Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
Tow Vehicle & Trailer ?

Hi, We are on a search for a trailer. My wife likes the twin bed set up types. Easier in and out. Also I,d like to get one that will fit in my garage. Garage length now is 23' 11'', door height 9' 11''. What units will fit? I can bump out the garage 6' more . Can go with a 30' - 32' trailer but I don't want it parked out in the elements . Also what can I pull with a 1999 Chevy Sivarado 1500 2wd.,5.3 V-8, auto,3;42 rear end ratio, Ext. cab. 6' bed ? Do I need to put heavier rear springs on the truck? Any tips or experience will help! Thanks!!!!. Door width 9'11'',1/2''.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
How new of a trailer do you want? Vintage or newer? What's the budget? Do you need twins, or could you just sleep each on the dinette and gaucho? (Two twins could allow you to not have to set up beds each night.)

To me, if you're looking vintage, it sounds like you'd want a Safari from the 60s or 70s - they should just fit within the existing garage length and would be able to be towed by your truck.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKIRON View Post
Hi, We are on a search for a trailer. My wife likes the twin bed set up types... Garage length now is 23' 11'', door height 9' 11''. ... Also what can I pull with a 1999 Chevy Sivarado 1500 2wd.,5.3 V-8, auto,3;42 rear end ratio, Ext. cab. 6' bed ? Do I need to put heavier rear springs on the truck? Any tips or experience will help!..... Door width 9'11'',1/2''.
From the 1999 towing guide, your pickup (C1500 5.3 V-8 A 7,000a,f) would have a maximum tow rating (if equipped properly) of 7000 lbs. Most here on the Forum like to see a 20% "safety factor", so look to pull a MAXIMUM of 5600 lbs. It's important to weigh the trailer prior to purchase - the trailers often weigh out much more than "list" weight. The AS "length" already includes the tongue, so a 22' would PROBABLY fit in the garage - you won't have any walk around room, though.

Remember, you will have to open the trailer door once in the garage - that may or may not be a problem - a 10' wide door should fit most 'streams.

Your manufacturer (Chevy) rates your max tow weight for specific reasons - therefore "just" adding more spring to the rear axle will NOT necessarily increase the stated max of the tow vehicle - it is what it is...7,000 lbs. Make sure you are not exceeding the weight limits of the TV (tow vehicle) when it is fully loaded for travelling. Tongue weight and hitch weight could put you over the top on gross or rear axel limits.

Be sure you educate yourself as much as possible by reading the threads here prior to seriously looking at everything. Lots of good buys right now, but you have to know what (and where) to look.

Luck.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Dennis was soooo on the money when he said to educate yourself. My husband and I did one year of research before finding our 27' International. We started with a Dodge 1500 with hemi, but ended up with a Surburban and have had no problems towing. Make sure you look back in this forum and read some of the older threads...lots in info in here!!! By the way, we have twin beds in our AS and love them, they are longer than the queen and have two extra (small) closets in the bedroom. Look around alot...lots for sale. We found ours at the Tampa RV show, waited until the last day (risky!) and then commenced to dealing! We feel comfortable with what we paid, but who knows..... Have fun in your adventure! I kept a log of research I did; ie, pros and cons of certain styles, must haves, etc etc. Enjoy!
AndiJean
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote