Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Suggestion!

Originally Posted by Aage View Post
How about staying over night in the dealer's lot, or at the least, in the nearest camping area? Then you can, at your leisure, run through a typical camping trip "in miniature".
We still do this when we have a new (different) Airstream. WHen we got our current Airstream last month, we "camped" in the FamCamp at Kirtland AFB for three nights, just 15 minutes from home!

Ken L
2007 Classic Limited 30 (Sold)
2007Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654, Affiliate NM Unit
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
A lot of good advise here, but just one other note, take several pictures of the hitch set-up. These will be helpful when hitching up.
happy trails

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Know Where We Learned the Most?

Attending a campout with other Airstream owners. They will be your best resource and the most helpful. And with your warranty in place, you will leave the campout with more information than you will ever obtain from the walk thru.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
clovis , California
The walk through

You are correct. you are over thinking it. The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming is a great resource and is basically a Good walk through in book form. Consider getting a copy before you pick up the unit. I would also suggest logging on to the forum for about 10 minutes a day. I pick up useful info almost every time. Don't worry... Be happy
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, our walk through was great, but you will never remember all of it. Since I have a mechanical back round and even worked on some RVs, but I never owned one, it was easy to do almost everything. It's basically a house on wheels and most things are similar to your house. The frame and wheels are similar to a car. The only real items of concern were: sewer hookups and procedure, awning set up, Hitch, and brake controller. We made a trip out of taking our trailer home. We spent about 10 days in our trailer on our way home.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island

You have been reading lots of great advice. The manual says to check the lug nuts after so many miles, unfortunately you don't have lug wrench. I didn't know this until I searched all over for it. You will also need a bottle jack or wheel ramp if you need to change a tire. Some type of wheel chuck to keep your trailer from rolling away after you disconnect it from the TV. It's all fun.
justretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Carencro , Louisiana
I Down loaded the manual for my unit at and went to all the mfg web sites and down loaded all the pdf's for all the systems.... now it is on my iPad all in iBooks ez now to search.....
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Something that I do on every setup, that is very useful for "next time" is to take some paint, and paint the link on the WD system that is supposed to go in the hook on the latchup arms. That way, anybody can "get it right" even after the trailer's been sitting for a month since the walk-through.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on spending the night at the dealer, or close by.

Also, get the name of the tech in the service department and have him on speed-dial for awhile. Until you have done everything a few times, and it takes a while to get to it all, things frequently just don't click.

Our first RV in 2002 was a 77 Barth, with no owner's manual. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers in campgrounds, we would still be out there somewhere figuring out how to get everything to work properly---and why some things didn't.

People would see us struggling with something really complicated, like---hooking up the fresh water----and walk up, offer to help and show us how to do it.

Fellow campers are always happy to share their knowledge and to help out a newbie or oldie if you get stuck with something.

Also, new learning curves are simply there, ya just gotta plan on it taking awhile to figure it all out. We have had our Interstate now 4 1/2 years, and just a few days ago realized how the window screens come out to clean.

Have fun!

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If you PM your email address to me I will send you the files I have for the power jack, water heater, and fridge if that helps.
John & Lisa
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Thanks for all the great info. I'm taking notes and making lists from a ton of different posts on the site. I also ordered a copy of the Newbie's guide today. Hopefully it shows up before this weekend so I can spend some time going through it before the walk thru.

Thanks again.
- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Birmingham , Alabama
Congrats on the new 'stream. My wife and I and our 2 young children started out last year with a 2010 FC. You and your family will have a blast creating AS memories!

Since bedding arrangements are a big consideration for families, one thing that comes to mind that you will want to make sure you consider during the delivery and walk through is have the dealer break the dinette down into the bedding position - making sure the table surface sits down flush and even. We had an issue with our FC, and I have read here where several other members have dealt with the same issue, in that somehow the dinette benches were not installed "square" and the table top would not fold down flat.

Hope things go well with the delivery. We'll be thinking about ya!

cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Picked her up yesterday!! It was very exciting. We made from San Antonio to Houston with no problems. The Tundra had no problems handling it More on how the walk thru went later. Here's a pic before we pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2265675337.png
Views:	78
Size:	781.1 KB
ID:	141772  
- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina

Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Picked her up yesterday!! It was very exciting. We made from San Antonio to Houston with no problems. The Tundra had no problems handling it More on how the walk thru went later. Here's a pic before we pulled out.
I am heading down to SC to see ours for the first time on Friday. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve. Glad all went well for you on the trip home. Our trip will be just over 300 miles. Though we are not purchasing from a dealer, we are planning on camping locally for a few nights and spending some time with the trailer before we hit the road. We are getting a '92 Excella 29' and know we will be changing tires, checking brakes, packing bearings etc. Thanks for posting the picture. I like looking at them, just in anticipation of seeing ours.

Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote