Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Warranty Service

Hopefully this is not an inappropriate question and I have posted in the right spot.

Have you received good(or bad) warranty service from Stafford in Fredericksburg, VA or Colonial in NJ? Any thoughts/advice on getting warranty service on an Airstream for a new buyer?

Thanks.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I will answer your question like this: My warranty service was good, not great. If you have real problems, more than likely they will be fixed. If you have minor problems, Door hard to open or close, tongue jack makes unusal noises, or one stabilizer binds when raising or lowering, they will most likely be ignored. Or "I lubed them, try it out for a while." Plan on doing a lot of minor things yourself. Not the case with me, but many have had to take their trailer to the factory for large, or proper, repairs that the selling dealer wouldn't or couldn't do. As for the dealers that you mentioned, I couldn't tell you any thing about them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The dealer we bought it from was really bad. We took it to the factory for warranty service—1,400 miles away.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
The service at Colonial is excellent.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Well - I shall soon be able to comment usefully here. After a 4,000km trip in my brand new Intertnational Signature series 23' AS I need to be impressed. On the second day out, the brake siezed up on one wheel destroying the tire. Next, a piece of trim on the shower came unglued on its whole 5' length and fell off; Next the catch holding the sliding locker door refused to catch - the striker plate is not positioned properly; then the right tail light ceased to function regardless of what i did by way of first aid; Then the shower curtain no longer rolled up properly which was followed by the toilet not only leaking into the bathroom but not holding a seal in the bowl; The fridge began to make fairly loud "motoring" sounds when running on 110 hook up and finally the stove lid fell apart, its screws falling behind the stove along with a partially instered grommet for the grill - irretrievable for me.

I have an appointment with the dealer in two weeks...On the phone he asked me " You are expecting this is warranty are you?"

May I quote Homer? Duh!

More news in 2 weeks!
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
RMB, I believe some Airstreamers who live in BC take their trailers to the dealer in Eugene, Ore.

Gene
Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Well, give credit where credit is due. See my post above. A visit to my dealer ( Traveland, Langly BC) and everything was fixed with no fuss, no arguments and moreover, with a smile. AS/ dealer even gave me a new tire. No complaints here.
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
We've purchased both of our AS's (2003 23' International used and 2008 27' FBSE new) from Safford. As you may or may not have read, the words 'quality control' did not exist in the Airstream lexicon for model year 2008. When we took our unit back for repairs under warranty, they did try to do the fixes and do them right. It was at a time when, apparently, they had a pretty complete turnover in their service department. The staff, at that time, seemed to have been hired away from Rolling Hills RV in the Ashland VA area. While they may have had general RV knowledge, they didn't seem as knowledgable as the earlier service personnel.
We ended up taking ARVIN back to the mother ship with a six page list of needed repairs under the 2 year warranty.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordTruck View Post
As you may or may not have read, the words 'quality control' did not exist in the Airstream lexicon for model year 2008.
We ended up taking ARVIN back to the mother ship with a six page list of needed repairs under the 2 year warranty.
Ford', you are not alone. We made two trips to JC for warranty repairs with our '08 after giving up on a really bad dealer in Colorado.

Gene