Old 06-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unit Sits on Lot

First post here, long time RV owner but just started shopping for an AS.
First off, when did the new year 2020 models become available? I've seen a posting where someone has taken delivery of s 2020.
I'm looking at two 2019 FC 27FB units, one Queen and one Twin. The queen was made in July 2018 and Twin April 2019. Nine month spread.
Question: how does sitting on the lot for a longer period not only affect sales price but the overall condition of the unit sitting in the hot Gulf Coast sun those extra months.
Thanks.

lzhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Wow. Over 160 views and no replies. Tough subject?

Old 06-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
The 2020 models have just recently started being available, and they will be rolling out more over the next couple of months.

It's the batteries that commonly take a beating when the units sits on the lot for a long period of time. Just ask for new ones as part of the deal.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
If the Airstream business is like the car business, the dealer has been paying interest on the trailer for the time it has been sitting on the lot. They should be willing to trade deeper on a unit they have held longer. That said, there may be a reason why the trailer has been sitting. It could be an unpopular model, loaded with options that no one wants, or have a problem that a good inspection might uncover.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Me too looking at a 2018

Please tell me if I need to start a separate thread, new here. Along those same lines What should we ask about a unit that has been sitting on the dealer lot for sometime? I'm looking at a 2018 FC27FBQ. Could this be the one unit that has visited EVERY RV show for the last year and a half? or is there other issues? if so what should I look for. The one web site photo showed the roof covered in 3-4 inches of snow. It has the extras, awnings, dual AC's, backup camera, solar panels. Any help would be appreciated. What should WE (OP and myself ) be asking looking for. Thanks

Oh one other thing could it have been one of the last ones built in 2018? How can you tell mfg date?

Rick
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Time on the lot

The "Date of Manufacture" is on a white sticker at the front of the trailer on the street side. About 5"x 5". The date is in the upper right corner of the sticker.
A better price may be available on a unit that has been on the lot for a while.

We just purchased a 2019 FC 25 RBT with a build date of November, 2018. The dealer had another exact copy with a build date of January, 2019. The MSRP base price (before options) was $1000,00 less on the November trailer due to a price increase at Airstream beginning January, 2019. Now, the FC 25 RBT and RBQ models are pretty popular as are the 25 FB models. How this dealer wound up with 2 identical RBT's is a mystery. However, They did give us a heck of a great price on the November, 2019 built trailer.

The dealer was Out of Doors Mart in Colton (Greensboro) North Carolina. Very good people to deal with. No pressure. Let us look for hours on a rainy Saturday. Delivery was handled very well. No glitches.

So, bottom line, look at that "Date of Manufacture". It may benefit you.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
What should WE (OP and myself ) be asking looking for. Thanks

Oh one other thing could it have been one of the last ones built in 2018? How can you tell mfg date?

Rick
Aside from tires and batteries both of which would now be "old" I would be concerned of how the roof is holding up after sitting in the weather. The salesman I spoke with said they take 15% off MSRP automatically and the sales manager "may" go more. I'm thinking units made in 2018 should discount 25% + but I have no experience. And this is why I have asked this group for some guidance.

So to make is more simple, what percent discount off MSRP are folks getting?
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Forest Grove , Oregon
To me the bigger question is do you want a queen or twin configuration? There are camps on both sides of the fence. For us a twin would be a deal killer, others the queen would. With what you are going to pay for this trailer I would highly suggest getting your want, need, nice to have list in place....then shop around. Looking for the "best deal" now may get you into trouble, or the dreaded "move upness" disease that sneaks up from behind.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
LOTs of threads on how much off MSRP.
I think typically expect 18-20% off brand-spanking new.
But sitting on lot that long 25% (or maybe more) is likely not unreasonable.
If dealership is not high-volume AS then not uncommon to be there that long.
Likely nothing wrong with it, just some dealers just don't sell that many.
However, I agree, get new batts - they are likely already DOA.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Erie , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzhome View Post

So to make is more simple, what percent discount off MSRP are folks getting?

the dealers right at 20%. I did call and got a few insights from the salesperson, the interior decor is not one of their popular ones, they sell more twins than the queen and the second AC unit up north here is not a selling point.

izhome; I will check on the roof, tires (wheels) I would plan to upgrade anyway and the same on the batteries (looking at lithium's)
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
You should be able to order a new 2020 unit just the way you want it for at least 20% off MSRP with some comparison bids. On the 2018, given all the people who have been tromping through it, I would think you should be able to get even better and that’s of the lower 2018 price.

It is true that the dealer has been paying interest on the unit all this time so they’ll be taking a loss at, say, 25% off 2018 MSRP.

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote