Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hockley , Texas

Hi, I'm new to the site because I have decided to sell my 1979 Argosy 7.3 Minuet. I received an email from a potential buyer but the wording reminds me of the craigslist scams. The potential buyer did say he would make payment through paypal. Sound familiar to anyone?

hbf442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
There are many PP scams. The most popular is someone working on an oil rig with limit internet access who wants to buy sight unseen.

If it does not feel right, pass.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If they aren't going to inspect the trailer in person I would be very wary. I typically deal in cash, possibly wire transfer. I have done escrow before too.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
There are people that do prefer to pay by Paypal. It can be a very secure way to transfer funds from one to another without disclosing any bank or personal information.... However make sure you log into the Paypal site by Googling the official Paypal site.....DO NOT click on a "Paypal" link on any e-mail supplied by the buyer no matter how official it looks.
Also if they wish to pay you more for the trailer and include the "shipping" fees which you are to forward onto the "shipping company" by a wire's a scam.

Above your gut instincts.
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
From what others have posted, with Paypal they can claim the trailer was never delivered and get Paypal to refund the money.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If the person makes you nervous in any way you should pass. To many things can go wrong using PayPal, I know this from personal experience.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
Scam artists

While we have bought and sold three AS trailers, I cannot stress enough the importance of you, the seller, to feel absolutely right about the whole transaction. Period. If it smells like a duck, it's a duck. Remember, cash is king.

Best of luck for a good sale.
Lucy749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I bought my AS trailer, sight unseen, while stationed overseas. It was an ebay purchase, and I used a combination of PayPal and wire transfer. The seller agreed to store it for me for an additional 16 months (I did pay him a nominal storage fee) until my return to the states. I was unsure what to do, but the PO worked with me. I almost walked away, but he sent me a few links to his identity (is a local 'person' in AZ), so I was satisfied. Point is, not everyone who wants to use PayPal is a scammer. If they have a way to satisfy you as to their identity, then maybe you can do business. If, however, you get any negative vibes at all, there is always another customer out there. Don't settle for the first offer.
AIR 57698, TAC NM-9.
PhilipKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
I prefer cash only, face to face. If the "offshore buyer" wants to send his "agent" to pick up a trailer he has bought sight-unseen, tell him to send cash with the "agent". Then he can buy it from you and do whatever the "offshore buyer" wants him to do with it!
"Surrender is not in our creed. Let me hear you say that..." Gunny Hiway
Max Well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
I am selling some parts on the classifieds for a friend. The email went something like the following. I deleted it immediately.

Is your ----- still for sale? I will send funds via PayPal. No need to worry yourself with shipping , I will arrange for pickup of said item.

It's a scam.
'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hockley , Texas
Thanks to everyone for your responses. NJtoNC hit the nail on the head. I'm talking to some "real" people about our cream puff, so all's good. Thanks again.
hbf442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Warning, Will Robinson!

Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
From what others have posted, with Paypal they can claim the trailer was never delivered and get Paypal to refund the money.
This is exactly why I would never accept payment for a serious amount like a trailer via PayPal. The payment is NOT secure, although most people would feel it is.

The buyer can at any point instruct PayPal to yank his money back, and if you read your PayPal agreement, you will find buried in it that you agreed to abide by their decision.

Don`t do it, that is one of the standard scams.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is online now   Reply With Quote