Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
Purchasing from out of state dealer question

As mentioned in another thread, we are close to purchasing a 2014 classic. We live in Florida and are going to see Bates over in Tampa about a 31 foot they have on order arriving late October.. There are a couple dealers in other states like Colonial up in NJ with very similar Airstream classics on order also.. If I buy out of state how is sale tax and registration handled? Does the dealer handle that or does he just hand me the keys and I pay the Florida sales tax when I register and title it in my home county in Florida..
Once again thanks for putting up with all
the newbie questions.
M1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Colonial will handle all that if you want or if you pay cash they can issue you a Temp Tag and you can take care of it yourself when you get back to FL. I'll be very surprised if Colonial doesn't give you a much better price than you can get from Bates.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
In April of this year we bought our 2009 20' FC from a dealer in Surprise Arizona as a Washington State resident. We paid the AZ sales tax which is lower than our Washington "use" (sales) tax. After we got the title and applied for the title transfer in Seattle we only had to pay the percentage difference between the AZ tax and Washington State tax (about 2.3% higher). From what I've heard most states reciprocate like that so you don't get nailed at both ends. So if the tax rates are the same in both states (or local taxation districts) you should only have to pay once -- if the states reciprocate. We paid cash and the AS was on consignment so the rules might be different for new? I'm sure there are horror stories about this so I suspect it would pay to check in advance. Jeff
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
I've purchased 3 Airstreams since 2006. Bought the first at Out of Doors Mart in NC. They issued me a Temp Tag and when I got back to VA I went to the DMV and paid the tax/title/tag fees. Trailers 2 & 3 were bought at Colonial. In both cases they issued me a Temp Tag and when I got to SD where I am now resident I went to the courthouse and paid the tax/title/tag fees. Each of those 3 transactions took me less than 10 minutes. Why make easy things complicated?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Cherry Log , Georgia
Thanks very much for all your help
M1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
My experience, twice couldn't get a temp tag in Arizona. After a 30-minute wait in line in April the licensing agent in our county in Seattle told me she wasn't really sure how to transfer the title. "Hope it works out", she added. She was quick to collect what tax I owed however. Why was there such a long wait, I asked. "They closed down the other licensing office location in White Center (about 10 miles away) for a criminal investigation." The lines continue out the door. I want to live in your states. Different strokes in different states I guess.
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Move to Idaho, it took me 7 minutes to switch our title and alot cheaper than Washington for sure.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
None , Happy
I bought from Bates and I live in North Carolina. They handled everything and the purchase experience could not have better!
thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Depends on state, dealer collected tax then returned it back to me in the form of a check which I used to pay the tax in another state. I guess it was a state regulation but amounted to swapping checks.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote