal deterioration. If you cannot go touch and feel it or have someone you trust do that for you, then you have to either determine if you want to purchase a project or look for something closer to home. It may be in beautiful shape, but odds are just through normal attrition it's going to need work. It comes down to are you willing to take a gamble, if it's in need of repairs (likely) are you up to the challenge/costs/time it will take?

I hate to coach someone when the possibility is there that the unit is in wonderful shape, but unless you can get someone who truly knows what to look for to check it out, you might want to consider other units.

That's my take anyways and best of luck.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote