Old 11-25-2006, 08:25 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
some dealers do use outdated "what can ya afford per month" tactics
or work YOU from new sales person to experienced sales person to sales manager
and finally the finance officer (the closer) before getting their final price on paper....
I hate it when car dealers do that! I tell them, "Tell me what the bottom line is and then I can tell you if I can afford it." They love to play with the numbers to make it look like they are helping you. They usually "Get you into your monthly payments" by making the loan longer.

I hate the haggling part but I stand firm. I usually plan on being there a few hours because I know that the are trying to wear you down. I've also walked out because they didn't accept my terms. They left a message before I got to the house.

Old 11-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[quote=2airishuman]hi jd and welcome to the forums....

some dealers do use outdated "what can ya afford per month" tactics
or work YOU from new sales person to experienced sales person to sales manager
and finally the finance officer (the closer) before getting their final price on paper....

Hi, In car dealer terms, we call it a T.O. house. I hate these and so do most customers, But the idea is to wear down the customer before the kill. T.O. stands for "Turn Over" The volture who first meets you on the street turns you over to a real sales person. Then the salesman turns you over to the floor manager. Then the floor manager turns you over to the sales manager. Then the sales manager turns you over to the finance manager. When the finance manager is done with you, all you know is what your monthly payments are. For some customers, they don't even know for sure what they bought, got for their trade in, lenght of contract, percent of interest, or what useless options they signed for. And they seem to think their warranty will cover everything under the sun for life.

Bob

Old 11-27-2006, 10:34 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Since I graduated from college nearly 25 years ago I have only bought cars that were new and current year models. The first was from a variation of the T.O. type of a place. I knew what I had bought, what my monthly payments, length of term, and interest rate was, but boy was it a long process. Since then I have bought six new cars and knew what the dealer invoice was for each when I went into the show room and knew what my trade in was worth per Kelly Blue Book. I didn't trade in on four of the deals and had my financing arranged before I went to the dealership so I was in control of the deal. Some times the dealer tried the T.O. with me, but I didn't budge on what I knew. Once the owner interviened and accepted my terms and said that he didn't mind an educated consumer. (Of course for every educated consumer he probably gets 5-10 that aren't.) But I hate it when they start their outdated games, "How much can you afford to pay", or "What are you willing to pay", or "What do you think is a fair offer". I ususally hurt their feelings when they start that and then I leave. One of the true benefits of living in a major city is that there are at least four of every brand (domestic and import) represented at various dealers spread out around Atlanta so taking my business elsewhere is always an option and I am willing to tell them this and willing to do so and have done so on at least two occassions.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pensacola , Florida
just an update...i am still in the "game"...but if the rumored price increase in Dec. is fact, i may scrap the purchase of a new build in leu of searching for a used 25-28' AS...do the refurbe thing & be done with it...a as i am trying to "semi" retire and really want to start traveling again...right now it is time to go back to work & quit playing infantile "games".
Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Dawson
just an update...i am still in the "game"...but if the rumored price increase in Dec. is fact, i may scrap the purchase of a new build in leu of searching for a used 25-28' AS...do the refurbe thing & be done with it...a as i am trying to "semi" retire and really want to start traveling again...right now it is time to go back to work & quit playing infantile "games".
Hi, a reasonable increase in price each year would be considered normal, but a massive increase in price is usually a sales "SCARE" tactic. Airstreams and other things made out of metal were supposed to sky rocket up about 30% in price since about 2003 or so. [Because of the increase in demands for metals in China] I'm still waiting, so my 2005 will be worth more than I paid for it!

Bob