Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.
The refundable deposit was for the old dealer in Chicago -- see OP.

The new dealer is in Ohio, I believe.

The discussion has taken some turns in the road, similar to a good camping trip, but has always ended up heading back toward the original destination.

No worries . . .

PS -- AirUSN, welcome to the forum! Have you checked the classifieds here for a used AS near you? [See tab at the top of the page.] We almost bought one that way years ago, but a dealer put a new prior-year model on sale, so we grabbed it. Similarly, the 2018 models are starting to come out, so the 2017 models might be lower in price soon IMO. Good luck!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #82
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Well... the SUBJECT of THIS thread IS... about a (refundable) DEPOSIT.
Hi

... and it seems that specific deposit was refunded a few pages back.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #83
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

Agree. I was kinda being cheeky with "back in topic" remark given the topic had a little trailer sway going on.

I've been looking at classifieds for sure. Thanks for the reminder.

I noticed last a night dealer had one posted as a demo. (Not on the classified on the dealer site). I was reviewing the various dealer references above and stalking their inventory.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
I wrote another email to the salesman yesterday expecting he would get it today and respond accordingly. I expressed my dissatisfaction with his lack of follow through and lack of communication.

As you might suspect, I never heard from him. I just called the manager and canceled the sale. He was gracious about it. I'm equal parts bereft and relieved.

If this thread did anything, it opened my eyes to how to go about this the right way. It would have been easier if it were meant to be.

Thank you all. Your advice will guide me to do things in a more thoughtful (and successful) way in the future.

All of this fuels me to get an AS but work out TV and other details first.
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear, and I can relate to your disappointment!

When one door closes, another opens . . .

Personally I would recommend contacting Colonial Airstream and make the trip there. The new model year is out, so earlier models may be well priced. Patrick Botticelli has been helpful in the past FWIW.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Bonita Springs , Florida
Found a new site today - you may already be aware if it.

rtv.com
AirUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #87
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
When it's time, it will be time. Meanwhile, keep your eyes peeled for a gently-used trailer in your size / condition / price range. If you move quickly and carefully enough, avoiding any potential scams, you might be able to score a hit.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Rocinante, I will most assuredly do that...And now with a better understanding of the process. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:25 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
hi AirUSN, Thanks for the tip... I tried the website and didn't find anything. Could you provide a link? Thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit... My summer is taking a bit of a turn compared to what I thought it would be but I do believe what you said "when one door closes, another opens..." I think living in a climate like New England where the weather comes and you blink, it is gone, that I should have started searching with such determination far earlier than June. Now I know. I am happy to have found so many helpful and friendly people here on air forums, so that is a silver lining to this whole sorted matter. :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Good luck Reverie!!! It will work out when the time is right. Don't rush it, let it come to you. That's what we did. A twist here, a turn there, then it works out and you pull the trigger. I think you did the right thing, I know it feels bad but your guy was telling you it wasn't time. Keep researching and learning.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
hi Peter,
In the end, I think Colonial will be a better way to go for me OR a gently used, reasonably priced unit.
Just FYI... we got what I think was a good deal on our AS from Colonial in December. I suspect that's an off month for them, unless lots of people get Airstreams for Christmas.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

From what I've seen, the whole idea that "this dealer has the best prices" is only true on a given day and a specific trailer. They all seem to be willing to get within 2% or so of each other on a "typical" deal. Inventory does vary day to day, so who has what is a variable. Does delivery from afar cost more than 2%? Maybe not, but it does eat into any savings. With most dealers, you will only see the "good price" once you have decided on a specific trailer / car / truck. That's just part of the process. There are some very sound reasons they operate this way.

You *can* get service just about anywhere. You are likely to do a bit better at the dealer that sold you the trailer / car / truck. If nothing else, you will know more people there (to appeal to) when you hit a snag.

Recognize the difference between "shopping mode" and "buying mode". You may shop for something for years. It's what lets you narrow down to a specific item. No commitments in shopping mode. In buying mode, you want everything to go quickly. That might still be months on a special order. It might be a week or less on a stock or used trailer. (inventory goes quick).

Lots of fun !!

Bob
Old 07-07-2017, 06:25 AM   #94

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
When you live afar from any dealership, shopping price is always a good option. However if you have a more local dealership available understand that a local purchase may have its advantages. One of the things is that when obtaining service, a dealer knows if you bought the trailer from them. That speaks volumes when attempting to schedule repairs, costs of parts and accessories, and dealer involvement with Jackson Center with warranty issues. That relationship with that local dealer may come into play over the years of ownership, from giving you discounts and service preference when things break, to their knowledge of you as a customer and the condition of your trailer at trade in time. Those are all "after the sale benefits" that accrue over time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
AirUSN wrote: "I'm looking at a 2007 Safari 25FB twin; but also finding out on here the problem points as well. Rethinking used vs. old. ($25500). Yesterday the sales person wanted me to put a deposit, (I'm back on topic) saying they would match my deposit up to $500. I didn't take the bait.

He did quote a for a '17 FC 27FB $93903 down to 77900."

I suggest you offer to place a 50% - down deposit. (Oh..wait... they'll only go up to $500 .... darn!)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #96
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob
Old 07-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I've noticed that a "deposit" is often a very elastic amount. I've also noticed over the years that deposit checks in many cases are not put in the bank until the sale takes place.

It's a strange world out there ....

Bob

When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #98
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
When I called Ohio to get my deposit back I learned they had never even swiped my credit card!
Hi

That's pretty typical. The "deposit" is actually just part of the negotiation process.

Bob
Old 07-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Refundable deposit on a Sport 22... nervous, many questions....

Psychological technique to make you feel locked into completing a deal...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
It also shows if the customer is serious about buying.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote