Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Madison , Mississippi
Vintage?

I'm new to the forum and airstreams. Please tell me at what year the Vintage models start, and if I were gonna purchase my first used 25ish foot trailer, do you have any suggestions for year models?
Thanks
AIRSTREAMROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
If your new at this....stay away from a seventies time frame.....unless it is checked out by a KNOWLEDGABLE person. Do research on what to expect with a vintage and really be aware of the expenses to get it done right.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
If your new at this....stay away from a seventies time frame.....unless it is checked out by a KNOWLEDGABLE person. Do research on what to expect with a vintage and really be aware of the expenses to get it done right.
What do you have against us folks that are renovating something from the 70's maybe that's the style we like ? I personally prefer them to the older style what should we do just trash and junk out every thing made in the 1970s ? Each to his own Brother
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
I have no idea what year "vintage" starts ...

For me, year was not so important. The condition of the trailer, no matter how old was extremely important - and how much of it would require replacement. As well as how large the co-pilot is comfortable with towing.

Axles, tires, appliances, plumbing (gas and water), electrical (12vdc interior and running, 110vac, charge converter system), replace or repair furniture, repair leaks, replace a rotten floor, etc. It can add up.

Happy to say that even after all of the above except rotten floor as I haven't found any (yet), we'll still have less in our 75 Overlander (27') than a new white box.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Welcome to the forum. Vintage or not, it comes down to the style you like (40's, 50's, 60's...), the floor plan and the actual condition of the individual trailer.

There are a few of us 'Streamers here in central MS!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Vintage, by the Vintage Airstream Club (part of WBCCI) definition, is any Airstream or Argosy at least 25 years old. So, it is a moving target, with each year changing. By this definition pre 1990 is "vintage".
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #7

1979 31' Sovereign
Roanoke , Virginia
I'm curious...why the recommendations to stay away from a 70s unit?
Cadillac4275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Woodburn , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipm626 View Post
I'm curious...why the recommendations to stay away from a 70s unit?
That was the years that Beatrice owned Airstream , Bad axels , frame tail droop in the longer models kinda like when AMF bought Harley Davidson they cheapened them or mass produced them but I still love em an own both I like the looks of a 70's overlander and 70's Harley's I have a few of them also
So buy what you like because your gonna spend lots of money renovating any year of airstream you buy but look what you will have in the out come
shineybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
OK ...I guess I am blistered

Notice I said checked out by someone KNOWLEDGABLE. The seventies are the famous rear end separation candidates. The seventies saw the beginnings of the Grey water systems. The seventies saw the converter problems. The seventies saw the beginnings of pressed wood flooring. The seventies saw the use of a "new" cabinetry instead of wood. The seventies saw the infamous roll up cabinet doors. The seventies air conditioners, fridges and water heaters are all now needing replacement....and they did not have drain lines...most of them. The seventies all need axle replacement now(unless already changed.) A properly maintained and restored 70's Airstream is a gem to be sure. Again...watch yourself if your a beginner.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Notice I said checked out by someone KNOWLEDGABLE. ... Again...watch yourself if your a beginner.
That is a good point - it's maybe not a case of the '70's being any worse but they are new enough that it's easy to slop some flooring over a rotten floor 'check the brakes' and 'pack the wheel bearings'...
The appliances might look just like a late 90's but they are 20 years older...likewise with the axles, window seals...

I personally think the disdain for the 70's are due to the 'modern' styling that was in demand at that time - fake wood tones, wild upholstery and carpet, sliding doors, bell bottom pants, big hair (oops, flash backs - going back to my big recliner now)

Search for the 'new buyers guide' somewhere here on the forums - I gotta go, A&E has a Jimmy Hendricks concert coming on now.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Oh my I just bought a original 73...
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote