Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Walnut Creek , California
WANTED: Our First Airstream - 22-25' Safari or Trade Wind

Hello:

We have 3 year old twins and would like to introduce them to the great outdoors through the windows of an Airstream. We currently live in Northern California having moved from Colorado two years ago. We have always dreamed of owning an Airstream and finally have the means and motivation to fulfill this dream.

We are looking for a restored 22’ Safari or 24’-25’ (depending on the year) Trade Wind. We are partial to the ‘60s vintage single axel models but are open to later years as well. We would rather pay more for one which has been restored and well maintained verses paying less for one which will need quite a bit of work. While I do look forward to “tinkering” I respect the amount of knowledge and time required to repair these beautiful trailers.

If anyone knows someone who is selling a trailer which fits this description, we would love to give it a good home. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail at lufetargbas@yahoo.com.

Lastly, we have been scouring this Forum's Classified section, Craigslist and EBAY with little luck. Are there any other resources we should consider for our search?

Thank you in advance.
Lufetarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Lufetarg,
From the east coast, Welcom To The Forums!

In addition to where you are already searching, take a look at the Airstream dealers and other RV dealer web sites. You never know when or where an Airstream is going to turn up. Plus most of the dealers now have an on-line inventory listing. There are also places in the web like RV trader, etc...

You may also want to take a look here...

Airstream < Airstream Campers | Vintage-Airstream.com
RV Trader® - New and Used RVs for sale on RV Trader
www.rvt.com

Good luck in your quest and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Also be aware that there may be Airatream owners near you or a trailer that you are interested in that would be willing to make an inspection of the trailer with/for you. Use the resources here in the forums and you won't be disappointed.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Hope you have been here reading, reading, and more reading. EDUCATE yourself about what to look for when you inspect a trailer. We knew NOTHING about an AS when we started looking.

I would say by reading on this forum that probably 70 to 80 percent of older AS need floor work. So be aware of an AS with a "new floor". Is just the top floor new or was the plywood replaced? Was it restored or just covered up. That would be my main concern. If they have restored or remodeled it ask for pictures.

Learn how to tell if it needs new axles. Most of the older ones do. Andy from Inland RV who contributes to this forum has a link on the bottom of his posts telling you how to tell if they are bad.

Take a camera with you and take lots of pictures come back here and post them. You will get lots of coments and help.

Lastly, I would probably go for the tradewind, more space for kids. We are remodeling an Tradewind so we can take our 2 grandkids on a 3 -4 week vacation to the Mt. Rushmore-Grand Canyon this summer, and I don't think I would want to be in anything smaller.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Lufetarg, Welcome to the forums and good luck with your search and your desire to introduce your twins to the outdoor fun in an AS. I have a 63 TW with twin beds and 2 childs cots that are above the twin beds, also a goucho that folds into a double bed. With the kids you may want the dinete. I was lucky as mine came from the 2nd owner and both owners maintained it very well. All still orinional and all appl. work, the floor is solid. The good ones are out there, keep looking. I did pay more, however not as much as if i had to redo everything. I have a nice little piece of history.
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Lufetarg,

Welcome. You may also want to try Airstreamguy.com - Home

There is a '59 Tradewind listed for sale on this site now.

He sells vintage Airstreams on this site and individuals also lists their Airstreams. Good Luck
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Since you are in California

You can contact Uwe here in Southern California to see if he knows of a trailer that will make you happy.....he is currently restoring our 68 Ambassador....www.area63productions.com. We wish we had connected with Uwe before we bought our first Airstream on ebay.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote