Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Two a/c units or one?????

My husband and I are planning to purchase a 27FB Eddie Bauer as soon as we are able. I have read so much, I feel like I could almost build one!! One question we have, is one a/c unit PLENTY or should we consider getting 2 units? We live in Florida and for the most part will be camping in Florida with trips out of State every chance we get However, I do like it COLD! If we had guest staying and closed our bedroom door, are there vents in the bedroom? Would we be plenty cool? Or..should we consider two units? Thanks!

Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Air conditioner provide 2 functions. Reduce temperature and reduce humidity.

As far a comfort level is concerned the latter is far more important. It is a common mistake to think more cooling capacity is a good choice. It is not. You will be far more comfortable at a warmer temperature with low humidity than than a cooler temperature, with the unit short cycling against the thermostat, and higher humidity. A single properly sized AC unit will give you better all around results.

Now as for privacy while having guests you may have to seek cooperation among those staying with you. If a ducted AC unit is available that may solve your problem.

2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You are going to be dealing with humidity rather than extreme heat. If you were telling me Arizona or Texas, I'd consider two units. The Eddie Bauer has the 15K air conditioner so it should be adequate. I've got the 15K unit on my 30' Safari and I've always felt it has been adequate. Too much cooling will give you a damp clammy feeling which is not comfortable. You need to have run time to truly dehumidify the trailer.

I'd consider adding a street side awning that will do a lot in keeping solar gain down. Personally I like the long awning that shades the entire side of the trailer over the separate window awnings. This keeps the sun off the entire side rather than protecting windows only.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We had an '04 28' classic, and when the weather was hot (as it often gets in Texas and all over the Southwest) the one air conditioner wasn't enough. Our 31' Classic has two units, and it's much better. The problem is to run two A/C units, you need 50 amp service, which is not always available.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Two. I installed second... Penguin 13K BTU. I CAN GET IT "turtle" cold in our bedroom. Gets plenty dry too. Great dehumidifier!

The front AC, relieve of the heat load from galley to rear, actually even cycles in 103 degree Texas weather.

But, with our granddaughters going in and out the units did NOT cycle..yet kept things comfortable, even while tending to their demands.

I decided to install 50amp rather than separate circuit outside to a pedestal jus for the rear AC.

Result, my lovely bride has all the conveniences of home.. Can run all "necessary" gadgets... And that make my life reallllly easier.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote