Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
Scam verbage?

This is a "too good to be true" 2012 International 28 on Craigslist.
Here is the latest from her:

"Hi Barry, I am glad to see you have a high interest. I have attached some pictures, I hope you will like it.

As I told you in my first email, after I lost my husband I moved to Omaha, NE for a new start. It is already a the shipping company in Omaha sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with eBay. The deal includes free delivery and the process takes 5-7 days. You are also granted a 5 days inspection period after receiving in which you should test drive and inspect it at your local mechanic or dealer to see it's exactly as I described it.

If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask eBay to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. eBay will contact you shortly after they have the details with all the confirmation that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller. If you would like to receive the email from eBay will all the transaction information please reply with your full name, shipping address and phone # and they will contact you right away."

Thank you, Carrie

(She sent great pics)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Scam verbage?

Cue the Monty Python "Spam" song, substituting "scam" everywhere appropriate.

Aside from the fact EBay doesn't work that way....

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Perfect scam example!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
This is exactly the same verbiage that was used for a boat i was looking for a few years back. Same story, husband died and I'm ready to move on. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
And it reads as though it was written in another language, and then translated to English.

The syntax is not quite right.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Take it for a test drive?

Ask what kind of mileage to expect, and if it runs on premium.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Your Scam, My Scam... still scams

Sounds like a wonderful Airstream... and sealed for shipping!

I have a check drawn on the California College of the Arts in San Francisco for $2,450.00. After contacting the California College... yes a counterfeit.

It was sent to me FedEx next day from Alexandria, Virginia... but picked up for delivery from Bradenton, Florida.

Local Police did not care. College did not care. The name on the Fed Ex form, when searched on Google, has numerous business names under a different name of Sindell, same telephone number as the shipper in Virginia. I printed out TWO PAGES... just for followup if any authority needed places to find these people.

This payment was for a technical petroleum geology book library. For professional geologists, not what kids at an orphanage would want to read... messages are taken word for word, punctuation, from several emails, which later were followed up with telephone calls for five or more days. They quit calling after a phony check would no doubt would have been returned.

I still hold the check, uncashed. This outfit from a through Google Search: Mortgages, Genealogy, Revenue, Global Programs Director, BizWiz, HotFrog, Mortgage Banking, Financial Planning, 4.5 Amazon Rating, PhD, Pro Bono Director, Financial Planning Association... and so on. Same woman's name and I have two pages of professional 'services' provided.

I NEVER responded and Caller ID of several telephone numbers and individuals leaving messages wanting their $450 overpayment. No mention ever of the 'books for orphans' as you will read at the end of this post.

... and nobody cares to even check them out. No wonder an Airstream will find some buyer that does not do their homework. Check them out through Google and I would guess Florida might come up on the search.

"Here is Orphanage & Shipping information where you will be sending the rest funds to: Stephanie Sh. Bradenton, Fl, 34207. Sincerely Yours, Julie little"

(Above: The first is where they want the $240 overpayment sent Western Union and to whom. I have a number of requests for the Western Union refund of the over payment wanted...)

"Thank you for your response and I am interested buying the books for helping orphanages children charity home and I will be paying your asking price and kindly take it off Craigs List and consider me as a serious buyer till you get the payment this week,a certified cashier check) will be issue out to you,do get back to me with your contact information so the payment can be issue and mail out to you asap.if you are seriously seller. Thanks, Sincerely Yours, Julie Little"

"Good morning Ray,
I have receive a notification that payment has been delivered to you through fed ex and here is the tracking # and amount is $2450, the payment was issue out to on excess funds.please get back to me and let me know if you got the payment and I will be looking forward toward your quickly response asap. Thanks, Regards, Julie Little"

"Greeting. Here is the tracking number via FedEx, I have been awaiting for you throughout Friday since the payment has been delivered to you, please get back to me so that I can give you shipper information.hopefully to toward your quickly response asap. Thanks, Regards Julie"