Old 02-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Congratulations!!!

Fred has a friend! What's the trailer's name?

Have fun and best of luck to you, I am sure you will do well with your work endeavors on the road and make your dreams come true.

I know there are many young full timers on Instagram, many friends to be made!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #58
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Congratulations!!!

Fred has a friend! What's the trailer's name?

Have fun and best of luck to you, I am sure you will do well with your work endeavors on the road and make your dreams come true.

I know there are many young full timers on Instagram, many friends to be made!

Thanks Ted. We still need to find the right name for the trailer. Friends have dubbed it the silver twinkie, but that's not going to stick long-term. Thanks for the encouragement Ted, we really appreciate it.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #59
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Congratulations.

Does it have dual air/heatpump?

The desk that was put in place of the dinette, does it have a leaf that folds up on the end? I noticed there is no side table adjacent to the couch so maybe the PO took it out when removing the dinette. Looks like you can do a lot with the desk to spruce it up and personalize it for yourselves.

Did you get the brake controller figured out?

How'd it tow?

Take it slow and easy.

Kelvin
The factory air conditioner (in the kitchen) has a heat pump on it. The PO installed a second air conditioner (on a second 30A circuit) with no heat pump.

Yup, the desk has a leaf that flips up to make a table. I prefer the original flip-out tables that AS put in them, but this will do.

The brake controller is a piece of junk. It's a Draw Tite Activator 2. It's a time-based delay. In other words, there are two adjustments. 1) how hard it brakes and 2) how long it delays before applying the brake 100%. It had an exponential braking, where the brakes got stronger and stronger over time, even if you're not pushing the pedal any stronger. So long, 20 second slow-downs at a light ended up pulsing because it would reach it's 5 second interval, almost lock up the tires, then I'd have to pump the brakes again. If I braked by hand, with the manual trigger thing, it was a dream.

Since then, I've purchased a Tekonsha P3 (still have to install it). With the internal gyroscope, I'm confident it'll be MUCH better.

The van towed fantastic. Apart from the suspension, tires, and regar (4.10s to put the ratio back to stock power), the van is stock. No chip, no fancy intake or exhaust, and it did well. I'm in no hurry. We never dipped below 45 mph, and we took it easy. The dealer set up our blue ox (I think that's what it's called) weight distribution hitch really well. We hit a really bad wind storm and had to take a break in Vegas, but apart from that it was great.

The trailer (or maybe it's the weight distribution hitch?) dragged on every single gas station, and the tanks hang down extremely low. We'll most likely be dropping the axle another 3" to give it some more clearance under there, and we may consider 16" wheels (though I still have to research why 15" wheels won't work with a bigger tire).

We've got a video coming soon of our white-knuckle trip driving it back to Utah through a snowstorm. We stayed safe, but our 11 hour return trip turned into a 22 hour return trip at 30 mph. NOT FUN.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
sacramento , California
Congrats left message on your channel