Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
I would go for the 79! That 01 look's like just every other AS at the rally. That 79 will win best in show. I took my 66 to a Rat Rod and Vintage Car Show yesterday. I had more looker's then all of the 50k custom rods. Even was offed 15k to sell its. I said "It not for sale but thanks for the offer" Saying that when it comes to selling the 79 you will get all your $$ back and more. I don't think the 01 will do that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1272.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	195214

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0229.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	195215

Ace in Pa.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I don't know anything about the '01, so I can't give you any advise there. I've had a '76 & can tell you that it does have grey tanks (the '76 was only about 15 gallons, so you should ask the capacity of the '79) Also, ask if the underside of the trailer has ever been inspected or refurbished. With a trailer that age, sometimes the frame has rusted out areas that need attention. If it hasn't been torn into, you can walk around & give the banana wrap a good "spanking" (not enough to dent it of course) to see if there is any rust flakes rattling around in the banana wrap. This will tell you if the frame has any significant rust--at least at the outrigger area. Of the two, I love the look of the '79. You'll have a yearly polish job to keep it shiny, but if it's too much work, you can let it go to return to the "patina" of an older trailer. Good luck!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Dan...

I wasn't aware that I might need new axles for the '79 if they haven't been replaced. Why is that - and what is the cost?

Thanks,
Poppy
Old 09-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
OK... I'm a newbie, but there's no call to be lazy. I did a bit of research on axles and I'm relieved to know that the cost isn't too bad. My initial understanding is that they work quite a bit like torsion bars on old Porsches. With one major difference.

The internal torsion bars (the "springs") on Porsches are metal and they don't really wear out. But, if I have this right, the internal torsion bars on Airstreams are rubber, which do wear out, i.e. lose their rebound ability over time. Is that correct?

If it is correct, is it just assumed that the AS torsion bars have X amount of life and must be replaced every X years?

I did some reading about how to diagnose the condition of the axles, but I'm not really clear on it. Can someone explain it in terms that I might be able to understand?

Thanks,
Poppy

Edit: Found how to diagnose axle torsion failure. I'm finding that Andy is a treasure trove of information. Nice to see someone following Yoda's wisdom: "Give, then take."
Old 09-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Poppy,

It struck me that I think you need to decide if you want to buy a trailer that should be ready to go anywhere, or would you be happier with a project? $5K isn't much difference for the bigger interior, the should-still-be-reliable appliances, and the MUCH bigger water and waste tanks.

22 years is a lot in a trailer's life, even an Airstream. Will you like the '70s-look interior? No? Lot of work to change it out... Take a deep sniff when you first open the door on both trailers. It could give you a good idea of what's happening "under the skin".

So, talk it over with your SO and after looking at them both tomorrow, see which it is you really want, project or ready-to-go. The shiny exterior might look cool at the parks, but I bet it will be forgotten when you need to go outside to light the water heater in the rain, when the '01 will start with just the push of a button inside.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks Aage. Like most guys I'm like an old dog that could sleep just about anywhere. But my (wonderful) wife is more like a cat - she likes her comfort.

An old guy told me years ago:
"Son, keep your wife happy. If she's happy you got a chance of being happy. But if she ain't happy, you got no chance."

Poppy
Old 09-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It really depends on what the actual condition is. Polish and laminate floors don't mean anything. If you want a potential project get the 79. My 81 required a lot of work to get going again and it was in better shape than most. If you want something that requires less work to maintain and get operational the 01 might be better. Personally, I would go for the 01 since it is decades newer. I bought a trailer to camp not as a project but I got a project anyway. Check the condition of the floor in both trailers. Is the 79 a center or rear bath. A rear bath unit is much harder to repair and harder to see floor damage since it is covered by the bathroom.

Perry
Old 09-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Just paid the $20. I've started a number of forums and I know how much work they are. And this one has a great culture and tons of information. Best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time. Thanks to all.

Poppy

P.S. Now I just need to figure out Lili.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Perry...

The '79 is a rear bath. The previous owner spent the winters in it in Arizona. He passed away and after a year and a half it's being sold my his daughter. The PO polished it himself and from other things I've been told he appears to have been pretty handy. All of the polishing tools and many other extras come with it.

As you say, just as with vintage cars, condition is everything. I'll know a lot more by tomorrow night.

Poppy
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Poppy

The 79 might need some work. Check out the bathroom well. This is usually the first place they start to rot (rear wall floor). Let me just add my 2 cents here as well.. It really all depends upon what the PO has replaced on this 79 unit. I would take that into consideration, since there is certainly no guarantee that the 2001 will not need work in the near future, as well. More importantly, a trailer that is not used regularly is cause for a cautious approach.

thom
Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Thanks Thom. I'm really leaning toward the '01 after the sobering reality of this current thread. I have restored a number of vintage cars, I'm pretty hands on, I really enjoy the process - and the end result. But right now my wife and I just want to head out on our little adventure. And we would like to get out of Central Oregon before the snow flies.

Poppy
Old 09-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
What do you think of the '79 at $10-12K? I haven't been following prices long enough to have a feel. I know condition is everything. This one is nice and shiny and the owner says several things have been rebuilt and that everything works properly. And no signs of rust or corrosion around the rear where the bathroom is.

There is the time factor but it seems like an acquisition cost in this range might leave room for necessary work.

Thanks,
Poppy
Old 09-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #27

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
[QUOTE="
P.S. Now I just need to figure out Lili.[/QUOTE]

That'll never happen! Just read and enjoy

Jane
Old 09-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
What do you think of the '79 at $10-12K? I haven't been following prices long enough to have a feel. I know condition is everything. This one is nice and shiny
Probably closer to its real worth. That shine costs about $100 a foot to have done, or a lot of really filthy, messy hard work along with some fairly expensive tools to accomplish. Oh, and it needs to have at least part of that same work done annually.

As for the "partially rebuilt" part of the story still means most appliances will still need to be replaced. Look at it this way: would you consider keeping a 34-year-old water heater or furnace in your home?

But having said all that, you are clearly Jonesing for a project. Tell you what; buy both trailers! You could travel while you are still 70, and yet still tinker when you are at home. Maybe by your 75th birthday, you could either start using the '79, or sell it completely refurbed.