Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
In every aspect of life people bond and connect over all manner of problems and mishaps
no matter how great or small. If everything was perfect, what would people have to talk about?

This forum is one big "complaint dept." where people can and do rant about every little thing.
And in the process you meet lots of great people and learn tons of useful information
from knowledgeable sources and random folks who have run across whatever your issue is.

I bought my Airstream new for the durability and cool factor.
I have camped the heck out of it for five years and it still looks new.
I still get stopped at every gas station by people who want to see it and ask questions.

I also discovered this forum after I bought mine. And I've learned a lot.
The forum friends I've made at rallies will last a lifetime as will my Airstream.

And it still makes me happy every time I pull out of my driveway with it
following me down the road.

BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Bill, my money says that you're going to buy an Airstream. You will take care of her and you will love her.

I have had my first AS for only 29 days and I have only one significant regret.... I should have done this 10 years sooner.

When it breaks, I'll fix it, the rest of the time I will enjoy it.

Cheers,

Dan
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Well, that is an interesting perspective . . . that only the more likely to complain actually post hereon.
Guess everybody reads into these posts what they want . . .sort of like the first response that saw my post as a complaint. Not complaining, just trying to understand.

You are correct, I really want an AS, just trying to balance teh expectation w/ the reality. I don't mind fixing things up; I'm handy w/ repairs . . . I just don't want to feel as if I've paid and premium and gotten a lemon. [sort of like when I had a Range Rover. Not enough sugar to offset teh sour.] So, just want to hear from the happy owners who bought, think the AS is not what they thought it would be, BUT STILL love the overall experience.
BillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have piped in a few times on this. I have a 1968 and would never buy I newer one. Well I take that back. If it was just my wife and I (retired) I might. We now have 4 kids. and the 68' i was able to stripe and redo how I wanted it. Bunks. Our friends have an 04' and also have four kids. The inside is Cheap. I said it.. But really it is no different from any other higher end trailer. So what do you pay for. Yep, rivets, and the name.

We also have friends with a 5th wheel with well over 40,000 miles on it. and still going great. Not all SOB's are bad and every trailer has it's problems.

But the bottom line is they don't make'em like they use too... And you are paying $15,000 + for the name. It sad but true.

I will have to get an SOB in a few years just for the room but won't get rid of the AS. as it is cool and tows great..

Get an older one. They are built better.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #25
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Quality Control Issues and you STILL bought a new AS?

I, like Brian purchased a 2006 model in July '05, now with 50,000 miles and hundreds of pleasant nights. We like living in our own dirt and don't miss motels. We first had a Streamline for 21 years, then a Silver Streak for14 years, now a '05 Classic 34 SOD since new. They all had a few leaks and QC issues from time to time. As for workmen ship, I have yet to find a loose or improperly bucked rivet on the '06. This contributes to the structural integrity you won't find in box trailers. Remember they are built all by hand and not robots. The Classic has really been a great trailer. Find a good dealer or do as I do. On all items that I can't fix I take them to the factory once a year. Their work is superb and no questions asked on comebacks. Great people to deal with and the same for those in the one stop light town of Jackson Center, OH. The free camping while getting serviced is also a fantastic deal. I say, if you haven't, bite the bullet and go for it. You will be glad you did.
Gus
"Space A"
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I've learned from reading boards for years, that the negatives are always the loudest and most likely to post. Some folks just like to bitch and wouldn't be happy even is something is perfect.

Take a look inside a typical white box. To me, they are disgusting with every surface covered with vinyl, fake oak and they also include plastic sink faucets! And, that is only the surface.

I visited Colaw salvage and it really gives you an insight into construction methods. A lot of the white boxes are 2X2 wood framed and stapled together. I can't imagine they would hold up very well.
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #27
Still Dreaming

1971 29' Ambassador
Sulphur Springs , Texas
Airstream might have some issues but...........

Manning G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Maryland
I too have owned various camping vehicles. The best all around winner by far is the Airstream. I think so highly of the privilege of owning one that I was inspired to write the following poem:

The Silver Bullet
May 11, 2018

Come ride the silver bullet
A trailer from the past
Constructed like no other
It’s truly built to last

The concept of a journeyman
From airplane type design
Handmade in Ohio
One trailer at a time

I travel ‘cross America
I have the urge to roam
But no matter distance traveled
I’m never far from home

My home’s a Bambi Airstream
Just 20 feet in all
With every new convenience
Even though quite small

I ride the roads across the states
And travel back in time
Discovering the USA
One village at a time

From the coastline of Seattle
To the East Coast Florida Keys
The California’s Baja sands
Or Maine’s cool ocean breeze

My Airstream is the answer
That opens up a door
With promise just a short drive on
There’s waiting so much more

Each turn reveals new beauty
Each morn a brand new day
God blessed us with this special land
We call the USA

It’s calling me to see it
In its beauty and its style
To bring it close and personal
If only for awhile

Come see me in my travels
Or come join me live my dream
I’m only just a click away
In my shinny new Airstream

George L. Snediker

When was the last time you came across a poem about a Jayco? Just saying!
Gsnedike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I pretty much bought and keep an Airstream so I can belong to the WBCCI and go on the caravans.

And you can put me in the ""all trailers have little quality control" camp. Went to a couple of RV shows before we bought the Airstream used. Did not see anything we liked better. Now the pull behind trailers are more popular so there may be better choices than there were then.

At least when you do get all the issues taken care of you will have a trailer that you can keep and use for a long time.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We have had our new Serenity 28 for 3 weeks. Have camped two weekends in it. No problems, no issues, no defects. Dealer (Southland RV) was great. And I am picky...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
Yes.. Nothing In life is perfect... As long as it's something that can be fixed... If you think Airstream is poor quality, go look at the other brands...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM   #32
Johnnyooo

2015 23' International
Colrain , Massachusetts
I had a couple of lights fail, which the dealer replaced, but that was covered by warranty...
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #33
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
People expect Mercedes quality from a hand-built trailer. It isn't going to happen, because, again, it's hand-built, not built by robots on an assembly line where several hundred thousand identical units are made each year.
Many people realize this, and are happy with their RV, fix the little things that crop up, and enjoy camping.
Many people do not realize this.
Many people refuse to accept this.

Better quality is a goal to continue to work toward, but nothing hand-built will ever be 100% perfect.

Airstreams are the absolute worst travel trailers in the world. Except for all the other ones.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:26 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been Airstreaming for a long time. We are approaching 1,900 nights of Airstream camping. Are Airstreams expensive? Yes. Do they have some problems? Yes. Is there anything better out there? No.

We have always done most repairs ourselves. We are more competent than most dealer technicians. We have made these repairs part of the camping experience.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Orlando , Florida
Gsnedike,
What a great poem! Shared it with my wife... it was very cool!! Still “longtime” tire kickers. Maybe....one day. Maybe.
Simbone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Hand built

As a former owner of two 50+ year-old hand built devices sold by Cessna - which were inspected by an FAA trained proctologist every year - it is a blessing and a curse. The blessing is the similar construction style and material that I can understand, and the perhaps naïve expectation that regular inspection and maintenance can preserve a great deal of the initial value.

The curse is the human factor. Don't know how many times I found something that was the result of some distraction - lunch break, fight with the spouse, phone call: some fastener not fastened, a wire unconnected, a collection of "extra" parts. Sometimes I was the human. And these were rarely straightforward to find, which is why I always flew alone and close to home, post-maintenance.

But once the shake-down is done and stuff fixed, my confidence is increasing in terms of capacity to know what is going on with the unit, how to keep it happy and how to make it last longer than the other approaches that we examined before buying last year.

As a young man my boss owned a Mercedes and I was impressed by its reliability. Over time I noticed how often he had it in the shop for scheduled maintenance, and realized the connection. When I bought my own '67 and began working on it, I appreciated the engineering that anticipated future maintenance as there was a bolt, screw, access panel for everything. That is one thing I wish for on the AS.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
10yr old thread...🥴

....nothing much has changed. 😟

Bob
🇺🇸

BTW.... I do bitch..a little

A LITTLE HISTORY….. MY WIFE SANDRA AND I HAVE BEEN STREAMING SINCE 1989. OUR FIRST WAS A 1963 22 FT. SAFARI. (kind of wish now it was still sitting on the pad) WE PURCHASED OUR 2003 25' CLASSIC IN JUNE OF 2004. BUILD DATE FEB. O3. NOW FOR THE GOOD STUFF.....

ITEMS NOTED BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY THAT WERE FIXED BY THE DEALER.

1) BOTH FRONT SEGMENT PROTECTORS SCRATCHED AND DENTED.

2) REAR BUMPER COVERS CRACKED.

3) ACCESS DOOR UNDER BATHROOM SINK WOULD NOT OPEN, REPAIRED BUT SIEZED SOLID AGAIN BY THE TIME WE GOT HOME FROM THE DEALER.

4) PANTRY SLIDE-OUT OFF BOTH TRACKS, REPAIRED BUT FAILED AGAIN WHEN LOADED ON OUR FIRST TRIP. Took pantry out, removed slide tracks, removed all ball bearings and divided equally between tracks, AS sent replacement tracks, holding as spares until needed.

NOW FOR THE Q/C AND PDI STUFF... IT'S IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT ALL CONCERNS LISTED WERE REPAIRED BY MYSELF. THE SELLING DEALER HAD CLOSED.

1) THREE OF THE CLEARANCE LIGHT BULBS.

2) TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENT LIGHT BULBS.

3) TWO SCREEN DOOR PROTECTOR SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK.

4) BAD VIBRATION IN LEFT FRONT SPEAKER, AGAIN MOUNTING SCREWS MISSED THEIR MARK. SCREWS REPLACED WITH VELCRO TAPE. CLOSE OUT PANEL NOW EASILY REMOVED.

5) WATER PUMP FAILURE CAUSED BY A SEPARATED WIRE INSIDE THE INSULATION WHERE WIRING ENTERS THE PUMP HOUSING….. FAILURE OCCURRED ON OUR FRIST CAMPING TRIP.

6) A MULTITUDE OF PINHOLES IN ACCORDION SHADE OVER SINK.

7) WATER LEAK AT SHOWER MANIFOLD CAUSED BY COLD WATER LINE BEING TOO SHORT.

8) THREE PLASTIC LATCHES FOR CLOSET DOORS AND TWO STORAGE COMPARTMENTS INSTALLED POORLY, MISALIGNMENT, CAUSING LATCH FAILURE.

9) STOVE IGNITER KNOB CRACKED/FAILURE.

10) BATHROOM MIRROR LATCH.

11) … HOLD DOWN SCREWS FOR CONVERTER MISSED THEIR MARK.
SLOPPY/NOISEY WATER PUMP INSTALL & WIRING. INSTALL RUBBER ISOLATION MOUNTS, RE-ROUTE AND SECURE WIRING HARNESS.

12) WATER HEATER<> THERMOSTAT NOT CALIBRATED<>SCALDING TEMP.

13) FRIDGE INTERIOR LIGHT INOP, SWITCH ARM CRACKED

14) KITCHEN SINK SPRAY HANDLE CRACKED,LEAKING WHEN USED.

15) CONSTRUCTION DEBRIS FOUND THRU-OUT TRAILER. BIC LIGHTER & CANDY WRAPPER UNDER RUG IN STREETSIDE REAR COMPARTMENT.

16) AC SHROUD, SKYLIGHT, FF VENT ALL CRACKED AT SCREW MOUNT HOLES FROM IMPROPER INSTALL.

17) BLACK TANK VENT LEAKING, POOR INSTALL/CAULKING. MISSING SCREWS.

18) WATER LINE FITTING UNDER BATHROOM SINK CROSS-THREADED, CRACKED, LEAKING.

19) FILIFORM CORROSION

20) CLEARCOAT PEALING FROM ENTRY DOOR HINGES AND BATTERY DOOR SURROUNDS.

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #38
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simbone47 View Post
Gsnedike,
What a great poem! Shared it with my wife... it was very cool!! Still “longtime” tire kickers. Maybe....one day. Maybe.
It is a great poem.

I see this is your first post on the forum. It's great to have you as a member. It's a great place to learn and share.

And to offer a bit of unsolicited advice, get an AS and start enjoying! Personally, I wish I would have made the decision much sooner.

Best regards!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote