Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #1

Purchasing New Airstream

I am interested in buying a new Classic, probably a 31, and I was wondering what is the best way to go about this process. Are there any larger dealerships in the County that offer better discounts than other dealerships? Is there anyway to figure out what the average markup is on the retail price? Can you just go to the factory and order?
HikerMEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 10:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome aboard HikerMEB!

Your profile doesn't give a location. A dealer is your best bet -- http://www.airstream.com/dealer_locator/index.html

I do note that a dealer in Texas is trying to clear out a 2003 31' Classic on eBay at this link .

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Search the net and You will find many Dealers discounting prior model years. I however went to a local dealer as the trade in process and value where much better. I did pay full list but trade value was very good at local dealer making up for non discounted price. Take Your time and find exactly what You want whether local or long distance , If at all possible tour the factory before purchasing , it answers a lot of questions you may have. Best of all good luck
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Having purchased my first A/S ('04 Safari 28W) about 3 weeks ago from our local dealer (Windish RV, CO), this issue is still pretty fresh on my mind. There's a lot of helpful advice here on the forum. My 2 cents...

1) The "usual" discount on a new trailer is between 15-18% according to most forum members. This may be more true for outgoing model years than for new model years. A popular current model year trailer (e.g. '04 Safari 25) may not be as negotiable. My wife and I made a spreadsheet using a RV loan calculator (use google.com and type "RV loan calculator) comparing monthly payments based on % discount, Interest rate, and down payment. The difference between a 12% to 20% discount over a 15 year term wasn't as big as we thought. You may want to consider other factors in addition to %discount to make your final decision.

2) RV dealers are similar to auto dealers in the way they wheel and deal. Make it obvious that you are an informed consumer. Know what other dealers are asking for a similar unit.

3) I could have received a better deal on my unit if I was willing to travel a large distance for it, but it wasn't worth the time off work to travel.

4) Our local dealership as well as their A/S mechanic said that they simply do not have the time to take care of non-dealer-purchased A/S's with as much work they have on their units. Not sure if that is true (can they do that?) but that also played a factor for us as they are our closest service station at 300 miles.

Abe
Old 11-03-2003, 06:46 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Talking OT

What the ..... is a Blue Devil doing in CO?
BTW my son is a Tarheel, DD is a diehard Dukie and mom is FSU all the way and guess what I am?
Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
UVA by a long shot, though Ohio State wahoo's in their fight song I believe. (I couldn't figure out the strengths in being a Gopher)

Look at the culture of our country reflected on this site -- how many would look at 'DD' and come up with 'darling daughter' of course! ( or 'dearest darling'... hmm )

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:08 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Exclamation

HEY HEY HEY UVA ALL the WAY!

You got it Bob!

needless to say ACC time is very wild around here!

Actually the one that blows peoples' minds is "BB" which is what I call my DW Beautiful Bride

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

We LOVE our 2002 31' Classic. Looks like the one on E bay. Paid 45K just like the starting bid.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #9

Hi everybody, brand new here and am wondering about buying a used Airstream. Maybe a new one.

Thanks to Moe, I'm here with questions upon questions, I've always loved the A/S, especially the way it looks, so please give me all the info you can , thanks Herb
Oldest rookie firefighter on EWVFD, with new titanium hip.
WANT AN A/S BAD
BMW1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Aaron,

Aren't devils supposed to live in hot environs? It's in the 100s here in the summer. But it's a dry heat compared to those nasty summers in Durham! I can remember sweating while I took a shower.

As where your allegiance may lie, I suppose I can co-habitate with you on this forum despite who you may root for. But if is not with dear old Duke, I will pray for you.

Abe
Old 11-03-2003, 10:37 PM   #11
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW1200
Hi everybody, brand new here and am wondering about buying a used Airstream. Maybe a new one.

Thanks to Moe, I'm here with questions upon questions, I've always loved the A/S, especially the way it looks, so please give me all the info you can , thanks Herb
Welcome Herb,

Always great to see another DieselStop member among the Airstream ranks.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 06:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW1200

Glad to see you made it over here, Herb. I'll start you out looking at Airstream's website for current models and list prices. Your '03 F250 V10 4X4 should be able to pull anything there. Since Airstream went to the new web format, the specs are missing the GVWR and the cargo capacity of different models is calculated differently. Some state cargo capacity without subtracting water and propane, and some do subtract it.

Here's their Frequently Asked Questions page.

Here's their Weights PDF file. It'll give you an idea what models were produced what year, as well as the missing GVWR.

Dig in!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
Hiker MEB.........

did anyone actually answer your question? As a Floridian, call Gates Airstream in Tampa and get their bottom line on the coach you want. Let them know you are going to shop it around, even it means going into another State for pick-up. Let's face it, if you can save 2-3 grand, it could be worth going after it. There are a lot of good used Airstreams coming on the market in the Melbourne, Florida, area due to the shutting down of a big Airstream-exclusive park there. It may be worth a trip over if you are close. Your truck is big enough to pull stumps, much less the largest of all Airstreams. Good luck.

Joe
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote