Old 01-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Things That Airstream Salespersons Say

Monday afternoon, I took the afternoon off to celebrate my wife's birthday and to go look at some Airstreams at a nearby dealer. Here are some of the things I was told ...

1. The Bambi really does not have any options to order.

2. There is no 13,500 btu AC option; heck, the 11k unit makes it ice cold in minutes, even on the hottest South Florida day.

3. There is no black tank flush option.

4. The reason there is no black tank flush option on the Bambi 19 is because there is no black tank. It has a combined tank.

5. You cannot order the sofa option on the Bambi 19 CCD International model, only on the Bambi 19 Safari.

6. The reason you can't order the sofa option on the CCD model is that the designer of the interiors has it stated in a contract with Airstream that "no changes" are allowed since the changes might ruin his reputation as a designer.

Funny thing is, none of these statements are true. The one we were really interested in was the sofa option on the CCD model. An e-mail to the sales distribution manager at Airstream confirmed that the sofa option IS available on the CCD model even though it is not shown on the web sight or in the brochures.

Airstream should hold their representatives to a much higher standard IMHO.

2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:14 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
They're like many car sales people. Very little knowledge, very little care.
Their main objective is to sell you what they have, TODAY.
There are exceptions, however. We should not throw them all in the same pot. Doing so will dwarf the efforts of the very good salespeople, in my opinion.

Old 01-29-2004, 02:36 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've been there and seen most of what you've seen. When you get that, you know it's time to leave as they are used car salesfolks.

Airstream does have person going around meeting with dealers...from the Airstreamer site, it looks as if this person and hopefully at some point people will be able to do just that by holding some of the worst dealers feet to the fire.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Last summer when we were looking at Airstreams, a dealer told us the 16CCD would never be put into production. It had been discontinued. Too many design flaws..... bla...bla...bla
Guess he didn't figure he'd have one to sell for awhile and wanted to turn us in another direction.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Just for fun, we looked at SOB trailers a few weeks ago. The salesman said "this units has real wood cabinets like you're used to in your Airstream." Of course my wife picked up on that immediately as the totally WRONG thing to say.

If you want to fall back in love with your Airstream, go see some other units!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Salesmen are bad , liturature is bad too.

My bambi MSRP sticker stated it had a microwave installed in it. I have also noticed NADA guides list the 2003 19ft Bambi as having 2 axles and a Microwave as standard. Anyone have a microwave that came with their trailer?

Nothing killes me more than having to know more than the goober pedaling the product.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally posted by 1985air345
If you want to fall back in love with your Airstream, go see some other units!
So TRUE! Go to a big RV show and save the AS for last. It is like first love all over again!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Stephen,

I have friends from Lk Worth who bought their Bambi from your local dealer and they didn't have a good experience at all.

But it sounds like you're on top of the game and that's what will make your deal sweet, not them.

Good luck ~ John
Old 01-30-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
When the 16'CCD came out I went to the dealer near us in North Central Texas to see if they had received one. They hadn't and I was told that the CCD line was going to be discontinued because of poor sales and lack of interest. I left without bothering to ask why would they expand the CCD line if they were so ill received.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

I wonder if the salesman was confusing the CCD line with that edition that came out for the Safari. I forget the name of that special edition, but I was told by several dealers that it was not well received. I believe it was called Elk Mountain?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:40 AM   #11
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
No he had one 22' CCD on the lot that according to him "just wouldn't sell", although I would have been more than happy to take it off his hands.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Like anything else in life its a matter of doing your homework. I don't buy anything anymore based on the word of a salesperson. I probably did 3 months of study asking questions of Airstream, others, and my dealer before I placed my order. Bottom line there were no regrets. I got exactly what I wanted and got no nasty surprises.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:28 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree with the direction of where Jack is going on this one. Doing your own homework is key. In the process however, you will find that you can get 3 different answers from three different Airstream sources. For example, when I bought my '03 Bambi, I took a LOT of things for granted. I did notice though that the window sticker said I had an 8 gal black tank, the sales brochure I believe said 18gallons and the dealer said 8 gallons. I called Airstream directly and they told me that they switched the black tank to 18 gals....another example with my '04 Safari (which I'm happy to say this was the only confusion) was the leather couch with the Safari upgrade package. It was told to me by the factory and by the dealer that the ultraleather couch was a special order. I got my '04 sales brochure in the mail and for those that have an '04 sales brochure, you can clearly see how they implied that the ultraleather couch was part of the Safari Upgrade Package or "LS" package. Again, another call to Airstream cleared it up.

The sales folks that sold me the Bambi told me the unit did not come with a fire extinguisher (even though it is an RVIA code). Again, a call to Airstream got it taken care of right away.

Problem is that when you buy something like an RV or a car, you expect to have some odds and ends, itís just a part of the process. I however did mention to the folks at Airstream that it would be helpful if the web were more accurate as most customers are several hours away from an "authorized" dealer and even then a fair number of dealers really are not up to snuff on the product line. Some have suggested that its because dealers sell many brands of RVs. My answer to that is simply that I was a sales person for a major national catalog reseller of computer equipment. I can think of few other areas where there might be more product knowledge to know, not to mention the rapid changes in technology. The reason I feel that the multiple brands issue is a cop out answer is that a good salesperson shows value, benefit, works with you, not against you. The salesperson also must have a good understanding of the product and when you come across an answer that you don't know, there is no shame to saying, "you know, I don't have that answer, but let me look into it when we're done and I'll get all the answers to the questions you have that I don't have answers to right now."

A good salesperson doesn't need to sell you anything........you come to them and they listen and help you fit a good to a need. A peddler is just that, someone out there looking out for numeral uno, who lives day-to-day and sale-to-sale. This person has no relationships with customers as their main goal is simply to push product.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
And sometimes as Eric pointed out you get conflicting information. A good example is factory delivery. I called in 2001 and asked that I be able to pick up my new Safari at the factory. I asked my dealer and he said no. I asked Airstream and they said yes. I told my dealer what Airstream said and they called, and Airstream said no. I wrote a letter to Airstream and got a response back from the sales director who noted that the person I had talked to was incorrect and that person was corrected in their stance on this issue.

As it ends up it all worked out great and based on how my dealer preps a new trailer, I'm glad I took delivery from him.

BTW, factory pickup was an option at one time but was discontinued a few years back, which was why there was some confusion from the customer service person I talked to.

I don't expect a sales person to know the answer to every question. Especially to folks like me who like to get into the insides. I remember asking my salesperson if the axle assembly on the Safari was the same as the Classic. He really didn't know and it took some research to parts to verify that it was.

As in any matter I respect those who may not know, and who state that fact but will research and get back to me. I had a boss who always felt every question deserved an immediate answer. I remember many a meeting where he tried to fathom a technical question only to give an answer that made me wince.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote