Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pretty much bought and keep an Airstream so I can belong to the WBCCI and go on the caravans.

And you can put me in the ""all trailers have little quality control" camp. Went to a couple of RV shows before we bought the Airstream used. Did not see anything we liked better. Now the pull behind trailers are more popular so there may be better choices than there were then.

At least when you do get all the issues taken care of you will have a trailer that you can keep and use for a long time.

Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We have had our new Serenity 28 for 3 weeks. Have camped two weekends in it. No problems, no issues, no defects. Dealer (Southland RV) was great. And I am picky...
brick

brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
Yes.. Nothing In life is perfect... As long as it's something that can be fixed... If you think Airstream is poor quality, go look at the other brands...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
I had a couple of lights fail, which the dealer replaced, but that was covered by warranty...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #33
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
People expect Mercedes quality from a hand-built trailer. It isn't going to happen, because, again, it's hand-built, not built by robots on an assembly line where several hundred thousand identical units are made each year.
Many people realize this, and are happy with their RV, fix the little things that crop up, and enjoy camping.
Many people do not realize this.
Many people refuse to accept this.

Better quality is a goal to continue to work toward, but nothing hand-built will ever be 100% perfect.

Airstreams are the absolute worst travel trailers in the world. Except for all the other ones.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been Airstreaming for a long time. We are approaching 1,900 nights of Airstream camping. Are Airstreams expensive? Yes. Do they have some problems? Yes. Is there anything better out there? No.

We have always done most repairs ourselves. We are more competent than most dealer technicians. We have made these repairs part of the camping experience.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #35

Currently Looking...
Orlando , Florida
Gsnedike,
What a great poem! Shared it with my wife... it was very cool!! Still “longtime” tire kickers. Maybe....one day. Maybe.
Simbone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Hand built

As a former owner of two 50+ year-old hand built devices sold by Cessna - which were inspected by an FAA trained proctologist every year - it is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is the similar construction style and material that I can understand, and the perhaps naïve expectation that regular inspection and maintenance can preserve a great deal of the initial value.

The curse is the human factor. Don't know how many times I found something that was the result of some distraction - lunch break, fight with the spouse, phone call: some fastener not fastened, a wire unconnected, a collection of "extra" parts. Sometimes I was the human. And these were rarely straightforward to find, which is why I always flew alone and close to home, post-maintenance.

But once the shake-down is done and stuff fixed, my confidence is increasing in terms of capacity to know what is going on with the unit, how to keep it happy and how to make it last longer than the other approaches that we examined before buying last year.

As a young man my boss owned a Mercedes and I was impressed by its reliability. Over time I noticed how often he had it in the shop for scheduled maintenance, and realized the connection. When I bought my own '67 and began working on it, I appreciated the engineering that anticipated future maintenance as there was a bolt, screw, access panel for everything. That is one thing I wish for on the AS.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
10yr old thread...🥴

....nothing much has changed. 😟

Bob
🇺🇸

BTW.... I do bitch..a little

A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!
W. H. Auden

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel it’s supposed to be done"…..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbone47 View Post
Gsnedike,
What a great poem! Shared it with my wife... it was very cool!! Still “longtime” tire kickers. Maybe....one day. Maybe.
It is a great poem.

I see this is your first post on the forum. It's great to have you as a member. It's a great place to learn and share.

And to offer a bit of unsolicited advice, get an AS and start enjoying! Personally, I wish I would have made the decision much sooner.

Best regards!

Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote