Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
coto de caza , California
Toyota Sequoia

anybody here use a Toyota Sequoia (we have a new 2007) as their tow vehicle? what size AS do you pull? thanks
pdl2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
I have no experience towing with a Sequoia but I know a fellow who tows a 30 foot Starcraft with with an eariler model Sequoia. Check out his web site at http://www.paushe.com/toyotasequoia.

The Sequoia's 4.7L engine may not sound impressive at first glance, but it's OHC and VVT engine coupled with its 5-speed tranny delivers all the HP and torque of my 5.3L push-rod Yukon, which I've used to tow a 30 foot ultralight myself before trading to our new-to-us 25 foot Safari (which should be a walk-in-the-park in comparison as it's only 200 lbs heavier, 6 feet shorter and much more aerodynamic).

With these SUV's the two things you have to watch out for is not exceeding the GVWR as their cargo carrying capacity (CCC) can be limited and you have to pay attention to the anti-sway hitch system due to the short wheelbase. A Hensley isn't necessarily essential, but it's sure nice to have.

Power wise these SUV's can do nicely - within reason and depending on your expectations (read, it ain't no diesel).

BTW, in comparison, he gets about 10%-20% better mileage (towing and not) than I did because of the Sequoia's smaller displacement engine, but now that I've traded to an Airstream, that should even things up.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
For a newer Airstream I'd say no problem with a 23'. Lighter older Airstreams from 20-30 years ago can be huge rebuild projects but you could go a couple feet longer with those. Hitch weights for empty trailers are here. Otherwise look for the specifications for new trailers at Airstream, Inc :: Home.

Look for the payload figures in your Sequoia user manual. This number is for a specific trim level and vehicle options subtract from payload capacity. Payload capacity numbers will be tighter restriction than tow capacity or GCWR. Sequoia is an SUV version of a 1/2 ton pickup; as such it has a heavier body than a pickup box, thus less capacity. Note that if your Sequoia trim level does not have a Class III receiver (tow package - 2" square receiver + 7-pin umbilical plugin) that the additional differential for installing one of these must be subtracted from the payload.

An RV trailer tongue weight will almost be 150-200# more than the listed empty trailer weights due to added weight distribution gear right at the hitch, propane in the cylinders and conservative personal loading in the trailer. Subtract the weight of all driver/passengers to be carried, tongue weight, etc from your tow vehicle payload. Stay 15-20% under the listed payload for peace of mind and safety's sake.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote