Old 09-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
DFK,

The loan papers and licensing affidavits were sent overnight to us and arrived on a Friday requesting that we sign all the papers and overnight the "time sensitive" materials back to them by Monday! We both feel rather insulted by the whole scenario. I wonder if it was a push by this dealer to pad their 3rd quarter sales results. We were born at night but not last night. We knew they were sending some sort of packet, but as you or a previous poster wondered, we thought it would be for review and to take with us to the closing and final inspection. That is not the case at all. We've stated our level of concern to our sales person and we will keep you posted. We do not wish to disclose the dealer at this time, but we do feel this was a questionable business practice.

It has certainly soured the whole purchase process and dropped our level of trust.

We'll keep you posted.

Thank you all for your advice and support.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Relax, Relax, Relax.

Hi, we live in Southern California and bought our trailer in Oregon. We paid a deposit to show we are serious. At the time the trailer was not even made yet. Later we transferred the balance. Everything worked just fine. We picked up our new trailer months after we paid for it. You could stand to lose the deposit if you back out; But loan papers are nothing. [No money exchanged] Remember one thing, vehicles are not legally yours until you drive them off of the lot. [That seals the deal] When we bought our Lincoln the sales person was so excited to see us drive off of the lot, but I previously road tested the vehicle before I signed on the dotted line, so instead of driveing off of the lot, I handed the sales person a list of things I wanted fixed. After the items were fixed to my satisfaction, then I did my official drive off and legally sealed the deal. So send them your deposit, sign the loan papers, and if you don't like what you see when you get there, cancel the deal. Or re-negociate a new deal.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Robert,

I'm not so certain about what you say about signing papers and not sealing the deal until you take posession.. Wouldn't that be like signing a mortgage and not moving into the house to delay the deal? Once you sign a loan and they title that vehicle or trailer in your name... it's yours and yours only. You can pick it up at any time. I'm sure any attorney would take your money and fight for you, but the bank and the state of record are going to say you own it. I would agree there would be some gray area there regarding insurance coverage and damage to trailer while not in your posession, but once that trailer gets titled to you, the state would not be able to reissue that title as a "new" trailer.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down We Did The Same!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
We've bough two trailers several hundred miles away. Both times we did a Credit Card deposit over the phone and did the loan paperwork etc. after we arrived and inspected the trailer.

If you are uncomfortable doing the loan paperwork in advance. Don't do it.

I trust my Airstream dealership. They have always been honest and above board in the past. I still would not sign the loan docs on a trrailer I have not seen. Too big of a price tag involved.
We followed the same procedure. I really don't understand the reason for

signing all the paperwork before you have had a chance to inspect the rig.

You might mention to them that you have brought this up on our Forum, be

interesting to see what there reaction is!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, a house is not really yours until you do your final walk through and sign papers approveing the condition and that everything there is what you dealed for. Once you sign off on the walk through, now it's yours. Then and only then can they activate your loan. On a licensed vehicle it is not legally yours until you drive it off of the lot; meaning you have accepted it. [taken posession / sealed the deal] The selling dealer cannot license it until you have signed papers stateing exactly how the names are to appear on the title. This is one of the last things they do before handing you the keys and wishing you on your merry way. DMV papers are vertually never turned in on delivery day and deals that don't go through for some reason or another become an "unwind". The dealer cannot title the vehicle until you take posession.
When I bought my trailer I was given a ten day trip pass and a "Title of origin". The title of origin is a title from the manufacture which was given to me to take home to California DMV in exchange for a California title. My dealer never titled my trailer for a license.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman
Robert,

I'm not so certain about what you say about signing papers and not sealing the deal until you take posession.. Wouldn't that be like signing a mortgage and not moving into the house to delay the deal? Once you sign a loan and they title that vehicle or trailer in your name... it's yours and yours only. You can pick it up at any time. I'm sure any attorney would take your money and fight for you, but the bank and the state of record are going to say you own it. I would agree there would be some gray area there regarding insurance coverage and damage to trailer while not in your posession, but once that trailer gets titled to you, the state would not be able to reissue that title as a "new" trailer.
Hi, you're right an attorney will always accept your money, but you don't have to do this. If this transaction is illegal report it to DMV and they will take care of everything. They can and will take their sales license from them and they will be instantly out of business. It's a long story, but I bought a used car and the dealer would not fix several items that were considered safety items. I got a quick education from a co-worker and went back to that used car dealer and demanded that they made these repairs. They threatened to kick my @$$. Then I stated that I was going to report them to DMV and gave them the name of the local DMV agent. They, in fear of what DMV could do to them, suddenly turned really, really, nice to me and fixed everything on my list and detailed my car for me. Also, some members have stated they bought hundreds of miles from home, but this is not the same as buying out of state.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-07-2007, 03:47 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
In RI the law is if you pay but don't take possession it is not a completed sale and yu can back out any time unless the dealer gives you copies of the contract and the title to the vehicle or has registered all ready and gives you the contract and the new registration