Old 06-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #43
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Hmmm ..... yes..... insurance. Yet another swamp to deal with.

Some people try to keep all their insurance with one company. That way any "this is covered there" issues all go to the same destination. It usually works with a range of outfits for cars, trucks, and homes. RV's turn out to be a whole different world (for some). If you are trying to keep things all with one outfit, check if they are familiar with RV's or not first. If they aren't .... look elsewhere. If you normally buy your polices piecemeal, then you can ignore all of this.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #44

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
RV insurance is something you should shop for rather than just using who your auto is insured with. You might check with Progressive who has some good coverage. On a new build you can get 5 year replacement of a comparable Airstream for the first 5 years, then years 6 on a total loss you will be reimbursed the purchase price of your trailer no matter the age. So if my 14 year old Classic would be totaled, the settlement would be the cost of the trailer that I paid. No depreciation! They also have a small premium roadside service package that will change tires and also tow your trailer and/or tow vehicle. So if the tow vehicle is disabled, they will also tow the Airstream. For those of us who live or travel in hail zones, the replacement coverage policy can save you. You can always opt for a market value coverage which will depreciate the trailer with age, or an agreed value policy.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
RV Insurance in Massachusetts... searching for a unicorn

Boxite, uncle bob and jcanavera,
Thank you for flagging insurance as an issue... the salesman had asked for my auto policy number. I (wrongly) assumed that it would just be a matter of adding it to my auto policy.

Apparently RV insurance in Massachusetts is not "a thing".... I have my auto with safety because that's who I have my homeowners with. I've got my homeowners with safety as they are the only insurer i could get living within 1/2 mile of the ocean which is considered a flood zone.

From what I understand in reading through threads is that your AS would be covered as part of your auto policy while towing it and by your homeowners while it is parked (Iike seasonally in a campground), but only if the camper is not registered. In Mass, any RV over 3000 pounds must be registered.

Conundrum...

There aren't many companies that offer insurance here. Late last night I found one small agency that seems to specialize in RV insurance in MA and NH (Georgetown Insurance). Planning to call them when they're open. I spent some time on the phone with my insurance agent yesterday who said I need the VIN before she can track down insurance for me. The paperwork is supposed to have been overnighted to me which would mean I'd receive it yesterday (I did not)...

Hoping this will be sorted out today. I held off on making any holiday weekend plans in case I need to drive to Columbus but time seems very compressed now.

Who knew there would be so much involved??!! (Clearly all of you did... me?, not so much).
reverie room is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Check with Amica, we've had them for 25 years, didn't need RV until move from MA to NH so not sure if offered in MA the other is Progressive, they insure everything, but I'm not sure if they operate in MA.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Check with Amica, we've had them for 25 years, didn't need RV until move from MA to NH so not sure if offered in MA the other is Progressive, they insure everything, but I'm not sure if they operate in MA.
Hi

We have had everything through Amica for a lot of years. I must admit, they asked some weird questions when we added the AS. I don't think the gal we had on the phone had ever done an policy on a TT before ....They have always been great in the past, this time I'm wondering a bit. I've never had an RV claim with them, but they have done very well on car, truck, and home claims.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Thank you both... will check with Amica. Progressive is a NO for Massachusetts - too bad.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Update: so I decided to call Progressive anyway. The person said their direct sales does not sell policies in Mass but that he would check if there are any agencies in Massachusetts that write RV policies with progressive. Answer: YES! Waiting for a call back as she was tied up
Old 06-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
I am learning that I think replacement cost is not something offered in Massachusetts. I feel like a red-headed step child. :-(
Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wayland , Massachusetts
I am outside of Boston too. Just made a deposit on a 2016 22 Sport today. $42,000. Purchased from Colonial. We were looking at one in Michigan (from a really nice couple), one in Nashua from the dealer there, but ended up with Patrick at Colonial. We are going down next week to inspect. (Can we get anything for you or do anything while we are there?) But nevertheless I would love to talk and learn the types together. I am so thrilled to get an Airstream as it was always on my bucket list. It feels so great to actually make a decision about one. Please get in touch. (jsfranchek@gmail.com).
jsfranchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfranchek View Post
I am outside of Boston too. Just made a deposit on a 2016 22 Sport today. $42,000. Purchased from Colonial. We were looking at one in Michigan (from a really nice couple), one in Nashua from the dealer there, but ended up with Patrick at Colonial. We are going down next week to inspect. (Can we get anything for you or do anything while we are there?) But nevertheless I would love to talk and learn the types together. I am so thrilled to get an Airstream as it was always on my bucket list. It feels so great to actually make a decision about one. Please get in touch. (jsfranchek@gmail.com).

That is so exciting! I think you might have got the 2016 that I called Colonial about!! I will send you an email so we can keep in touch. I think mine won't get here until after the 4th. And the one in Nashua, I saw that one too but it was sold a month ago and they didn't update their website.

So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
That is interesting that he told you they pay 30% premium for no. Dealer purchase service. I wonder if this is true Kris he was just trying to sell you on it.

Most dealers give preference to those that bought from them in terms of time. For example, I got an appointment for service for my door and it was 3 weeks out, and a friend called who didn't buy there and his wait time was several months.

If what the salesman stated is true, I would think every dealer would schedule the non purchase AS as soon as possible. I would if it were my business and I got 30% more.

Anyone else ever hear of this?
Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Maybe ellenbelle could shed some light on this? I found it curious as well.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Lot's of Lip Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverie room View Post
So I was first wanting to buy from Nashua because of proximity but realized they don't sell much there, then wanted Colonial but they didn't have any Sport 22's, then put a deposit on one in Chicago but felt it was just too far. Then worked things out with Ohio... when I spoke to the Chicago manager about getting my deposit back he wanted to know what my objections were to proceeding... I explained about it being so far in terms of bringing it in for service. He told me I can bring it to any airstream dealer for service and in fact airstream pays their dealers 30% more for warranty items on a trailer not purchased at that dealer. I think it's a good policy as makes that service provider friendly to everyone not just the people they made a sale to. It eased my mind... I am trying to figure out when I need service if I should go to Nashua or make the extra trek to NJ as those guys seem to run such a tight organization as compared to what I witnessed in Nashua.

Good luck!!!!
Just sharing our experience with Nashua. It's a lot of Lip Service. It's a very, very small operation that is focused on delivery of new units$$$$.

Routine maintenance service is very, very, very low on the priority list. The mechanic is so focused on delivery prep of new units he doesn't have a lot of free time for routine service.

All the best with your quest!
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:50 AM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
- , Massachusetts
Stremn... so glad to know that. It is sort of what I figured... was thinking the trip to NJ seemed like a good idea. Is that what you tend to do?