Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Tacoma Washington Inspector Needed!!

Hi--I've committed to buy a 1956 whale tail Flying Cloud, located in Poulsbo, WA. Apparently, the spring is separated from the axle/frame, and the seller says that the trailer would have to be flatbedded to my home in Vermont. I have possibly found someone to tow it, but would have to get the frame/spring, etc fixed before it could be towed. I'm presuming it would need new tires, bearings repacked, brakes checked, etc.

Is there anyone in that area who could do an inspection for me? I would certainly be happy to reimburse for travel/time, etc. Also, does anyone know of someone in the area who could do these repairs to make it roadworthy?

If it can't be towed, I will have to find a reliable trucker to flatbed it to Vermont.

Thanks for any info. My commitment to the seller is dependent on whether I can find a reasonable mode of transport to Vermont.

Gail
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Is the seller Stewart?

And does he live on Central Valley road?

If so, flatbed is probably the best answer.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I was looking at that trailer too (yes, Stewart).... flatbed would be best... I believe the rear portion of the frame was broken.. and the bumper / rear frame would drop (especially with that spare back there).

Wow, Vermont.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Well.....this doesn't sound good. I didn't understand that the frame was broken, just that the spring was detached from the frame. It sounds like maybe this is not a trailer that I should buy. Any suggestions, comments? Thanks for any information. Gail
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uhh... the trailer ad (and seller) both say it should be flatbedded... and that it's a project... holes in the floor, "frame gone"... what else did you have in mind?

If you had a redo in mind (and I can't picture anything else but), then I would go ahead and truck it home... I'd also talk to the seller... I do remember he played his cards close to his vest, and didn't really talk too much about the trailer... so it's a bit read between the lines in my opinion. All indications that it would be a total gut job with frame repair. Additional clues is that the rear corner is held up by the jack in the pics... and that the rear "dent" goes away when the jack is removed... frames shouldn't move that much by themselves.

I can't imagine that trucking that across the country (well, even towing it) would be that cheap...

Adding that to the repair bill just makes the cost higher.

Oh, I do like Evergreen RV (evergreenrv.com) in Shoreline, WA. I'd call them to see if they're up to the task of repair... it's about a 2 hr drive away from where the trailer is. You're going to be paying a hourly repair rate (at about $75.00 and up) anywhere you go.

My 2 cents
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote