Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Trade-up advice for late model airstream

I bought my 23' last summer. A little faster than expected we got married and should have a baby in August. I suspect at some point in the next few years we'll consider upgrading. So far I like the 25' FB, though not sure I need the panoramic windows in the front (particularly after spending a night this week in a snowstorm and 15 degree temps).

I'm curious what advice members might have in terms of trading up with lots of flexibility around timeline. I'd probably prefer a used 2006 or later. Aren't there sales tax benefits of trading one in before buying a new one? Does that have to be done through a dealer? Just planning in advance in case the perfect option comes up sooner than a few years from now. Also, can a 2005 F-150 tow a 25'?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Normally trades are done at a dealer. I suppose you could trade with an individual, and I would think the results would be the same from a sales/use tax standpoint.

Anyway, sales or use tax (same thing for these purposes—if you don't pay it to the seller, when you register it, you'll pay it then) is paid on the difference between the price of the new vehicle and the trade value. So if you pay $30,000 for the new one and you get $20,000 on the trade in, tax is on $10,000. But it has to be the same transaction with the same sellers and buyers. The advantage of selling your trailer yourself is you will almost always get a lot more money than the dealer will give you and should make up for the sales tax hit. And, right now, they are having enough trouble selling trailers, why would they give you a good price for a used one?

If you sell the '08 now, I think the depreciation will surprise you, though with buying an '06-'08, it may even out. Another '08 would have equal depreciation. By the time you get to '06, the depreciation is less each year. I would think, not based on any hard facts, it would be better to wait a few years, get some use out of your 23' and then see what works for you. If you keep making babies, you may need bigger and bigger trailers.

All the FB SE's come with panoramics at both ends. The non-SE's don't have that option. The SE's are midway between the regular Safari and the International trim lines. The SE's have the aluminum interior and a lot of upgrades not available on the Safari. You can have good curtains made for the panoramic windows and solve the problem of the cheesy ones made by Airstream. Eventually my wife is going to line the OEM ones and that should help. The thicker they are, the harder it will be to open them.

Dealers have told me they don't get that many used ones, and when they do, they go fast. I don't know if that's true, or they just say that to sell you a new one. If you want a recent model you'll probably buy it from an individual anyway.

Gene

Old 08-15-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
never met a dealer that didnt want top buck for their unit and want to give you nothing for your trade.when dealing with dealer employees they talk out of both sides of their mouths.best bet is to buy and sell privately and get your repairs done at the factory.if you can time the sale of your trailer with the purchase of the new one you may have the title company do what they call in pa a courtesy delivery.this shows a trade in on the paperwork so that your sales tax on the new unit is reduced.ive purchased two brand new trailers off of the nj dealer over the last five years,and when i inquired about another trade up they treated me like a second class citizen.unlucky for them i will be sure to tell others about my experience as i travel this great country.i thought i was dealing with somebody with bi-polar disorder.i guess desparate people do desparate things.the old saying is things wont disappoint you ,but people certainly will.this dealership went from a 10 to a 1.be careful who you deal with.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
In my state (VT) you have 90 days between the transactions to take a tax credit for the sold or traded vehicle against the new purchase. Other states may vary but it's a good idea to check it out.

Rotsa Ruck!

MisterMike
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Crawford Gene said:
"Anyway, sales or use tax (same thing for these purposes—if you don't pay it to the seller, when you register it, you'll pay it then) is paid on the difference between the price of the new vehicle and the trade value. So if you pay $30,000 for the new one and you get $20,000 on the trade in, tax is on $10,000. But it has to be the same transaction with the same sellers and buyers. The advantage of selling your trailer yourself is you will almost always get a lot more money than the dealer will give you and should make up for the sales tax hit. And, right now, they are having enough trouble selling trailers, why would they give you a good price for a used one?"

I recently bought a t@b in Colorado Springs from the dealer (also an AS dealer) and paid 2.9% state sales tax. When I registered it in La Plata county, there was a 2% county sales tax. Buy a new or used trailer in NM and register it in CO and sales tax is computed on the county percentage. If you're paying cash for a used unit, you can pretty much tell the DMV clerk what ever you want as to the purchase price that will determine the sales tax. Registering a vehicle in a CO county with a low sales tax rate (San Miguel has no county sales tax on trucks) used to be handy until the motor voter rules screwed that up!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another situation is to live in a county with no use tax. I live in Delta County and although it has a sales tax, it has no use tax. That makes it beneficial not to buy any vehicle in this county as I only pay the state sales tax. This works against Delta County auto and RV dealers, but I take advantage of it and buy only in other counties. If I bought a vehicle in the county, I would have to pay the county sales tax.

Denis, you paid a use tax, not a sales tax. It's basically the same thing in most cases, but a sales tax is collected by a retailer. A use tax on vehicles is collected when you register the vehicle. If you buy other things out of the county you live in and have them delivered to where you live, you are supposed to pay the county the tax if it has enacted a use tax though few people do.

Putting a lower price on a bill of sale on a private transaction is frequently done to avoid taxes. Now in Colorado, I believe, you're supposed to put the price on the title and lying on that form is a crime. The title replaces the bill of sale. Either way, it is a crime to defraud the government of tax revenue.

1cericks1, what did you decide to do?

Gene
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by xonvldz View Post
never met a dealer that didnt want top buck for their unit and want to give you nothing for your trade.when dealing with dealer employees they talk out of both sides of their mouths.best bet is to buy and sell privately and get your repairs done at the factory.
ditto.