Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Buyer Guidelines
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietguy View Post
Forget about the factory solar. For less than the money you save by not ordering it, you can buy a generator (or two) AND a portable 160 or 200 watt portable solar panel and still have $1000-$2000 left over!

That’s what I did. No regrets.
Hi

Last time I saw a price list, factory solar was $2,200. On a new trailer with the normal discount, you would be paying a bit under $1,800 for it. It includes upgrading to group 27 AGM batteries so that also needs to be included in the "what you get" list.

Tough to see how you can have $2,000 left over when you only are < $1,800.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Congrats on your TB purchase.

We just returned from Zion NP where the daytime temperature stayed North of 100 degree. Kept both AC’s running 24 hours a day- the good news is we were completely comfortable.

Our TV is an 18 Navigator (built on the same platform as the F150) with tow package and 10 speed tranny. Cruising speed at 65mph - climbing was not a problem but not much engine braking on steep descents.
aztrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Replace the Cayenne with a Cayman or 911!
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
Replace the Cayenne with a Cayman or 911!
LOL, we already have a Boxster, 911 Turbo, 912 and a Macan!!
SharonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonF View Post
LOL, we already have a Boxster, 911 Turbo, 912 and a Macan!!
Ouch! Hopefully you also own a Porsche repair shop, that's an even more expensive addiction than Airstreams
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
atlanta , GA
Remember, the Tommy Bahama weighs more than the flying cloud because of the door in the back. It adds a bunch of weight.

I towed my TB home with a Tundra, Terrible drive. I couldn't imagine trying to drive mountains with it. Also, 4 wheel drive is excellent to have in times of boondocking or parking in gravel spaces. Last thing you want is to get stuck with your trailer. If your only staying in campgrounds, no problem. I'm not one for that myself.

I have the Honda generator and put in the micro air soft start. It will run the 1 ac no problem, even keeping the generator in economy mode.
kkdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #27
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
1. We purchased the Nano coating with our 19 foot. We are considering saving the $$'s and waxing on our own if it is only a few times a year. Any thoughts?

2. Is the extended warranty worth it? Also purchased with the 19 foot as it was our first Airstream. With only a year's experience, thoughts on whether we would typically need the coverage or should we self-insure and take the risk?

3. Will a Ford F150 3.5 V6 with Ecoboost be good as a tow vehicle? (Sadly we will have to sell our red Porsche Cayenne which looks nice pulling our 19 foot!)

4. Our last decision is solar or generator. May have a few instances where we want the air when off grid but not sure if the solar would be easier and on those instances we just sweat it out!

Any help greatly appreciated!!
IMHO...

1. Save the bucks (to add an AC) and wax the trailer yourself a couple or three times a year depending on where you go. Doing the job yourself does a couple things first of which gives you the opportunity to inspect it close up and personal, rivets and all. Secondly, a beer tastes much better after spending the day waxing the sucker...

2. I have never seen an extended warranty worth the money. The exclusions are carefully researched to maximize profit and lessen expenditures. You're the expenditure...

3. I have had a 25' Safari that I towed with an F-150 Eco-boost and it did a good job for the most part. Mountains, going up and down,made me pay real close attention of the fatiguing kind... Later, I got a Silverado 2500 diesel for the 25/ and later, our 34' with slide. It made all the difference in the world as far as climbing ability and more importantly, going back down. Rarely used the brakes instead I relied upon the exhaust brake - the added power & stopping/slowing made the difference between a white-knuckle drive and a drive enjoying the scenery... really. Pay attention to your loads and weight capacities if going with an F150 or 1500. They're easily maxed out.

4. Unless you're going to fully invest in major solar like wulfraat, stick with a suitcse or smaller mounted solar to keep batteries topped off and a generator or two to run the AC's & everything else. Having capacity is much better than not. And as to the AC's, get two. As mentioned, there's always a spare if one goes down but more importantly, having two gives you a better cooling range than just one. You absolutely WILL appreciate that. Guaranteed!

Good luck with the adventure!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Houston , Texas
Quote:
We are trading in our 19 foot for a 27'. A few questions we need assistance with:

>We purchased the Nano coating with our 19 foot. We are considering saving the $$'s and waxing on our own if it is only a few times a year. Any thoughts?

>Is the extended warranty worth it? Also purchased with the 19 foot as it was our first Airstream. With only a year's experience, thoughts on whether we would typically need the coverage or should we self-insure and take the risk?

>Will a Ford F150 3.5 V6 with Ecoboost be good as a tow vehicle? (Sadly we will have to sell our red Porsche Cayenne which looks nice pulling our 19 foot!)

>Our last decision is solar or generator. May have a few instances where we want the air when off grid but not sure if the solar would be easier and on those instances we just sweat it out!

Any help greatly appreciated!!
We have a 2018 27 TB that we bought in June 2017 and have about 11,000 miles towing with a 2016 Ford 150 Ecoboost. The F-150 works great for me and I am glad I opted for the 36 gal gas tank and HD tow package. We have towed up and down major grades up to 12%. You do need to gear down, especially on the downhills. The turbo power when getting on highways is impressive, even when compared to my Hemi Grand Cherokee ( I used to tow a 23' International with the jeep).
It is just a personal opinion and I am certain to get a lot a lot of blow back but I think the Nano treatment is a waste of money on an Airstream. This is a dealer markup and a source of profit for high end car dealers and some Airstream dealers. My AS dealer sells Nano products and my Sales Manager and I concluded that the NANO is not worth the cost on Airstreams. I have used a product called ProtectAll about twice a year and find it is simple to use and works great on Aluminum, fiberglass, and car paint. You spritz it on, spread it with a sponge, wait 10 min and wipe it off with a clean cotton or microfiber rag.

The extended warranties are a little tougher to answer. It all depends on the fine print. The "lifetime" warranties some dealers offer are a come-on in my opinion. You still pay an annual fee and must have costly yearly inspections done. I usually buy extended warranties on my vehicles and those have provided a good piece of mind. The Airstream factory warranty is excellent. Anyone buying a new AS should just decide that a factory visit will be in their future. The initial build quality in AS is sadly lacking. Fortunately, many of the repairs after the warranty period can be done by you or a couple of seasoned Airstream owners. At over $100 an hour labor, extended warrantied look a lot better but you must be very careful to determine what exactly is covered.

Finally, as to the solar package. I had a two panel solar package installed at the factory on our 2018 TB and I have doubts it ever has worked. In fact, I leave tomorrow for a 1200 mile drive to the factory to have my TB checked out to see why the solar does not charge and why the AGM batteries do not hold a charge when the rig is stored. I like the idea of independence off the grid and think solar is an excellent idea if you can get it to work.

I hope all this helps. I had the exact same questions two years ago,
Greg
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:31 PM   #29

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Allen , Texas
We have a 2017 27' TB that we pull with a 2016 F150 Ecoboost w/towing package. We have a Blue Ox WD hitch. We had no trouble on our last trip through New Mexico and Colorado. We probably have 250lb of gear besides my petite wife and me.

We have 2 ACs and I wouldn't consider a single unless I never traveled south of Maine, and we live in Dallas.

We really like our TB, and hope you do, too.
pftphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #30
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
The Cayenne is one of the two or three best tow vehicles you can use. Far safer better handling and much more maneuverable than a pickup truck. We have hundreds of customers towing all sizes of Airstreams including 34’s with Cayenne’s and Touareg’s. The Cayenne is very impressive. Send me an email if you would like more information on how to set it up. andy@canamrv.ca

The hitch needs to be strengthened for the Tommy.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:30 AM   #31
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
The Cayenne is one of the two or three best tow vehicles you can use. Far safer better handling and much more maneuverable than a pickup truck. We have hundreds of customers towing all sizes of Airstreams including 34’s with Cayenne’s and Touareg’s. The Cayenne is very impressive. Send me an email if you would like more information on how to set it up. andy@canamrv.ca

The hitch needs to be strengthened for the Tommy.
Hi

..... so I should cancel my order for the Ferrari?

Watching the neighbor take his Ferrari in and out of the driveway ... at least I would not worry about ground clearance on the AS .. . That's one thing the Cayenne does have over it !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
For towing anyway.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote