Old 05-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Classic 30
Sum Wear , Ohio
I agree with Cammur. A couple years ago, I decided to buy the RVCG CD as a tool to help me. After all, I knew zip about RVs then and thought this would be a good place to start. Its cost was insignificant compared to the cost of even a cheap used RV. I looked at many of the RVs he rated highly, and their build quality was heads and shoulders above other brands I had looked at. Yes, even Airstream. The only thing I didn't like about them was their weight. 2000 pounds heavier then a similar sized Airstream. I’m sure the weight and cargo capacities influences his towing rating.

If someone as information pointing to RVCG being biased or influenced by RV companies, please tell me. Lets put our brand loyalty aside for a moment. If they are scammers, I would like to know and do something about it.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
glad to hear

Thanks for responses, I'm glad to know that Airstreams tow the way they look they would... I don't think the rvc info is a scam, I just think it is based on the limited info the manufacturer shares and that could be True or false as well. I think the rvc group does a great job in educating the public. I think their info on motorhomes is great with concern for chasis length and overloading, poor balance etc. The tow vehicle info is valuable and seems to concur with most of you. Maybe they don't have enough info to really rate the trailers. It seems true that the highly rated trailers are big heavy boxes and so the ratings do not take into account air resistance which has to be one of the most important factors in towing a trailer. We have had box trailers that swayed, wobbled and bounced. We had motorhomes that were ok but we probably overloaded them with 3 kids and stuff. Our easiest tow was our little Casita, nice and rounded and egg shaped. So we do appreciate the rounded streamline of the Airstream and will continue to pursue it as our first choice. At this point in life we want to be surrounded by good design, be comfortable and travel with ease -Does that sound like an Airstream?

MJBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
No Problem Towing 25' FB SE

We just completed a 4800 mile excursion of the southwest towing our 25' FB SE.
My TV is an F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Turbo Diesel.

There was absolutly no problems what-so-ever. It towed as well as the Coleman pop-up I used to own. When towing from Williams, AZ to the Grand Canyon we had very high cross-winds. A ranger at GC said that gusts were recorded as high as 59 mph. This posed no problem at all, even when passing monster motor homes from the opposite direction. I noticed only a very slight movement on occasion but, nothing that I wouldn't have experienced without the trailer.

Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
RV Consumer group ratings...

Have read them before and take 'em with a grain of salt. Always thought they were among the same folks who sponser RV shows around this region... always noticed Airstream left out. Seems the SOB manufacturers don't like the competition. Seems Airstream doesn't have the dealer network muscle to show their stuff at these expos. Too bd, here in Austin, a good dealership show at one would most definitly "Wow" the audience.

Airstream is the sister that the slippers fit!
Jaxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
If you study the basis for the ratings by the RVCG I believe that you'll find that the number one reason the Airstream rates so low is because of their CCG or "cargo carrying capacity." That, and nothing more. I believe that their thinking is that the trailer can be overloaded, or improperly loaded, too easily - which is, in itself, a fact. An Airstream trailer is not designed, or intended, to be used as a cargo trailer - unlike the vast majority of SOBs. Over the years, many thousands of Airstream owners have been able to get along just fine with the available CCG - but overload it and you'll wreck it! There are 30' conventional SOB trailers out there that boast of having a capacity in excess of 4000 lbs and, as for 5th-wheel trailers, the sky is often the limit. An Airstream, when properly loaded and matched to it's tow vehicle, is nothing but a pure joy to tow - whereas many of the SOB rigs compare favorably to underpowered, overloaded, poorly balanced, non-aerodynamic, commercial tractor-trailer rigs. Did I offend anyone???

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Keep're doing GREAT!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
The only other trailer that tracked better than our 23 foot Safari LS was a 6 foot U Haul. The U Haul cost a lot less to rent in the short run, but lacked the windows. Both had aluminum construction. Parked side by side I can tell the difference. Towing, I would have to look in the rear view mirror.

Seriously. Without water tank filled, easy effortless tow for the 2006 Tundra. With water tank full in a Wyoming head wind, very stable and you will experience less vacuum tug when an 18 wheeler passes you with the wind on their side. I keep my stabilizer handy, and have used it only once in a strong Wyoming cross wind on I-80. That was my first trip towing anything bigger than a U Haul trailer, last year. When the winds are "brisk" I top the 30 gallon water tank off. When there are minimal winds on a long drive from point A to B, no water until I am in my general area for rockdocking.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari SS SE
bend , Oregon
I would be wondering who is feeling threatened by the Airstream....and what person greased their palm....and even if it was true >>>>I am not sure that would stop me from buying one.. and by the way I just did...the '07 Saf 25' SS SE L- lounge...I find it hard to believe that after all these years ...Airstream suddenly had a brain fart in their design! and honestly if the wheels fall off mine I will buy a flat bed trailer and set it on top...the only other trailer I have considered was the Bigfoot...well made etc...but that was very short lived....memory lane never apeared while I was in it....nor do I care for the interior furnishings... So I stand strong with those who defend the airstream.....
shelly brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 AM   #23
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
A great way to compare is to spend a day at a mega RV show. We did just that. It was so big they had trams to haul you around. Food concessions and bands. We looked at all the travel trailers. Right there where you could directly compare. When all was said and done we kept coming back to the AS's. They were so much better built, and, classier.
I too had purchased the RV guide. Look at some of the units they rated at or above AS. You will be baffled at the guide's conclusions.

henw is offline   Reply With Quote