Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
The only other trailer that tracked better than our 23 foot Safari LS was a 6 foot U Haul. The U Haul cost a lot less to rent in the short run, but lacked the windows. Both had aluminum construction. Parked side by side I can tell the difference. Towing, I would have to look in the rear view mirror.

Seriously. Without water tank filled, easy effortless tow for the 2006 Tundra. With water tank full in a Wyoming head wind, very stable and you will experience less vacuum tug when an 18 wheeler passes you with the wind on their side. I keep my stabilizer handy, and have used it only once in a strong Wyoming cross wind on I-80. That was my first trip towing anything bigger than a U Haul trailer, last year. When the winds are "brisk" I top the 30 gallon water tank off. When there are minimal winds on a long drive from point A to B, no water until I am in my general area for rockdocking.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
bend , Oregon
I would be wondering who is feeling threatened by the Airstream....and what person greased their palm....and even if it was true >>>>I am not sure that would stop me from buying one.. and by the way I just did...the '07 Saf 25' SS SE L- lounge...I find it hard to believe that after all these years ...Airstream suddenly had a brain fart in their design! and honestly if the wheels fall off mine I will buy a flat bed trailer and set it on top...the only other trailer I have considered was the Bigfoot...well made etc...but that was very short lived....memory lane never apeared while I was in it....nor do I care for the interior furnishings... So I stand strong with those who defend the airstream.....
shelly brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
A great way to compare is to spend a day at a mega RV show. We did just that. It was so big they had trams to haul you around. Food concessions and bands. We looked at all the travel trailers. Right there where you could directly compare. When all was said and done we kept coming back to the AS's. They were so much better built, and, classier.
I too had purchased the RV guide. Look at some of the units they rated at or above AS. You will be baffled at the guide's conclusions.
Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Cannot recommend RV Consumer Group publications

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
hi mjbear...
explore a little more deeply...
1. who
2. what
is the rvcg. my conclusion, their data is less than useless, but exactly what might be expected. after understanding #1 and #2.
no need to spend ANY money at their website either...
Wish I had read this first. I spent the $85 for the latest "Towable Rating Reports (2011-2019) plus 3 Best-Selling Books PLUS". I found the information of no value to me. When stated my displeasure, Andy said
"Gus - first of all, in Towables we rate the Brands (such as the entire Escape brand). As a technician, which you appear to be, you should have looked at the entire Sample Report and you'd have noticed the Length is a size range and we give averages for the series, which is the way that RV manufacturers have switched to (series).
We never apologize for our product or services because we are not ashamed of the information we provide. We regret you are not a happy camper but we certainly hope you take some of our advice in our publications."

As previously described before, I cannot recommend this RVCG product to anyone.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
At least you are not alone. I forked over my hard-earned dough for their ratings in 2004. They really had, and apparently still have, nothing good to say about Airstreams.

Fortunately, when I was shopping I met a really great guy up in Ocala that had been working on Airstreams forever. He explained the benefits of the Airstream's aerodynamics and the torsion axles, low center of gravity and the durability of all aluminum construction.

I tossed the RVCG books, bought my old Sovereign and 80000 miles plus later, it is still providing adventures.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
MJBear,

The Airstream is excellent design, very comfortable, and easy to travel with. At the moment we own two and are extremely happy. I wouldn't be comfortable towing any other brand in a similar size with our current setup of an F150.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote