Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
2011 25' FB International
Lafayette , Louisiana
I Down loaded the manual for my unit at airstream.com and went to all the mfg web sites and down loaded all the pdf's for all the systems.... now it is on my iPad all in iBooks ez now to search.....
LaBigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something that I do on every setup, that is very useful for "next time" is to take some paint, and paint the link on the WD system that is supposed to go in the hook on the latchup arms. That way, anybody can "get it right" even after the trailer's been sitting for a month since the walk-through.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on spending the night at the dealer, or close by.

Also, get the name of the tech in the service department and have him on speed-dial for awhile. Until you have done everything a few times, and it takes a while to get to it all, things frequently just don't click.

Our first RV in 2002 was a 77 Barth, with no owner's manual. If it weren't for the kindness of strangers in campgrounds, we would still be out there somewhere figuring out how to get everything to work properly---and why some things didn't.

People would see us struggling with something really complicated, like---hooking up the fresh water----and walk up, offer to help and show us how to do it.

Fellow campers are always happy to share their knowledge and to help out a newbie or oldie if you get stuck with something.

Also, new learning curves are simply there, ya just gotta plan on it taking awhile to figure it all out. We have had our Interstate now 4 1/2 years, and just a few days ago realized how the window screens come out to clean.

Have fun!

Maggie
Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
If you PM your email address to me I will send you the files I have for the power jack, water heater, and fridge if that helps.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Thanks for all the great info. I'm taking notes and making lists from a ton of different posts on the site. I also ordered a copy of the Newbie's guide today. Hopefully it shows up before this weekend so I can spend some time going through it before the walk thru.

Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Ronnie,
Congrats on the new 'stream. My wife and I and our 2 young children started out last year with a 2010 FC. You and your family will have a blast creating AS memories!

Since bedding arrangements are a big consideration for families, one thing that comes to mind that you will want to make sure you consider during the delivery and walk through is have the dealer break the dinette down into the bedding position - making sure the table surface sits down flush and even. We had an issue with our FC, and I have read here where several other members have dealt with the same issue, in that somehow the dinette benches were not installed "square" and the table top would not fold down flat.

Hope things go well with the delivery. We'll be thinking about ya!

-Chris
cms4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Picked her up yesterday!! It was very exciting. We made from San Antonio to Houston with no problems. The Tundra had no problems handling it More on how the walk thru went later. Here's a pic before we pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2265675337.png
Views:	149
Size:	781.1 KB
ID:	141772  
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Asheville , North Carolina
Congratulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Picked her up yesterday!! It was very exciting. We made from San Antonio to Houston with no problems. The Tundra had no problems handling it More on how the walk thru went later. Here's a pic before we pulled out.
Congratulations.
I am heading down to SC to see ours for the first time on Friday. I am like a kid on Christmas Eve. Glad all went well for you on the trip home. Our trip will be just over 300 miles. Though we are not purchasing from a dealer, we are planning on camping locally for a few nights and spending some time with the trailer before we hit the road. We are getting a '92 Excella 29' and know we will be changing tires, checking brakes, packing bearings etc. Thanks for posting the picture. I like looking at them, just in anticipation of seeing ours.
Chillpoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great Now Join the Four Corners Unit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
and come camping with us!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
its a beauty. I have the same truck, if you want extra mirrors for towing , let me know. I found the easy ones and they work great.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc6452
its a beauty. I have the same truck, if you want extra mirrors for towing , let me know. I found the easy ones and they work great.
Yes, please. I've been trying to make up my mind on which mirrors. I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0671.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	396.7 KB
ID:	142016they have them at Wal mart. they look very cheep but they work great, easy to put on and take off. Look in the rv section at wally world. they have a suction cup and they run about $17-$20. Ill get the name for you.
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
It's so freaking beautiful...I can sorta see my '75 Tradewind if I squint and cross my eyes...
onemanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The frustrating thing for us was discovering a year later that some of the "standard" wiring and connections simply don't exist on our 2008 23D International. There is supposed to be a pair of wires behind the refrigerator to connect a solar panel to the DC bus bar. Nada. Nothing exists behind ours. We had to work out something different to recharge the batteries from our external solar panel.
The manual refers to an external cable TV connection in a gray box with an exterior cover somewhere outside the trailer. Nada. Nothing exists that we can find - not in the locations they mentioned, anyway.
So in our opinion the towing stuff people mention here is of course important - but these other items like wiring solar and cable TV should be brought to the attention at the factory, not after you've gone 5,000 miles down the road.