Old 07-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
angola , New York
Question from another Newbie - Mancave

Hi,

I just joined the Air Forums, and have only recently begun looking at used Airstreams.

Unlike many of you, I am not looking for an Airstream to take on the road. Rather, I am looking for an Airstream that I can park on my property and turn into a Mancave or spare bedroom for guests.

Here's my question - If I just need an Airstream that will be parked, how much could something like this run? I would be looking for the following features of this "static" Airstream:

1. No leaks and no floor that needs to be replaced or re-built.

2. I would want there to be working electricity (lights and A/C).

3. I wouldn't necessarily need working stove, as I will not be cooking in the trailer.

4. It's fine if the water and plumbing works, but not the end of the world if it doesn't.

In other words, I don't anticipate ever needing an Airstream that is road worthy - rather, the purpose is to have her stationary (well loved and taken care of, but a homebody).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd love to hear from you. thanks!

Jerry

Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would buy new one

then you could do what every you want and start using it today.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I would suggest you look for a larger unit, as they are less costly in general. Look for one which has already been "gutted" and the owner has lost interest in it, they can be a real bargain. Since you don't want to travel with it, one that had already been made essentially useless as a travel vehicle would be ideal for you. You could modify the interior to suit your needs with non RV equipment and interiors. You only need enough tires and brakes to get it home.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
For a work-area/guest room, a working toilet/sink would be a good idea.

Airstreams are popular as non-travel work/living spaces. There is a company in the U.S. (can't remember the name off hand) which has a large selection of shells. You pick-out the shell and they will customize to your sepcs.

If I were a land developer, I would build a subdivision with a static Airstream living/work space parked in the backyard. It could be a home office, playroom for the kids, spare bedroom, etc. That would add some retro cachet to the project! If everyone had an Airstream escape pod, I bet there would be fewer divorces. lol~!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Chicken feed . . .

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
1. No leaks and no floor that needs to be replaced or re-built.

2. I would want there to be working electricity (lights and A/C).

3. I wouldn't necessarily need working stove, as I will not be cooking in the trailer.

4. It's fine if the water and plumbing works, but not the end of the world if it doesn't.

You can probably pick up a larger, 1970's era trailer that is not restored or terribly road worthy for $500-3000 depending on how neglected it has been.

Your requirement that it has no leaks and a solid floor is going to add to the cost. Typically the only older trailers without leaks and rotting floors have already had some rehabilitation done to them. This will add to the cost depending on how much has been done. BUT! Since you don't care if this is road worthy, or fixed "right," you could take a trailer that has had the floor "fixed" by laying pergo, or something firm over the rotting sub-floor. The challenge will be finding existing leaks. Most sellers will swear that the trailer isn't leaking, but they all do.

Working electricity may not be too hard to find in a non-restored unit. Functional AC, again will depend on the trailer's level of restoration.

Plumbing is a nice-to-have as mentioned above, but if you don't intend to attach the trailer to your household sewer line, it won't be useable anyway. In fact, you might want to find a unit that has already had the bathroom removed so that you don't have a guest get up and "use" a non-plumbed toilet in the middle of the night!

Good luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
31!

Hey man!

An early to mid 70's 31 footer is just screaming for you to buy it!

Those trailers (a Sovereign of Excella) had the 4" flexi frame, which was prone to sag and separation. Based upon that, you can get one cheap. And, if you're not going to haul it thousands of miles per year, who cares if it has those. Utterly irrelevant to a trailer that doesn't move.

The 31's from that vintage are (in my ever humble opinion) some of the sweetest looking trailers ever made. They just didn't have enough frame, and so most of the ones you'll find will have sag and separation issues (do a search on those on here and you'll find more than you ever wanted to know). The Vista Vue windows are really cool, even if they're full of frosted flakes.

But dude, you could take a trailer destined for the scrap heap and turn it into the UberMondoSuperUltraManliHabitat. It'd be really cool.

So in short, you need a '70 to '78 Sovereign or Excella. You'll get all the plaids, tambour doors, and shag carpet you could ever want. But, it is a sweet trailer to start with and tweak into what you want.

Oh yah, on the leaks....it's nothing. Crawl up on the roof with a gallon of aluminum Kool Seal and a paint brush and hit the seams where one panel overlaps another. That's the only place they leak a lot. Get those and you're cool. (On edit, not actually true....if you are TOWING it then it will leak like a sieve where it's separated at the rear....but if you turn it into a cabin, that will not be a problem.....)

I think these models have the sweetest torpedo shape of them all.

Best of luck!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
angola , New York
Thank you all for your prompt and helpful replies - I live in the upstate Western New York area - I have seen a few Airstreams for sale locally on craigslist that are around 3 to 6 thousand range. I think that I just need to save my money, and set my sites on next spring or summer. Best of all, my wife is very supportive of this (I'm lucky!) - I'm looking forward to getting to know folks on this site. Thank you again for such a warm welcome
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Chicken feed . . .

They seriously did this to a 50's AS What a crying shame.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This trailer is used every day:-)

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote