Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Thor

Hey, we recently bought a 79' Sovereign 31', we've been remodeling it but now we're thinking we should finish it up, sell it and buy a new trailer.

Anyway after seeing the prices of a new Airstream we're looking at a new Thor 310, comes with a slide out, 33' and its $16,900.00! new in the Camping World book. The way I understand it Thor is the parent company of Airstream, any opinions on Thor?

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Look Deeper

I just went to a super-rv-dealer, not necessarily Thor, lot to help decide wether I should put a large amount of money into my Tradewind or buy somthing new.
I was imressed. The quality appeared uniformly low. As a visitor of this site for a couple of years it was surprising to me how many manufacturing flaws I spotted. I am linking my time spent on this site to my ability to spot flaws.
Gosh, it looks to me like I will keep what I have or get a used unit in better condition.
This reminds me of a friend I used to work with who said, "Better the Devil you know than the one you don't."
We ended up at a $100,000 unit before I felt like I feel in my ratty old Airstream.
Have you asked your wife what she thinks?
Robert

Old 10-31-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Have you asked your wife what she thinks?
Here's a guy that gets to the heart of the matter. Smart man, good question.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Not really Thor, but.....

Hello all -

Saw the thread about the 'feeling' inside a "Thor", Airstream, or ????

Have you really gone to Camping World or the like, and actually spent any real time inside a new unit...???

I mean REALLY spent any time there? I have. Lots, actually.

CW, Holiday Camper Sales, American RV, So. West RV, CostCo (when they have the RV sales event) and the like.... All the same.

As others mentioned, you are into SERIOUS $'s before I even GET CLOSE to having that relaxed, easy and NON-high falutin feeling of my AS, when I set foot into any RV.

For that matter, I get that same Heeby-Geeby feeling when I step into a newer AS, although less so!.... all that mirror stuff, in everything from Class A's down, all that BIG Flat screen stuff (not that there is anything srong with BIG flat screens!), and that trying to make it something that it isn't..... It IS a camper after all, but THAT SHOULDN'T BE A PENALTY!!!! On the contrary.

OK, re-read that above, and it all sounds very up-ity, and I am really NOT trying to go there.... I have a '92 for goodness sakes! But there is a REAL feeling of serenity and peace and space and quality and certain..... what??? I am not sure. But, it IS THERE!!! I have been in plenty of '90's and newer era units, and even some older ones, they ALL have IT!!!! It just feels right! It is just a certain something.... What?!?

Can anyone help me with a finger on that certain something??

For me and my $'s, there is NO substitute. Thor or otherwise....

Your experience may vary.

Axel
SilverToy
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I don't know if you can make a judgment about quality based solely with Thor at the helm. I think they have bought up numbers of manufacturers (in the teens perhaps????) Wouldn't the same people be manufacturing the various lines and Thor is more a reflection of the business holdings? I could be way off here but just something I suspect may be true.

You may get a lot of bang for your buck initially but it is not going to hold its value or approach the longeivity of an Airstream. The deal with Airstreams is they are an American icon and have a unique design and a dedicated following. If you do a search there are threads on "why an Airstream" and "are Airstreams worth the money." You might check those out for many more views on the subject.

Silvertoy is right, look at units in the 90s and up until 2002 if the 7os units require too much work, you may narrow the gap on the price point and be very pleased with what you see and "feel."

(The new Airstreams don't have all those mirrors anymore.)

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
Here's a guy that gets to the heart of the matter. Smart man, good question.
No wonder I stay in trouble with the wife all the time!

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeville34
Hey, we recently bought a 79' Sovereign 31', we've been remodeling it but now we're thinking we should finish it up, sell it and buy a new trailer.

Anyway after seeing the prices of a new Airstream we're looking at a new Thor 310, comes with a slide out, 33' and its $16,900.00! new in the Camping World book. The way I understand it Thor is the parent company of Airstream, any opinions on Thor?
Just because it's the parent company of Airstream, don't think for a second that it's anyplace near an Airstream in construction. Thor has a MASSIVE warranty line on it's books, Airstream included. That unit you currently have is a gem, may need work, but at that age, few wouldn't.

If you sell that Airstream, and go and buy a box for $16k, you'll regret it, maybe not initially, but at some point perhaps. Thor, like every other RV manufac is a box pusher. Build 'em hit quota and get a bonus. We'll deal with the warranty work later, just keep building them faster and cheaper.

That's the current state of the RV market lately.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
There aren't many RVs that will hold their resale or have the longevity of an Airstream, particularly a box at $16k. Not that there's anything wrong with them, but plan on having a new trailer that will last a maximum of 10 years before it's time for the RV graveyard, and will only be worth $8k after you roll it off the lot, and will depreciate $2-$3k a year after that (not that losing $16k on a trailer in five years is all that bad considering that you'll take a $20k hit on a new Airstream in three years... but after that the Airstream values tend to level out.

We bought our 1994 tri-axle 34' and used it for three years before we sold it for pretty much what we had bought it for. There are few other units that hold their value that well.

Roger
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

From a purely dollars and cents perspective, if you will loose $20K on a new AS in 3 years, and a white box costs $16K, you could buy a white box, use it for 3 years, throw it away and still be $4k ahead.

Neal
Old 11-01-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I am a hardcore Airstream fan but there was a time when we went looking for our first trailer. My wife, the salesman and myself were sitting in a brand new trailer on the dealer's lot. This lot was next to a fairly heavily travelled highway and the day was windy. We sat on the foam cushions while the salesperson yelled the amenities to us. We replied also yelling to be heard. My wife loves to express herself by using her hands while she talks but the rocking and rolling had her holding on tight. We left that dealer without a purchase but with our desire for an RV still intact. Eventually we purchased a then 26 year old 1975 Tradewind and loved every minute of that ownership. Our Tradewind is still rolling now with a new owner and we have moved on to a 25 year old Airstream motor home. I do not know for certain and can not prove it but I will bet that box we sat in on that dealer's lot is no longer in service.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Why I don't want SOB or a white-box...

Our States lone Airstream dealer is located across a divided four-lane highway from a major north-south rail line in a RV sales park - three or four dealers with a collective 1/2 mile lot full of trailers... Huge Canadian locomotives still configured for crossing the Rockies pulling serious freight thunder past regularly. I've been in dozens of trailers as the trains went by but the new Airstreams truly amazed me. Just walk in and take a few steps from the open door and no more noise. I guess I first heard the Airstream 'Hush" in 1992 when I started my trailer hunt. My 1973 Overlander does not have the full 'Hush' effect but has some, I'll admit for me the goal is a 2000+ Airstream just because of the quiet!!!

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi--In 1988 we bought a 1973 27' Overlander for $5000, becomming the third owner. Since then we have traveled most of the USA east of the Rockys, with about 800 days total on the road (retired in 1992). We invested about $1500 over that time in brakes, tires, batterys, water heater, and toilet (except for the tires doing the labor myself). This year we installed new Dexter axles, including labor, for $1275. So now we have a total cost of $7775, in an A/S that's still worth about $7000, and will still be rolling, long after we are too old to use it. Where am I going with all of this? If you are a serious RV'er, you can't afford not to own an A/S.--Frank S
Old 11-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
you're either an Airstream person, or you're not

There's just something about an Airstream. Not to get all philosophical but it's like a visual icon for travel, adventure and non-conformity. Sure maybe the white boxes have more room and more "amenities" but basically they all look like a Super8 motel room on wheels. Obviously that's fine for most folks because you sure see a lot of white boxes on the road. What you don't see is a lot of Airstreams. They turn heads. On our maiden voyage-- a 3 week, 5500 mile trip thru 10 rocky mountain states--we met people who just wanted to look at the trailer. And of course I was glad to show it off. They were interesting people and we had great conversations.

As Neal said, if it's just dollars and cents issue, buy a white box. If you're a travelller and an adventurer, then an Airstream is for you. Tourists collect things; travellers collect memories.

As for the new Airstreams, too bad Thor doesn't just sell shells with plumbing etc. roughed in so the interiors can be finished off to suit the individual.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleneal
From a purely dollars and cents perspective, if you will loose $20K on a new AS in 3 years, and a white box costs $16K, you could buy a white box, use it for 3 years, throw it away and still be $4k ahead.

Neal
Actually, if he kept his current unit, and fixed it up, that would be the most ideal situation. Spend the $16k on the Airstream, and in 5 years, it may still be worth $8k or more depending on condition. It's been suggested that as the new models increase in price, the vintage and used models will be even more attractive.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote