Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Foiled Again summed it up well. My first experience with a camper was an Interstate-like vehicle as a rental for a month. My first thought would be how you plan to camp and who will be camping. If solo, either works. Couple, still both but tight. Boondocking? Camper van can be sneaky!

The other choice will be like an apartment. You can put a generator in the truck bed, hook an LP hose to it and run it off the tanks in the front. The fridge can be run on LP down the highway. The biggest danger of LP is enclosed spaces that allow gas build-up.

shh, if you look outside the B van box like Tomzstream suggested, look at the Unity by Leisurevan. Nice.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Part of my concern is a breakdowns with a Sprinter. There are not many authorized dealers in the US. Some states have none. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard

Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #17
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard
The new EcoDiesel in the 1500 might be a better option if you aren't getting anything bigger than a 22.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Part of my concern is a breakdowns with a Sprinter. There are not many authorized dealers in the US. Some states have none. The 2500 Ram Diesel might be too much, but the fuel milage is good. Thanks for all the advise. Since we plan to retire by the end of the year, I might wait until our hurricane season is over.
Gerhard
I don't hear of issues with Sprinter breakdowns, so don't feel you should give this too much weight.

We also have all of our routine service and maintenance done at Peterbilt.

Have had ours 7+ years, and cousn't love her more.

Short trips, long trips, have done them all.

Maggie
Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
I looked into the 1500 Echo Diesel Truck. Chrysler uses a new Italian made Diesel and I would give it time to see if there are problems. The Cummings is probably the best Diesel made and the milage is better than I thought. These 1500 Echo Diesel trucks are also hard to find at the moment. It is interesting that the Mercedes 3.0 Liter diesel is getting about 18-20 miles per gallon and the Chrysler Echo Diesel is claiming to get 28 mpg. Also a 3.0 Liter engine.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
The big issue with the sprinter van is the plastic turbo resonator which is factory installed. Mine left me stranded twice until I put an after market aluminum resonator in. No worries since. Pushing 70,000 miles and that was the only van issue. Now the airstream components, that is a whole different story.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Nineteen foot trailer is marginally bigger than a AI. Four people? Jim
Old 07-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Being over 6 foot tall is a deterrent for me on getting a Sprinter. Can't stand fully in the up-right position and laying down to sleep is another issue. They look nice, seem to be functional, but not for me.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
Agree w Howie, never ever buy new..
Unless you want a new unit built or equipped just as you prefer ... YMMV ...
Old 07-01-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Gerhard
Not to worry. Plenty of MB shops throughout the south. Sprinters are everywhere and so are shops that work on them. I've owned several MB vehicles and only "broke down" once in over a million miles on them... and that was due to a faulty catalytic converter install by midas... Never again. Keep to the service plan (you can buy in advance from MBUSA for a discount) and you'll have no worries. And there are all kinds of roadside assistance packages available from third parties.

As far as hurricanes go.. its a lot easier to evacuate in a van than having to hitch up a trailer... That's my plan. And if you opt for a short wheelbase unit like the RT SS AGILE built on a 2500 chassis, I'd definitely wait for the 2015 chassis as it will have crosswind assist standard... Useful in Tropical Storm and Hurricane winds to say the least! Not so much needed on the 3500 chassis, but wouldn't mind having it myself.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Saw the "answer" today

Driving to work today, I saw a fairly big moho - 30 feet? towing a big tricked out Sprinter camper van! If you've got enough money, "convenient" and "practical" must have expanded definitions. I like Sergei's Argosy combo better though - and it's a fraction of what was paid by the guy with the Sprinter toad.

I think of myself as being "comfortable" financially - and not having children has allowed me to do that without having a fortune. But some people must just be ROLLING in money to have an outfit like that! However, a Sprinter as a toad does make a certain amount of sense. A moho isn't practical to take to a downtown restaurant or center city theater, or even into many neighborhoods... but a Sprinter can go anywhere a sedan or minivan can. Can you just hear George Carlin doing his riff on carrying your "stuff" and the insecurity of being too far away from all your stuff?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
My toad plans are all electric. I am leaning toward a MB B-Class Plug-In Electric Front Wheel Drive Car carried on a dolly. It has a Tesla drivetrain and can go 80 or so miles on a charge, enough to go get that milk that everyone forgot to pack...

The alternative is a small trailer carrying a couple of electric motorcycles... While Harley recently debuted its prototypes, I am leaning toward the Zero brand as they have been in the electric bike business longer. Of course, both options require being near shore power when camping.

There are great tax credits for the cars of course, but did you know that the quasi-annual R&D and consumer Sales Tax credit bill now working through congress, includes a credit for two or three wheel electric vehicles as well?

Another technological innovation making the rounds is tapping the high capacity lithium ion battery packs in electric cars to act as backup power... at over 28kWh, thats a nice alternative to putting all those batteries in your van. Use it when you need it.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
We own both... well, sort of. We have a 1999 B190 (earlier version of the Interstate, which my wife uses predominantly) and a 2008 27 foot trailer (which we mostly use when we travel together - which is most of the time).

For me, the big thing about the trailer is I get to pack all the "stuff" that is handy when traveling, such as a charcoal grill, firewood, fire pit, cooler, and most especially the kayaks, which would be close to impossible with the B190 (or Interstate). There is a lot of extra space to carry stuff in the bed of the truck, and far more living space in the trailer (for me, far more creature comfort - particularly if the weather is not ideal). If I had to choose one or the other, I would choose the trailer.

Having said that, there are a host of reasons why the B190 (or in your case Interstate) provides a far better solution. If we travel with just bikes, they mount easily on a rack on the back of the 190. And it comes with a built-in generator. Plus, choices as to where you park overnight become greatly increased. Just depends on your needs/wants. And Howie's comments about not buying new - particularly in your case, is probably good counsel.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
TomStream.... Electric vehicles. Muy interesant!

What are the considerations of adding solar panels to your carrying vehicle and charging the car/motorcycle/segway/whatever from the solar? Talking about the flexible glue down type. The roof of a truck or van, and possibly even the truck Cap or part of the bed could be used for more of the same.

Just thinking outside of the straightjacket, eh?

Paula