Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
So an update... in hope of not saying "why didn't I do this ten years earlier"... I made a deal. Gave a deposit. Done deal! I decided that Illinois was simply too far away to make the deal work under my circumstances without a proper total vehicle. I ended up buying a 2018 model, so a year newer and my price is $45,600 so $600 more than the 2017, BUT that includes delivery to my house. They are literally going to bring it to me! I am beyond thrilled with the price as well as the fact that I don't have to figure out how to get this back on my own as a first timer. I will be able to gently ease into learning the ropes.

I am super excited and so is my son who has been by my side through all the ups and downs and looking, going here and there and everywhere looking at campers.

I love my sales man at Haydocy airstream in Columbus Ohio (660 miles from me, rather than 1120 of Chicago airstream). He is going to take a full walk-through video showing me everything and how to do operational stuff. So that eases my mind that I cannot be there.

Thank you all!
Hi

That sounds like a *much* better solution !!! Congratulations.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:24 AM   #22
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Sounds like a good plan. Especially avoiding the towing issue at this point.

I'm also glad to hear that you decided to get your AS. I am one of those who also said, "I wish we would have done this 10 years ago!"

Did you order the 22 Sport?

Congrats!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Especially avoiding the towing issue at this point.

I'm also glad to hear that you decided to get your AS. I am one of those who also said, "I wish we would have done this 10 years ago!"

Did you order the 22 Sport?

Congrats!

Hi! Yes I got the sport 22, model year 2018. So excited! Thank you very much for your well wishes. Let the adventures begin!
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Consider doing a "hybrid" delivery solution... fly or drive to Haydocy when the trailer is delivered to them. Stay a night in it in their parking lot, use all the systems, do the walkthrough in-person with your salesman (or their orientation person, if they have someone dedicated to that) so you'll both have a hands-on intro to the trailer and have the chance to see if there are any items you need them to address before bringing you the trailer. Once you're happy with the trailer and its condition, they can deliver it to you on their schedule.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Consider doing a "hybrid" delivery solution... fly or drive to Haydocy when the trailer is delivered to them. Stay a night in it in their parking lot, use all the systems, do the walkthrough in-person with your salesman (or their orientation person, if they have someone dedicated to that) so you'll both have a hands-on intro to the trailer and have the chance to see if there are any items you need them to address before bringing you the trailer. Once you're happy with the trailer and its condition, they can deliver it to you on their schedule.

Oh my gosh! This is what I love about this site. That did not occur to me… I could simply drive out there and my regular old car and do the walk-through with them, deliver the check in person, makes so much sense. I drove out to Cincinnati last fall to watch game five of the patriots… I don't think it's probably much more driving than that. And that was nothing.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Wonderful! What great news! Congrats!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Oh my gosh! This is what I love about this site. That did not occur to me… I could simply drive out there and my regular old car and do the walk-through with them, deliver the check in person, makes so much sense. I drove out to Cincinnati last fall to watch game five of the patriots… I don't think it's probably much more driving than that. And that was nothing.
Hi

If you drive over in person, try to take along a second pair of eyes. The orientation process is a "sensory overload" sort of thing. You can reduce this a bit by watching all the videos. It's still a massive amount of information to get in a couple of hours.

It was suggested to us that we video the whole thing. That turned out to be impractical, we both were to focused on the presentation. Some sort of action camera on a head mount might have worked. A hand held cell phone did not work for us.

Even with the orientation, there still will be questions that come up. That's what this forum is great for. If you only retain 80% of the information, that's pretty normal. You have the written manuals, lots of posts here, YouTube videos, and forum questions to back it all up.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
I am so excited for you! We bought ours as a knee jerk to seeing it and then 'I gotta have it' - but I sure felt your anguish reading this thread. I am a woman who travels alone when my hubbie can't join me, and I love it! If there is any way you can take the hybrid solution to your purchase, go for it. It will be a great start to your relationship with your new love. Many happy miles to you and your family!
Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Congratulations on the order! Assume you are familiar with Patrick's walk-through videos of most models, incl. this 22FB Sport?

There are other videos of similar 22' models.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
Good deal

I didnt read through everyone's reply... but I do think, as someone who sells Airstreams in CA, that you got a very good deal. Not a lot of money left on the table at all. Also the 22 Sport is probably one of the most popular models... it's a great first Airstream. I'm sure you're going to love it!! Start patting yourself on the back for making the decision and start enjoying your adventure!!
Santa Margarita, CA
works at SkyRiver Airstream Paso Robles
www.facebook.com/CentralCoastAirstream/
www.facebook.com/AirstreamSB/
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I submit that you would be wise to also consider the pronounced tendency of people to comment much more often and much more loudly about any negative experience (their own experience AND those of others) than a positive one, and to consider the number of people who own newish Airstreams for whom the sky has not fallen. It is also often useful to consider the signal-to-noise ratio of your sources of information and concern, we all have our particular perspectives on things.

I speak for no one but myself. There were a few minor issues with my Flying Cloud when I inspected it at Colonial, and they were address to my satisfaction promptly. Specifically, there were some handprints on the ceiling apparently from the installation of the LED puck lights, the support strut for the bumper trunk didn't work smoothly, and the LED light strip under the awning was pulled away from the awning guard, which allowed it to be damaged a bit when the awning was operated. Frankly if the house I had built to my specifications for significantly more than 2x the cost of my Flying Cloud had started with a punchlist that short I would've been delighted. I don't mean to suggest that no one has had a worse experience than I have, I simply offer a single datapoint for my ACTUAL experience.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
I second DKB_SATX. You'll hear from way more people with problems because they're on the forums looking for solutions. For those who have no problems, they generally don't post "everything's fine, what do I do now?"

My husband & I bought our 2016 27fb a year ago and have had zero leaks. We did have to replace the gas regulator (bought new one locally and AS sent me a check for the cost). Also, one Fantastic fan moisture sensor refused to work at first, but apparently changed its mind a few days later and has been fine ever since. Hubby also repositioned a few misplaced screws on the dinette bench underpinnings - they work better if they're actually screwed into something.

Otherwise, smooth sailing for several thousand miles.

Now, compare that to our last SOB (also bought new), well, it was a race to keep replacing faucets/drawers/mattress/etc. with stuff that actually worked.

Enjoy your new Airstream. You did good.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I agree, plenty of issues and quality complaints, but just as many happy campers. We bought 2017 23D in dec16. I've done many mods already and found some subpar work and cleanup. But all in all it has been good. Remember you have a two year warranty. Mine goes in to the dealer in a few weeks to fix the door and the awning. They work, but not perfect for me, so back in the shop and it will be fixed. I'm a first timer and would do it again all over. We love it.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I agree, plenty of issues and quality complaints, but just as many happy campers. We bought 2017 23D in dec16. I've done many mods already and found some subpar work and cleanup. But all in all it has been good. Remember you have a two year warranty. Mine goes in to the dealer in a few weeks to fix the door and the awning. They work, but not perfect for me, so back in the shop and it will be fixed. I'm a first timer and would do it again all over. We love it.

So glad to hear you love your AS! And also that you (like me) are a first timer!!

Yesterday I spoke to airstream of Chicago about getting my deposit back (they were incredibly nice about everything and it was regrettable to back out with them but very much the right thing for me to do)... I mentioned to the manager about them being so far away if I had to bring it in for service -- he said that airstream pays their dealers a 30% premium for work done on trailers that were NOT purchased there and that it is expressly prohibited to deny service to someone who bought elsewhere. I thought that was interesting and another piece of the puzzle falling into place as if I have serviceable warranty items it will be worlds easier to take it in locally.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittycatcat View Post
I second DKB_SATX. You'll hear from way more people with problems because they're on the forums looking for solutions. For those who have no problems, they generally don't post "everything's fine, what do I do now?"

My husband & I bought our 2016 27fb a year ago and have had zero leaks. We did have to replace the gas regulator (bought new one locally and AS sent me a check for the cost). Also, one Fantastic fan moisture sensor refused to work at first, but apparently changed its mind a few days later and has been fine ever since. Hubby also repositioned a few misplaced screws on the dinette bench underpinnings - they work better if they're actually screwed into something.

Otherwise, smooth sailing for several thousand miles.

Now, compare that to our last SOB (also bought new), well, it was a race to keep replacing faucets/drawers/mattress/etc. with stuff that actually worked.

Enjoy your new Airstream. You did good.

Hi kittycatcat- I totally get what you mean that you'll find more complaints on the forums... just human nature to rant /seek help when there's an issue vs. when there is smooth sailing.

Can I ask?... how did you know the gas regulator needed replacing? I worry that not bring mechanically inclined I will miss that sort of thing...
Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
I submit that you would be wise to also consider the pronounced tendency of people to comment much more often and much more loudly about any negative experience (their own experience AND those of others) than a positive one, and to consider the number of people who own newish Airstreams for whom the sky has not fallen. It is also often useful to consider the signal-to-noise ratio of your sources of information and concern, we all have our particular perspectives on things.

I speak for no one but myself. There were a few minor issues with my Flying Cloud when I inspected it at Colonial, and they were address to my satisfaction promptly. Specifically, there were some handprints on the ceiling apparently from the installation of the LED puck lights, the support strut for the bumper trunk didn't work smoothly, and the LED light strip under the awning was pulled away from the awning guard, which allowed it to be damaged a bit when the awning was operated. Frankly if the house I had built to my specifications for significantly more than 2x the cost of my Flying Cloud had started with a punchlist that short I would've been delighted. I don't mean to suggest that no one has had a worse experience than I have, I simply offer a single datapoint for my ACTUAL experience.

Thank you very much for the positive counter point... I guess the take away from all of this is to be vigilant to detect whatever issues come up while under warranty (honestly for me, being a first timer I'm glad I'm buying new, less wonder and worry about what can go wrong and how much $$ it will cost me to fix it).

It does sound like airstream should evaluate their process with an eye of maintaining (or improving) build quality. I spoke to my sales person at Haydocy about some of the things I'd learned on here... including AS workers leaving candy bar wrappers inside the unit (obviously an easy fix for the new owner BUT imo, this is such a terrible example of apathy and disrespect and so easy to NOT do this. The sales person said vehemently that he has never seen this. I asked him when he was going through and checking everything to pleeaassee treat it like a unit that was going to his mom (or grandma but I don't think I'm that old or he's that young). Anyway that was before the "hybrid solution" was out on the table which I think makes enormous sense.

Thank you again, most esoecially for your encouragement and positivity!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:47 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbelle View Post
I didnt read through everyone's reply... but I do think, as someone who sells Airstreams in CA, that you got a very good deal. Not a lot of money left on the table at all. Also the 22 Sport is probably one of the most popular models... it's a great first Airstream. I'm sure you're going to love it!! Start patting yourself on the back for making the decision and start enjoying your adventure!!

Thank you Ellenbelle! I am super excited... I've thought about this for years but when I finally made the decision it felt a little impulsive. I have a bit of a learning curve ahead but so looking forward to the adventures!! I'm glad you think I did well on the price. His first quote was $45600 plus delivery - I asked if he could do a bit better and his second quote was to include the delivery and I was very very happy about that.

Thank you again.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Congratulations on the order! Assume you are familiar with Patrick's walk-through videos of most models, incl. this 22FB Sport?

There are other videos of similar 22' models.

Happy Trails!

Peter

Thank you Peter... yes, I watched Patrick's videos! He does an amazing job. Thank you for the link!!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKIESER View Post
I am so excited for you! We bought ours as a knee jerk to seeing it and then 'I gotta have it' - but I sure felt your anguish reading this thread. I am a woman who travels alone when my hubbie can't join me, and I love it! If there is any way you can take the hybrid solution to your purchase, go for it. It will be a great start to your relationship with your new love. Many happy miles to you and your family!

Thank you so much!!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Quote:
Hi kittycatcat- I totally get what you mean that you'll find more complaints on the forums... just human nature to rant /seek help when there's an issue vs. when there is smooth sailing.

Can I ask?... how did you know the gas regulator needed replacing? I worry that not bring mechanically inclined I will miss that sort of thing...
Actually this one was hard NOT to miss. LOL - the gas appliances wouldn't work, no hissing, nothing, so knew gas wasn't getting to appliances. They were working at the dealer and on our 1-night local shakedown cruise, but then right before longer trip, went to switch on refrigerator to propane, checked stove burner, bam, nothing.

Turns out a bit of research showed that the regulator that came on our trailer was recalled (thank you dealer for not telling us ) - borrowed the old one from our old SOB that we hadn't sold yet, went on trip, came back, bought new regulator so SOB could have the old one back. Called the company that made the regulator, just got a bunch of lies and empty promises of delivering replacement. Called Airstream and got a reimbursement check.

It's not a difficult install - and any mechanic (or handy spouse), not necessarily AS, can do it.

Also, when something stops working, and you're not sure why or what to do, just get it checked by someone - mechanic, handy friend, any knowledgable person. Often, it's a process of elimination - try the simple fix (in this case regulator), if that works, yay. If not, move on to each next step - you don't have to (and can't be) an expert in everything, so don't sweat it.

You will learn, and people are always willing to help out - many people at campgrounds are especially good about that sort of thing, they're great neighbors!
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote