Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Shiny Drag-on
Currently Looking...
Drag-on , California
Save a penny

Today I spoke with Southwest Coaches, I wanted to see and purchase a 23’ International. I was told that they do not carry 23’D because the do not sell but they had two other 23’FBs. The first was Serenity with taupe and the second was an International with cilantro fabric. Neither unit was what I wanted. I told the sales person I was interested in a 23’ with dark interior and taupe fabric. No problem was the response. They would just order taupe cushions for the cilantro coach and switch tem out. I was then in formed that there was a fee for this, but he would see if he could get that fee waved.
It is clear to me that the Serenity and International cushions will be switched from one unit to another, I guess this is what they call a carrying fee. A fee I will not pay. I know this sounds silly but switching parts from one unit to another bothers me. Will this matter in the long run and is this common practice.
The unit is listed on the site for $64,279.00. When asked about price I was told, “we are carrying the show price on the 23FB at $58,324.00 + fees.” Here are the extra fees besides the “switching charge”, “all the fees, tax =orange co. residents, lic +395,00 pre-delivery service, propane, starter kit with sewer, water hoses, elect. Adapter and walk thru.
Are these fees reasonable or just to raise the profit line? It seems to me that with the exception of the propane all the rest should come with the new unit. Pre-delivery service and a walk thru shouldn’t that just be part of the sale.
Bottom line the way I figure and not including all the extra charges he has only offered me $6,000.00 discount or about 10%. I was thinking that besides license fees and registration, maybe propane the rest of the fees should be out. I was thinking that about 18% off was fair. Am I being over optimistic or is that fair. Any impute would be very welcome Thank you.

Shiny Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Airstream furnishes the sewer hose - it's crappy quality and too short - anyone who pays money for it is foolish. It'll get you through one or two camping trips, period. Switching upholstery? Well, it could make their remaining unit harder to sell, so they might have to actually order new covers for the set you don't take.

In this economy at the end of the camping season, 10% off isn't the greatest discount. I'd definitely push for more. Your 18% is where I'd try to get on a new unit

NOW, the real issue. It isn't the model you originally wanted.

Find a dealer who has the one you want IN STOCK and go look at it - You might become convinced the one this dealer has is actually better, or you may get reinforced on your original choice. You are contemplating spending a lot of money... and if you choose wrong, it'll cost more than most people are comfortable with to sell and buy again.

Before you buy new at all, check our own classifieds - your model may be available in a gently used condition... CHA-Ching.

Buy in haste, repent at leisure!

Happy hunting, and happy trails.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Yeah, to be clear... Hoses, Propane, adapters, starter kits etc are NOT part of what Airstream sells with a new trailer.. A dealer could choose to provide that stuff for free, or decline and sell it.. They are independent businesses. I too would agree that IF you are buying a brand new unit from a dealer and getting a 10% discount, you should absolutely get exactly what you want and make no compromises.. Once it depreciates as you drive it home, you don't want to start regretting the decisions to settle...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Shop around.

Hi, I looked at three Southern California dealers and I wasn't happy with any of them. I bought my trailer in Eugene, Oregon. And have been happily ever after. YMMV.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
2008 22' Safari
springfield , oregon
We bought ours at Sutton in Eugene, also... and we're lucky to be nearby for service, too!
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive" - Bruce Springsteen
leopattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
wow 60k for a 23 ft trailer?is this because of the price of alluminum?i dont see the market today for this,and i would think the dealers would have to offer a deep discount to move these units.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
$60,000+ for a 23'. By the time you pay the taxes and license fees you are looking at $3,000 per foot of trailer. When the tires hit the curb you will lose at least $500.00 per foot.
Let's say you are going to keep the unit for 15 years, that's $4,000 a year. Not to mention the cost of financing if needed.
Most new SOB's cost around $1,100 per foot. You could have a new unit every 5 years for the same money.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Originally Posted by Shiny Dragon View Post
.....Here are the extra fees besides the “switching charge”, “all the fees, tax =orange co. residents, lic +395,00 pre-delivery service, propane, starter kit with sewer, water hoses, elect. Adapter and walk thru. .....
I would run from any dealer who wants to charge for the walk through. This coach will be under guarantee and it will benefit the dealer if they explain the functions of the trailer before it goes out the door. To charge for this is a clear example of gouging the customer IMO.

You can always expect people to advise that you are paying too much (regardless of the price) and that you need to look elsewhere. The price thing is a personal issue in my eyes but getting tangled up with a gouging dealer is another thing. Imagine what he will try to do to you every time you bring it in for servicing. Since this is a large investment, my advice would be to look around and yes, take a trip to Eugene, OR.

When dealing for a price, your strongest position will be patience. Tell them what you want and then walk away. Let them know you might be back but that you need to "think" it over. Watch them react and let them ask the questions. It can actually be fun if you are not too emotionally involved.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I do the new trailer check-ins here and I can tell you what's included from the factory:

Trailer (duh!)
LP bottles (empty) and cover
Tongue jack base
Water filter (if equipped)
Wrench for stabilizers
Override wrench for tongue jack
Awning pull handle
Sewer adapter
Shore power cord
Silverware drawer insert
Owner's bag with manuals and spare keys
Shelves and rcks for oven/microwave, and fridge.
Any other "goodies" are dealer-supplied.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote