Old 03-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Well said RideAir! Wish there was a like button on here.

WBCCI# 2578
Four Corners Unit

Our travel and resto blog:
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Richardson , Texas
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
If you really want to do it right truly the best way is the following.

Buy Two Trailers!!

The second trailer is one you want to "restore" which you do as you are having fun camping in the first one :-)

This seems to be the right idea. Had a great chat with my patient wife and we've landed on getting a ready to camp trailer first. This isn't likely to be an AS, but I'll be free to find a project without impacting family time.

Thanks for all the heartfelt thoughts. We're camping this month in our tent again before Texas melts for the summer. I'm sure you'll see us down the road when the time is right.

Oneshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #31
1965 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , 98133
I am seven months in to my shell off. It took three months of intense work to get to the place I am now. Chassis about to flip and lower shell back down. It's been expensive and very rewarding. I did it because I had a long list of requirements. My advantage is a 7k sq ft shop with a car lift, pneumatic hoses on each side and every tool imaginable. If it weren't for that I would not have repaired my frame and just done the floor. Under the wood was a badly rusted frame. Must have a good foundation. It was About $4400 including welding new axle and wiring. It will be 7
more months as I can't work on it as intensely. The airforum has been the single greatest source for honest feedback, encouragement and venting. This is not for the faint of heart. Whatever your choice, I hope you make your airstream dream come true. Dena
__________________ link to Glamper Girl on FB
thumbelinadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I'm currently doing similar to what you are planning. I bought a camped in '67 overlander and am fixing it up as we camp - we took our first trip this weekend. It has good bones and had been camped in recently so we knew it was usable for our purposes. We have two kids, 4 and 2, and a dog. Our first trip we had working electricity and propane for the stove, which was enough to be enjoyable. Next trip we should have working plumbing as well, but honestly coming from tent camping that's the least important. We've done an interior freshening up with new flooring and some paint and it made a huge difference. We'll keep doing smaller trips until the bugs are worked out and improving it little by little. The key is no leaks and it's safe, the rest will come as time permits.

Money wise, if you can do your own work there's not much that costs a lot, really. Just the axles and appliances, but you can hunt for deals on used appliances. I'll be replacing or fixing my fridge, but that doesn't mean I need to blow three grand on a new tri mode fridge...These things are easy to work on and this place is a great knowledge base.
bobzdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The suggestion to get two trailers has a hearty endorsement from me - but in reality most of us just don't have room or time for two.

I AM actually more than half serious with the following suggeston.

You surely will admit (A) the price is hard to beat (B) you can be 99.999% sure this frame is solid (C) there is plenty of room for your growing family (D) it doesn't have that one hidden disadvantage that some Argosy's have - Minuets are only 7.5 feet wide and (E) it has all that 70's "charm" that is crying out for modernization ((( on edit - and duh! look at the Area Code! )))

PS - it also has a gen-u-wine no kidding BATHTUB that's bigger than the tubs in the 70's Airstreams.

PPS - of course it isn't a tiny camper but if you ever want to go to a Aggie home game with a dozen of your buddies - you want this!

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote