Old 07-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wayland , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
That is so exciting! I think you might have got the 2016 that I called Colonial about!! I will send you an email so we can keep in touch. I think mine won't get here until after the 4th. And the one in Nashua, I saw that one too but it was sold a month ago and they didn't update their website.

So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!
Thank you. I will look for the email.

jsfranchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
So.... why would a selling-dealer want to perform warranty-work on a unit he sold.... when he could make 30% MORE on one he didn't. Sounds like salesman-B.S. to me.

If I were buying NEW... I'd buy from either Colonial (NJ) or Foley (AL). Both those dealers have wonderful reviews from their many, REPEAT customers.

RR...(reverie room)... I think you should contact Good Sam for insurance...or perhaps RV America... which are both RV-specific organizations. Also, you might make certain your delivery service is insured and insist that the sale is not final until it's in YOUR possession at your place.

Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Quote:
Stremn... so glad to know that. It is sort of what I figured... was thinking the trip to NJ seemed like a good idea. Is that what you tend to do?
We ended up picking up a lightly used one owner trailer. After our "experience' with Nashua we'd never go back there. With that said our unit is not under warranty being a 2008.

In general any "good" RV Mechanic/Tech can repair the systems in an AirStream. We've taken to repairs and general maintenance ourselves. If a major issue comes along we'll source other "reliable" vendors.

During our search for the "right" trailer we traveled to NY, NJ and FL. This was mostly educational for us. If we were going to make a purchase again I'd definitely go back to NJ.
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Warranty Work-Check Up

Quote:
That is so exciting! I think you might have got the 2016 that I called Colonial about!! I will send you an email so we can keep in touch. I think mine won't get here until after the 4th. And the one in Nashua, I saw that one too but it was sold a month ago and they didn't update their website.

So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!
Picked up the trailer near Medford Oregon and did some traveling about for a week or two. Had some work done in Portland that needed to be done after spending the week shaking it up. Took off for California (my home) noticed some more items that needed to be done and started a list.

The most difficult part about the process was finding a dealer/service department that an open appointment at this time of year. Found dealer in New Mexico and decided to run with it as we were headed there anyhow. Arrived at dealer in NM and they took care of all the items. After some more time on the road there are more repairs and fine tuning of warranty items to be done. Was able to make an appointment in Denver and / or Salt Lake City in late July.

So far so good with all the dealers / service centers. Will stop in Denver or Salt Lake on the way back to California. Also, AS suggests a 5k check up. Will have that done as well.

On the road since March...

Best,

Scott
Wolfie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
So.... why would a selling-dealer want to perform warranty-work on a unit he sold.... when he could make 30% MORE on one he didn't. Sounds like salesman-B.S. to me.

If I were buying NEW... I'd buy from either Colonial (NJ) or Foley (AL). Both those dealers have wonderful reviews from their many, REPEAT customers.

RR...(reverie room)... I think you should contact Good Sam for insurance...or perhaps RV America... which are both RV-specific organizations. Also, you might make certain your delivery service is insured and insist that the sale is not final until it's in YOUR possession at your place.

I guess one really has to wonder about that 30% premium... I hate to think (and tend not to believe) that someone would lie directly to me. I hope that's not the case but I see what you mean... it doesn't really make sense. I guess in retrospect, i should have questioned the statement.

I love your suggestion of asking that ownership transfers to me after delivery.. I wonder if they'd go for COD.
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
IMO you have two conflicting priorities (which have probably been resolved in other transactions like this, although I don't know how):

1. inspect the trailer at the dealer for reasons already stated;
2. make sure the trailer is in the same good shape when it arrives.

The questions are -- when does title pass to you, and who takes the "risks" during transit to your house?

Personally I would inspect the trailer at the dealer, do all the title paperwork and DMV forms there, so that the trailer is legally YOURS at that time. The Ohio DMV can issue transit plates, and the dealer has probably done this before.

You would then work out insurance and the risk of damage on the road to you with the dealer and the shipper.

Again, not sure how this is handled typically. Have you discussed this with your sales person? He or she will know how they usually do this. My guess is that they want payment in full when you inspect and "accept" the trailer at the dealer.

Maybe? ---> "It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Good luck!

Peter
And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition. Any delivery-service would have insurance on the freight. My glass table-top ordered two weeks ago has been damaged twice now by FedEx and FedEx has notified me such in mid-shipment and made all returns and obtained the replacement (which they've also damaged enroute....)... the point being that getting it to me in good condition is THEIR for-profit-business and therefore THEIR problem ... NOT MINE.
Taking acceptance at the dealer makes the delivery reverie-rooms problem....the VERY THING she is trying to avoid. If she wishes to take that responsibility.... I'd suggest she get someone experienced in towing to accompany her to insure it, then go pick it up, and teach her how to tow on the way home.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
And my view is almost opposite... I would not "accept" the AS until delivered in proper condition.
. . .
Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Guessing that the dealer will not go for this IMO. Puts too much risk on their shoulders, from their perspective. They are in the business of selling trailers and want mainly the payment as up front as possible.

Curious to hear from the OP about what the dealer says.

My plan is to get them to assume as much responsibility as possible. I will surely keep you posted.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I very much doubt that they will let anything this expensive leave their lot until there's money in their bank account. The last thing they would want to do is to haul it 800 miles, not get paid and then haul it 800 miles back. On the other hand if you *do* hand them a check, you very much want to have title.

I'd bet you have a back and forth via Fed Ex to work out a bunch of paperwork ahead of time. You then will have a final process at the dealer if you go there. It's not an ideal setup from your standpoint. It is the way it is normally done.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Well said Bob.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #68
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Spring , Texas
[QUOTE
I wholeheartedly agree that going to Chicago is something that I should 100% do. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase of this magnitude and sitting at home wondering what is going on, is it going to make it back okay. Will I give up my opportunity to learn all the ins and outs, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Congratulations and best wishes on your new AS. Bet you will have a great time driving to and back. Please do share your experience and we like to learn from you. We will be driving 1200 miles one way from Houston to pickup Sport 22FB in Florida late August. It will be our first AS ...
playc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:31 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I agree with those who recommend you go out and inspect the trailer before they deliver it to your home. You're going to want a checklist when you do that pre-delivery inspection/ walk-through of your new trailer. Here's one suggestion for that: http://www.casarocinante.com/Blog/Sp...-a-new-trailer

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing the blog post... what an incredibly detailed list. Frighteningly long too! Thank you!