Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
Purchasing mid-'80s Avion

We are looking at purchasing a mid-80's 30' avion trailer, does anyone have any input or knowledge on these?

Seems to be in very good condition, new tires, furnace, battery and frig in the last year.

Any thing I should look for? We would probably only use it for a year or two until our Cruiser is done.

I think our half ton suburban would pull it ok on short trips anyway.
Thanks Doug
__________________

__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Moderator
 
blmitch5's Avatar

 
2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,221
Images: 1
I don't know anything about them but it looks great!
__________________

__________________
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
http://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
I just notice they're easy to buy and hard to sell around here . . . about the same as a big boat Airstream, only without the cult following. Looks good to me.
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
Thanks for the reply's, just got back from looking at it. It is in very nice shape but heavier than I thought, about 7,000 pounds so it would max out my suburban.
The price seems good for any body looking. 1985 Avion Alum Travel Trailer
__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
By throwing up the link, I'd be guessing you've said no to it . . .
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
By throwing up the link, I'd be guessing you've said no to it . . .
We decided it was to big for us and the to big for the suburban but it is in ready to go condition.
__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 253
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman54 View Post
We decided it was to big for us and the to big for the suburban but it is in ready to go condition.
best trailer made,i have owned two 34ft and two 30ft avions and still have a 89 30 ft avion. not true they are hard to sale, don't know where that come from. best made trailer on the road and i would love to have a new one if they were still made. no never ending repairs like a airstream. for that price it will sell quick, just watch.
__________________
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Ahab's Avatar
 
2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock60 View Post
best trailer made,i have owned two 34ft and two 30ft avions and still have a 89 30 ft avion. not true they are hard to sale, don't know where that come from. best made trailer on the road and i would love to have a new one if they were still made. no never ending repairs like a airstream. for that price it will sell quick, just watch.
Best made? Thats a stretch.
__________________
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Splitrock's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,398
Blog Entries: 20
I wrote: "hard to sell around here". Maybe it's our proximity to salt water . . .
__________________
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...g?t=1278182564
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
JimGolden's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Images: 7
Show Me!

They are, in fact, extremely well made.

I have looked at many different makes of trailers, and none I have looked at come close.

Airstream? No. Sorry folks. The old 'streams are sleeker but their build isn't even close. The new 'streams look just like the mid 80s Avions.

Holiday Rambler? Not bad; the ones in the late 90s had steel frames, aluminum superstructure frames, and fiberglass roofs. They cheapened them after that and went to the rubber roofs.

Award? What a joke. I thought they were super great until I really looked at one. Even though they do have a fiberglass roof that looks like a v-hull boat upside down, they don't join it properly to the sides. So, they leak at the juncture of roof to wall and rot up.

Anything made by Fleetwood? No way. The older ones with the stick frames were junk. The later ones with the all metal frames and aluminum or glass slab sides were better, but still use the rubber roof.

Ironically, Fleetwood bought Avion from Cayo, ostensibly to get the name. They let Cayo continue to make them until 1989. After that they axed the silver trailers and stuck the Avion name onto a wooden framed line of big fifth wheels. That killed Avion.

Carriage? They are nice, but have the dreaded epdm rubber roof.

Titanium? Also very nice with some excellent engineering, but use that rubber roof.

It's hard to avoid the dreaded rubber roof....

Avion is similar to Airstream but without the problems of Airstream's inadequate frame. You will never have sag or separation with an Avion. Avion also used a very good suspension setup through 1987 after which they initiated a cost savings copied the rubber axles that Airstream uses. Prior to that, you still had metal springs and shock absorbers of some fashion (Moyr-Ryde or Adjust-A-Ride) that rode well and didn't wear out. Both were excellent.

At any rate, if anyone can tell me of a trailer built better than an Avion, I am all ears and want to see it.

This one in the ad would make a nice trailer. They are heavier than the same year Airstream because they are built more solidly. The frames are very stout. The new 'streams, however, are heavier.

I have a 1987 34 foot triple axle Avion and am very pleased with it in thousands of miles of towing.

Pre=PS; this is my 1000th post so bally-hoo to me

Cheers,
__________________
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
tinman54's Avatar
 
1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 682
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
They are, in fact, extremely well made.

I have looked at many different makes of trailers, and none I have looked at come close.

Airstream? No. Sorry folks. The old 'streams are sleeker but their build isn't even close. The new 'streams look just like the mid 80s Avions.

Holiday Rambler? Not bad; the ones in the late 90s had steel frames, aluminum superstructure frames, and fiberglass roofs. They cheapened them after that and went to the rubber roofs.

Award? What a joke. I thought they were super great until I really looked at one. Even though they do have a fiberglass roof that looks like a v-hull boat upside down, they don't join it properly to the sides. So, they leak at the juncture of roof to wall and rot up.

Anything made by Fleetwood? No way. The older ones with the stick frames were junk. The later ones with the all metal frames and aluminum or glass slab sides were better, but still use the rubber roof.

Ironically, Fleetwood bought Avion from Cayo, ostensibly to get the name. They let Cayo continue to make them until 1989. After that they axed the silver trailers and stuck the Avion name onto a wooden framed line of big fifth wheels. That killed Avion.

Carriage? They are nice, but have the dreaded epdm rubber roof.

Titanium? Also very nice with some excellent engineering, but use that rubber roof.

It's hard to avoid the dreaded rubber roof....

Avion is similar to Airstream but without the problems of Airstream's inadequate frame. You will never have sag or separation with an Avion. Avion also used a very good suspension setup through 1987 after which they initiated a cost savings copied the rubber axles that Airstream uses. Prior to that, you still had metal springs and shock absorbers of some fashion (Moyr-Ryde or Adjust-A-Ride) that rode well and didn't wear out. Both were excellent.

At any rate, if anyone can tell me of a trailer built better than an Avion, I am all ears and want to see it.

This one in the ad would make a nice trailer. They are heavier than the same year Airstream because they are built more solidly. The frames are very stout. The new 'streams, however, are heavier.

I have a 1987 34 foot triple axle Avion and am very pleased with it in thousands of miles of towing.

Pre=PS; this is my 1000th post so bally-hoo to me

Cheers,
Thanks Jim and congratulations on the milestone.
We were impressed with the trailer and yes it does seem very well made. There was no evidence of leaks from plumbing or the structure. Only water damage I saw was on the fold up side table which may have been from an open window.
The frame looked a lot heavier then that on a airstream and actually had a 30" platform added on the rear bumper to carry a motor cycle.

It will be a good trailer for someone.
__________________
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.

http://tinman54.blogspot.com/
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
Airline's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 260
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 2
Avion

I just picked up an '87 32S.I was looking for a rear bedroom airstream,it's hard to find.Then I found this Front Kitchen-Rear Bedroom Avion locally and had to have it.The '80s interior is something I "don't have to have",but its coming out anyway...
__________________
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Silverwanabe's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 523
Images: 107
You can tow with a smaller tv on flat lands
My father used a B150 dodge with a 318 2 barrel and standard rear axle.
We could not use the ac. We stayed on level ground, no mountains.
In 87 we traveled to Flager Beach Fla from NC.

Also my father used a 80 Cadillac Fleetwood with a 3.23 rear axle, Olds 403 and TH400 transmission.

Enclosed are actual pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_022.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	136919   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_082.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	136920  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_020.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	136921   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_080.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	136922  

__________________
Greg
Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Silverwanabe's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 523
Images: 107
Interior pics of the Avion and my Father's 2nd unit, a 75 Wilderness purchased new in 75.

Once you have gone round, there is no going back to square
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_040.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	136923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_041.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	136924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1-18-2009_042.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	136925   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-17-2009_003.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	136926  

__________________

__________________
Greg
Winston Salem, NC
WBCCI 5218,
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winnebago from Avion from TelStar from Airstream pinckneymi Full-Timing 9 03-15-2011 02:29 AM
Brake controller for an '82 Avion 34V Section8 Brakes & Brake Controllers 17 01-25-2011 08:43 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.